Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Don't write off Moana already. It's from the directors of Aladdin and Little Mermaid. At this point last year, many claimed the Animated Feature award was between Lego and HTTYD2, and we saw how that turned out. :P

Not to mention it's supposed to be a musical. And we all know how insanely popular the last Disney musical was. ;):D

Congratulations BH6!   :D

This marks WDAS' second consecutive win and marks Disney's 3rd consecutive win overall.  This might well extend into the longest consecutive wins for the studio since Rango broke the chain Pixar (And Pixar did not release an animated film that year) was on seeing as Inside Out or the Good Dinosaur will probably win next year, followed by Moana or Zootopia, and a Wrinkle in Time or a Pixar film, and Giants.  That equates to about six years of Disney dominance in this field.  Of course, this is ONLY if the films have great critical and audience reception AND Disney and Pixar just keep bringing the goods but as always, you can never be 100% sure as Disney might end it's new Renaissance before the six year is up and who knows, a new animation giant might crawl up on us. :D

2014: FROZEN 

2015: Big Hero 6

2016: Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur

2017: Moana / Finding Dory / Zootopia 

2018: Toy Story 4 

2019: Giants 

Pixar released Cars 2 on the same year with Rango so there

TinTin should have won that year. :(:angry::(

Nah... Rango was one my favorite movie that year. Glad it won. Happy for Gore Verbinski too.

Just looking back... 2009 had some awesome nominees for Best Animated Feature. Coraline would've been my choice. But, man, Princess and the Frog, UP and Fantastic Mr. Fox were outstanding as well.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Definitely did not deserve the Best Animated Feature Oscar. This movie was so vapid and dry of any emotion, and felt more like a bad Marvel copycat than a fun superhero movie. Baymax saves the movie from being a trainwreck, IMO.

I personally don't see this new Disnsy Renaissance some people are talking about.

• Like 2

Definitely did not deserve the Best Animated Feature Oscar. This movie was so vapid and dry of any emotion, and felt more like a bad Marvel copycat than a fun superhero movie. Baymax saves the movie from being a trainwreck, IMO.

I personally don't see this new Disnsy Renaissance some people are talking about.

While I agree, I think Frozen and Hero 6 are likeable enough. Guess I'd have preferred Dragon 2 won. But, honestly, I didn't enjoy any animated feature from 2014 to the extent of being annoyed that it didn't win. That includes LEGO Movie too. Good one. Good fun. Lots of B's and B+'s.

• Like 1

Among BH6, Lego and Dragon, I prefer BH6. It certainly has lots of emotion that help build it, but maybe it focuses too much on Hiro and Baymax that some of the other storylines were underdeveloped.

Lego was fun but the "Lego blocky" animation is really distracting and unnecessary. Lego as a commercial brand won.

Dragon was beautiful, but it had a major plot issue when the mother showed up just like that without a sufficient reason why she never chose to see the abandoned kid she left. She controlled the dragons, for goodness sake. The sequence where mom meet dad and suddenly dad died was also very contrived.

• Like 4

Among BH6, Lego and Dragon, I prefer BH6. It certainly has lots of emotion that help build it, but maybe it focuses too much on Hiro and Baymax that some of the other storylines were underdeveloped.

Lego was fun but the "Lego blocky" animation is really distracting and unnecessary. Lego as a commercial brand won.

Dragon was beautiful, but it had a major plot issue when the mother showed up just like that without a sufficient reason why she never chose to see the abandoned kid she left. She controlled the dragons, for goodness sake. The sequence where mom meet dad and suddenly dad died was also very contrived.

Agreed. Dragon 2 's script should have been a lot better

• Like 2

Nah... Rango was one my favorite movie that year. Glad it won. Happy for Gore Verbinski too.

Just looking back... 2009 had some awesome nominees for Best Animated Feature. Coraline would've been my choice. But, man, Princess and the Frog, UP and Fantastic Mr. Fox were outstanding as well.

I take it you haven't seen The Secret of Kells. You should.

• Like 1

Kells was great.

The 2009 nomination slate was amazing. The only thing missing was Ponyo (yes, the Japanese version came out in 2008, but the English version came out in 2009).

As a big Ghibli fan, and a huge Miyazaki follower...

No, Ponyo was not missing.  It was where it belonged...not on the list.