The Amazing Spider-Man

113 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Amazing Spider-Man

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This was really great actually. It's better than the 2002 one, if only for the fact that Garfield and Stone kick Maguire and Dunst into the pavement. They're just better in every possible way, acting wise, chemistry wise, looks wise. The spider scene was fucking terrifying and I couldn't stand to look at it. The actual Spidey plot wasn't so great, but maybe that's got more to do with the fact that Spider-Man just isn't an interesting superhero because I wasn't so taken by it in the 2002 one either.A-

• Like 1

What do you mean by airtime? It's not like they play this kind of stuff on the radio, unless there's some radio station I'm unaware of that plays movie themes.

It's played far more in the movie than Silvestri's theme is.And yes, there are in fact multiple radio stations that do so. Edited by ddddeeee

It's played far more in the movie than Silvestri's theme is.And yes, there are in fact multiple radio stations that do so.

Honestly, the theme from the Avengers resonated much more with that revolving shot of the Avengers finally together in the final battle than in any moment in TASM.

Honestly, the theme from the Avengers resonated much more with that revolving shot of the Avengers finally together in the final battle than in any moment in TASM.

I thought Silvestri's score added little to nothing to the movie, I'd rather Whedon ditched him for the sequel.

Nothing new here, the first 45 minutes seemed like a remake of the first Spider Man movie. It was really boring to see the same story about how he get his powers and the death of his uncle, I thought they wouldn't focus so much (damn... this took 1/3 of the movie) on this, I mean, doesn't everybody know this already? The rest of the movie was predictable and the way Flash became his friend was stupid, this felt like a completely unnecessary reboot, from beginning to end.D+

Flew from scene to scene with no real sense of pacing. Didn't make much sense considering there wasn't all that much actually being packed in. Everything dealing with the Lizard was absolutely atrocious.Garfield was great. Stone, Sheen and Leary were all really good in thankless, underwritten roles.

Sadly a mixed bag for me, wanted it to be good but it was just ok, the basketball scene was awful, just awful, Flash was mean & then suddenly his best buddy, some things were never explained at all, it was just frustrating. I love this character and in some ways they nailed it, his attitude, his look, the way he moved, the action was great and so were the SFX, I enjoyed the lizard, and the actors were all very good in their roles.But and this is a big BUT, once again, for some reason that I will never understand, his mask was off over and over again, hey kid - take mask off / hey Gwen - take mask off / hey Capt. Stacey - let him take the mask off / hey everybody - throw mask away...Now the point of the secret identity is that nobody knows who you really are, so your loved ones are safe, so why would he keep taking it off? That drove me nuts.It's making big $$$ so the sequel will be here in May 2014, hopefully by then they will fix the things I didn't like.6/10

• Like 1

I respect the fact that it seems they really wanted to make this a great film, but in general, it fails in that aspect. It's not a bad, but outside of the romance sub-plot not much really works that well.

I did think the romance was handled well (some scenes were still a bit melodramatic), and Garfield and Stone were clear improvements from the previous SM movies (Stone was the highlight of the movie for me). The first 40 minutes are extremely slow and tedious, and it really is just too much "been there, done that" in feel. There's isn't a lot of action, which is fine, but the problem is so many scenes seem to have little to no purpose other than to pad running time. The handling of the Lizard was simply awful, it's hard to really get into a comic book movie when they give you no reason to give a rat's ass one way or another about the villian.

Above all, I just can't get over the innate melodrama and cheesiness that seems to be prevalent in all the SM films. Maybe that's the style, but not for me. Strangely enough, the romance angle and Garfield and Stone's chemistry were enough in that it wasn't a bad viewing, but without them this would have been pretty fucking bad, IMO.

B-/C+

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

Really mediocre...in spite of changing villain and some other aspects it still didn't felt anything new. 1st and 2nd movies look masterpiece infront of this dull and boring reboot. Stone and Garfield's chemistry was good. Although Garfield was ok but I really don't like Garfield's "almost always on the verge of tears" kind of acting.

• Like 2

I was very much against this movie from the moment I heard about it. A remake? Seriously? Then, some of my friends told me that they really enjoyed it, so I decided to give it a try.I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. The story was good, but the chemistry between the leads is what stole it for me. Andrew Garfield was perfect for Spiderman. This version totally blows the older versions out of the water IMO. Also, from reading some previous reviews people talk about this one being darker and not as humorous. Am I the only one who felt the complete opposite? If found this version much more hilarious. I laughed more watching this film than I did watching The Avengers. (A movie I also enjoyed)This one is an A for me! (Possibly even an A+, but I need to watch it again before I make a final call on that.)

Edited by friendofnarnia

There's an attitude taken by many Hollywood franchises that goes, "oh, we'll just get to the good stuff in the sequel." A lot of these origin movies are less lucky than Spider-Man and don't get enough support for said sequel to be a reality. But ASM doesn't deserve the sequel that's already in pre-production. Not at all.

All my problems stem from one complaint: nothing in this movie makes any goddamn sense. Even in Webb's world (if you could call it that) and the tone at hand, I couldn't justify most of these character decisions. There's no story. If they didn't shoehorn in one of the worst villains in recent superhero movie memory, it would literally be all setup for the sequel I don't want to see.

There are isolated scenes and performances I enjoyed. Sheen, Stone and Leary all work. And for Webb's first time doing action, the beats and scale of his set pieces are pretty good. But 'wasted opportunity' doesn't quite cover it. The tragedy is, they had a clean slate, and this isn't any better than Spider-Man 3 was.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1