baumer

Ideas about GI Joe: Now top 11 and top 6 for dom OW

I know the decision's been made, but just my :2c:I think it should have been left as it is. 44 people (including myself) predicted GI Joe 2 would get in the top 12 - we were wrong, the 10 people who correctly predicted it wouldn't make it were right. They should get a material benefit for their correct prediction.At the very least, they should get to choose which of the films in their top 12 is removed (even if it's already been released and won't make it). As it is, removing number 12 for those 10 people could work against them if it's a film that will now make the top 11. Why should they lose out on points when they were the ones who picked GI Joe 2 wouldn't make it? I hope that makes sense. LOL.

• Like 1

I know the decision's been made, but just my :2c:I think it should have been left as it is. 44 people (including myself) predicted GI Joe 2 would get in the top 12 - we were wrong, the 10 people who correctly predicted it wouldn't make it were right. They should get a material benefit for their correct prediction.At the very least, they should get to choose which of the films in their top 12 is removed (even if it's already been released and won't make it). As it is, removing number 12 for those 10 people could work against them if it's a film that will now make the top 11. Why should they lose out on points when they were the ones who picked GI Joe 2 wouldn't make it? I hope that makes sense. LOL.

That is an awful idea. Why would those 10 people be allowed to take off any movie they want when the other 44 people can't? GI Joe being removed didn't help anyone, there is no reason to reward anybody for what is out of their control.We just need to move on. Shit happens.

That is an awful idea. Why would those 10 people be allowed to take off any movie they want when the other 44 people can't? GI Joe being removed didn't help anyone, there is no reason to reward anybody for what is out of their control.We just need to move on. Shit happens.

They shouldn't be penalized for making a correct call. Take Totem for example, he didn't have GI Joe 2 in his top 12 - which was the right call. But he's now lost his 12th movie 'That's My Boy', but has had to keep Battleship and Dark Shadows. Now if That's My Boy makes the top 12, he has a legitimate right to be pissed - he's lost out on those points through no fault of his own.Those 10 people correctly predicted that GI Joe 2 wouldn't make the top 12 (you generally need to get $120m to get there). Well, they were right and the studio obviously agrees with them or it wouldn't have been pulled. I think everything should have stayed the way it was - unpredictable things happen in box office - so what if a movie gets pulled or an opening day changes?

You make a good point Ariadne. Shit does happen. And this decision is going to cause havoc with the scoring this year. But it would also cause controversy if we did it the way you suggest. I'm not saying your way isn't a good way, because it is, but no matter what happens, what decision is adhered to, someone is going to get screwed in some way. And I feel bad about that.

While it might sound self serving as I don't have GI Joe, I agree with Ariadne, unexpected events are an intended part of the game, that is why we make predictions for the whole summer rather than have just weekly questions. We were supposed to predict the grosses of the summer films and GI Joe will be making 0 and should count as such.

Edited by Tower

I get what you're saying but honestly GI Joe if it were released would indisputably be in the Top 12.Saying it therefore made $0 or is unforeseen isn't fair a justification for the 10 people who didn't have it in.I'm not sure what the predictions for the #12 movie are for people who have 12 without GI Joe, but if it were listed, and say someone had predicted the #12 film at $90m, let's face it, GI Joe was never looking like making less than $90m.The flaw in my argument is that 10 people thought it would bomb anyway so obviously it wasn't a lock. But given where we are/were now right before GI Joe was yanked, you'd have to be living under a rock to say that it wasn't going to make at least $110m.

I get what you're saying but honestly GI Joe if it were released would indisputably be in the Top 12.Saying it therefore made $0 or is unforeseen isn't fair a justification for the 10 people who didn't have it in.I'm not sure what the predictions for the #12 movie are for people who have 12 without GI Joe, but if it were listed, and say someone had predicted the #12 film at $90m, let's face it, GI Joe was never looking like making less than $90m.The flaw in my argument is that 10 people thought it would bomb anyway so obviously it wasn't a lock. But given where we are/were now right before GI Joe was yanked, you'd have to be living under a rock to say that it wasn't going to make at least $110m.

I disagree personally that it was locked to make the top 12. But the decision's been made. If TDKR moves to Wednesday or any other due dates are changed I don't want people clamouring for a do-over, because changes are always possible and you have to take that into consideration.

I have been thinking a lot about Ariadne's post today and I think what I would like to do is this:I'm going to keep it as the top 11, but as a small white flag, a truce so to speak, I think what I can do is grant those 10 people who did not have Joe on their top 12 a bonus of 7000. It won't make up for anything and to be honest, it might be more than they deserve, but in the whole scheme of things, they did call it correctly that Joe did not make the top 12, so this seems kind of fair. Thoughts?

That called it because they thought GI Joe would make less than his 12 place, and not that it was going to be moved to March because the guys at Hasbro almost had an heart attack on May 18 :lol:

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

I don't see any reason to give anybody any points.... but it is your game baumer.IMO the move was more unfair to those who had it in Top-12 than those who had not (e.g. I might have got points for calling its gross correctly but now I will not :) ).