A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

My first exposure to Beetlejuice was the comic. I loved that comic book series, but it features Lydia and Beetlejuice teaming up to take on the underworld and the monsters there. Needless to say, I was very confused watching the movie the first time 

same with the cartoon. When I watched the movie I was surprised that Baldwin/Davis were the main characters and Beetlejuice actually has a minor role 

• Like 1

Don't know what the source is, but I have severely underestimated this movie. I just don't see the appeal. Good for box office and Warner Bros., though. They need this hit after that anemic summer season.

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Don't know what the source is, but I have severely underestimated this movie. I just don't see the appeal. Good for box office and Warner Bros., though. They need this hit after that anemic summer season.

It's certainly been a rollercoaster year for WB, starting out strong in the Spring (Dune 2, GxK) and then crashing and burning all Summer (Watchers, Furiosa, Horizon Pt1, Trap), but between the one-two punch of this and Joker 2 they will absolutely rule the Fall season. Similar to how Disney ruled the Summer season with just two films. 

Edited by harry713

I’m surprised by the amount of surprise re; the spectacular tracking #s.

Beetlejuice is iconic, and one of the last 80s touchstone brands entirely untouched by nostalgia-baiting, market over-saturation, and dismal returns.

All this film had to be is a competent, inoffensive, quirky 4-quad crowd pleaser, and by all accounts so far that’s what it is (for better or worse)

I happily joined the Beetlejuice 2 > It club many months ago, first club B.O. ever felt confident and enthusiastic about “joining” here. Expect to be vindicated. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Beetlejuice is iconic, and one of the last 80s touchstone brands entirely untouched by nostalgia-baiting, market over-saturation, and dismal returns.

All this film had to be is a competent, inoffensive, quirky 4-quad crowd pleaser, and by all accounts so far that’s what it is (for better or worse)

I happily joined the Beetlejuice 2 > It club many months ago, first club B.O. ever felt confident and enthusiastic about “joining” here. Expect to be vindicated. 

Right, it's motherfucking Beetlejuice! It's the rare "cult" movie that was also properly popular. 

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Ghostbusters was just if not more iconic  but was ruined by bad handling.

I admit, I though  Beetlejuice 2 would do well, but I was not expecting a 100 Million opening being in the cards.

18 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Every college I know is doing a Thursday night discount buy out screening for their student body (with the student fund picking up the tab)...

Both my girls are going for $3 on opening night, which includes popcorn.  

The college push is a new thing, and should really sky the previews (when you'd normally expect opening night NFL football game and random fall Thursday might really depress them).

If this is as big a hit as it looks like, I suspect Warners will  give serious attention to reviving it's other big Horror Comedy hit of the 80"s, "Gremlins". Pretty obvious move.

Granted, it has a mixed History with the first one being a huge hit and the second one no doing all that well at the box office, but then Gremlins 2 is actually considered to be better by many nowdays. It was probablyt just a bit offbeat for audiences in 1990, with it doing Meta in a big way before Meta was a thing. I guess people were expecting another adventure with Gizmo, and, although they got that, they got a lot they were just not used to and did not get.

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Glad that Beetlejuice is proving to be much more popular than Ghostbusters.

This has the potential to do more opening weekend than the last three Ghostbusters films have grossed in total. 

The last 3 movies all did over 200 WW so I think that's just a little bit of a exaggeration. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Tomatometer up. 78%/6.3

Not too  bad. so far Worst case I do not see it dropping below say Ghostbusters Afterlife and going below 60 unless the next round of critics is crankier. Fingers crossed it stays above 70% though.