Taylor

Weekend estimates pg 30 Brave 66.7

But, with a few exceptions here and there, they have also handled BATMAN and SUPERMAN extremely well througout the years.

For Batman, sure, though I would give the lions share of the credit to Nolan. This is the same WB that almost killed Batman as a film franchise in the 90s. But Super Man? Theyve had 2 good Super Man movies, the last being released in 1980. The other 3 have been varying degrees of bad. That they havent made a Wonder Woman yet, i think, speaks volumes about their lack of conviction. Edited by Orestes

I don't get it, I thought this 3D slump had ended. Puss in Boots had 51% 3D share and The Lorax, 52%, maybe it's because they were released when families were hungry for animations. When summer comes we have all this animation madness and I guess they just can't choose 3D for all of them.Rio (April 15) - 58%KFP 2 (June 6) - 45%Cars 2 (June 24) - 40%The Lorax (March 2) - 52%Mad3 (June 8) - 45%Brave - 34% ??If there's a pattern, Ice Age will have a low 3D share similar to Brave.

I don't get it, I thought this 3D slump had ended. Puss in Boots had 51% 3D share and The Lorax, 52%, maybe it's because they were released when families were hungry for animations. When summer comes we have all this animation madness and I guess they just can't choose 3D for all of them.Rio (April 15) - 58%KFP 2 (June 6) - 45%Cars 2 (June 24) - 40%The Lorax (March 2) - 52%Mad3 (June 8) - 45%Brave - 34% ??If there's a pattern, Ice Age will have a low 3D share similar to Brave.

I think it's partly that there are just many more 3D movies out atm, as opposed to early in a year, so there are less 3D screens/shows, etc.

Maybe someone else can verify this but it seemed the Brave percentage of 3D to 2D screenings was relatively small. I am assuming smaller than KF2. If a movie is targeting a mostly younger audience (I think Brave skews younger than KFP2 but not younger than Lorax), it makes sense to release on more 2d since the glasses are a pain for children especially. Was the Lorax on mostly 3D screens? Because if not, it is odd the percentage would be so disparate for the two films.

3D share for Brave was 34% :circles:

This hasn't been a good year for the medium. Even Avengers had a low 3D share (<50%).

That's the best news I heard all day. 3D needs to crawl back to the hole it came out of.

Here are the Pixar opening weekends, adjusted for inflation and 3D, using a $3.50 boost for every 3D ticket. I adjusted Up, TS3, Cars 2 and Brave down for their respective 3D shares and then up for yearly inflation.

Finding Nemo: 92.05m

The Incredibles: 89.87m

Toy Story 2: 89.25m (125.36m 5-day)

Toy Story 3: 87.45m (60% 3D share) (this accounts for IMAX 3D, which made 8m from 180 venues, but not for the more expensive tickets)

Monsters Inc. 87.35m

Cars: 72.51m

WALL-E: 69.41m

Brave: 58.12m (34% 3D share)

Up: 57.87m (52% 3D share)

Cars 2: 56.14m (40% 3D share) (this did play in IMAX 3D but only made 2m from 120 venues)

A Bug's Life: 56.09m (77.11m 5-day)

Toy Story: 52.92m (70.96m 5-day)

Ratatouille: 54.00m

Obviously these aren't direct comparisons. You can't compare the box office markets across years, and you can't determine how much 3D factors into the yearly admissions price average. But it's interesting to see a rough comparison, especially between Brave, Up and Cars 2.

I remember in 2006 when Cars' 60.1m opening was considered a disappointment, now it's far stronger than any Pixar opening that isn't TS3. Otherwise, it's clear how much of a novelty CGI was for before 2005. None of those early films would have opened as strongly today, even with 3D or IMAX. TS3's opening remains kind of impressive because CGI was far cooler commodity in 1999 than in 2010.

This also shows how little interest there was in a sequel to Cars. It dropped over 20% from Cars' OW admissions.

Edited by Gopher

Animated films in general have seen a big, big decline in admissions. Basically everything is shamed by Shrek 2 and 3, and Ice Age 2 also sold far more admissions on OW than any animated opener in recent years.I'm sure a lot of that can be attributed to oversaturation, but it is fascinating that animated films have been declining like this.

Toy Story 3 underperformed domestically in my opinion

We were somewhat underwhelmed at the time, yes. Avatar and Alice in Wonderland wildly inflated our expectations, and the fact that a lot of us here are Pixar loonies (for lack of a better word) and were spitting out numbers that challenged 500m didn't help.It basically did TS2's run adjusted for inflation. On the downside, that was after 11 years of video/DVD sales, a 3D rerelease, twice the budget and a big summer opening. And adjusted for inflation it's the lowest grossing #1 movie of the year since the 90s. On the upside, like TylerDurden said, CGI movies are no longer events that everyone goes to, and Toy Story 1 was insanely well received too. And it's hard to consider a movie with a billion dollars worldwide and a 98% RT score a disappointment. I might do this for DWA movies (just the CGI ones) too. I'll post that tonight.

nope, it actually sold less tickets than Toy Story 2. And barely more than 1. I can't believe it. With 3D Toy Story 3 should have went past 500M

If only a non-sequel could be the 1st 500M animated...

Is an event of that kind still possible in these days?

hmm