The Amazing Spider-Man

113 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Amazing Spider-Man

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

for chasmmi:without giving anything away, let's just say that Gwen Stacy and the Green Goblin have a huge story in the comics so it would not be unexpected if the Green Goblin shows up

I just had a moment where you slap your head because you feel stupid you didn't think of this before but......I just realized why The Lizard looks like crap.

Because they are setting up the GG in the sequels and he's obviously going to be the Ultimate version which is a monster like The Lizard. But GG is the main event and they didn't want The Lizard stealing his thunder. If they want the sequel to be ginormous, GG will have be the villain. They may have been thinking of him for #3, but after TASM's performance thus far they have to pull out all the stops to get this franchise back on track.

Just got back from seeing it with my wife. My overall impression is that they tried too hard to make it 'Spider-man: The Amazing Dark Knight'.I think the first Iron-man movie was the first superhero movie I could remember that for the most part took itself seriously but still showed a guy that had FUN with being a superhero. And ever since then I require my superhero movies to be FUN. The third Batman movie will be grandfathered in (as I really enjoyed the first two Nolan films) and can be as serious as it wants to be, but I expected a Spider-man movie of all things to be much more fun than TASM was. I mean who is more freakin' fun than Spider-man for crissakes?There were few if any laughs in the (admittedly fairly empty due to the time of day) theater I was in. The film just seemed dreary. Take the 'discovers his powers scene'. In the movie 10 years ago they captured a sense of wonder. In this one Peter beats up a bunch of people on a subway. I just prefer a sense of wonder to an abundance of seriousness I guess. :(I thought Andrew and Emma did a good job....and since I tend to dislike origin movies to begin with (since it's difficult IMO to fit that all in WITH an interesting villain as well) I'm interested to see what can be done with this cast in a sequel. But hopefully they lighten up a bit.Other good stuff: I thought the 3D was pretty decent...not too much...not too little. I also like that Peter was more of a science nerd and the return of the mechanical webshooters.Hated: The crane scene. I get it...New Yorkers love Spidey. But it was handled much better in Spider-man 2 with the subway car scene. It just seemed so heavy handed and silly in this one when the construction workers flocked to help him.Finally a quick note about the plot. I'll sound like a hypocrite because I loved Avengers despite its plot being identical to Transformers 3, but since I had FUN with that film and TASM bored me I DID notice that TASM basically has the same plot (villain scheme wise at least) as another recent superhero movie...bad guy wants to disperse an airborne chemical agent over the city to poison people....sound familiar? Why didn't they just call it Spider-man Begins and get it over with? If Gwen pulls a Rachel and dies in the second film (and yes I know what happens to her in the comics) the circle will be complete!

Edited by Adm56
  • Like 1

I had pretty much no expectations walking into this movie. I liked Raimi's trilogy (SM3 less so), but I could always acknowledge that they were deliciously cheesy.What works:- Garfield is a solid if unspectacular Spider-Man/Peter Parker. I'm glad that they tried to give him a sense of humor, as that was the thing most sorely lacking from Raimi's trilogy. While the results are inconsistent, Garfield pulls the comedy off pretty well.- Emma Stone, Martin Sheen, and Denis Leary are all great. I wanted to see more of their characters and less Peter Parker skateboard montages.- The middle section of the film with Spider-Man hunting down his uncle's killer had real promise.- I liked Spider-Man's design in this movie.What doesn't work:- Lizard was a misfire. The design sucked, he was written poorly, and his motivation and ultimate goal made no sense. He reminded me of the cheesy villains from earlier Spidey films, except not as well thought-out. I think he was a good choice to start off the new franchise with, but aside from the action scenes with him, he was boring and forgettable. I wish they had spent more time to develop the relationship between Peter and Connors, something SM2/3 did fairly well.- The story. I get the impression that this is a rewritten SM4 draft which featured Lizard as the villain and more of Gwen Stacy and her father. The entire first half of the movie seems like it's out of a completely different film, the origin feels slapped on, and it doesn't add anything meaningful. Peter's parents' backstory is hinted at and then promptly forgotten about halfway through the movie. Peter seeks revenge against Star Tattoo and we literally never hear about it again. There was no "revenge is bad" message to be found here, and certainly not as well as it was delivered in Batman Begins.- The pacing was hugely uneven. The film seemed to be stitched together from obligatory scenes you need to have in a Spider-Man movie. (high school, etc)- Aunt May was a completely pointless character. If there's anyone who Peter SHOULD tell he is Spider-Man, its her. Instead, he tells virtually everyone other than her.- There was no sense of what Spider-Man's abilities were. I mean, we saw them onscreen, but Peter didn't go through much of a discovery of his strengths and weaknesses. One of the things I loved about the first Iron Man was that the entire second act is devoted to Tony Stark testing his suit and becoming familiar with his abilities. Other recent superhero films (First Class, Captain America) have done a good job of this as well. There wasn't any of that in TASM, other than a scene where he gets in a fight on the subway which plays more like a parody than it does a discovery of his powers.- Stan Lee's cameo. One of the most bizarre scenes in the film. I know its become a trend to use him in Marvel films, but I don't think he was used well here. Easily his worst cameo since TIH. I don't like his cameos where they beat you over the head with "Hey, look! It's Stan Lee!" (SM3 is guilty of this as well).- The mid-credits scene only existed for the sake of having one. It added nothing, and since we don't know who the man talking to Connors is, it has no impact. I know many viewers who didn't know who Nick Fury was at the end of Iron Man, what Mjolnir was at the end of Iron Man 2, or who Thanos was at the end of the Avengers. But at least the answers to those were a short google search away, and if you had read the comics, you knew who they were. There is no answer for who Connors was talking to at the end of this movie. I think the filmmakers did not want to commit to it being a specific character, so they made it ambiguous. Which again, is consistent with the rest of the movie: averse to taking risks.This is just a brief list. There are many other things that bothered me but that I can't think of right now. Likewise, the film had some strengths that escape me at the moment. What you read above is what stayed with me after the film was over.Overall, I probably won't go out of my way to watch this one again. It wasn't as good as the first two Raimi films, was barely better than SM3, and I predict the sequel sinks like a rock at the box office, no matter what this one makes.B-

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing it with my wife. My overall impression is that they tried too hard to make it 'Spider-man: The Amazing Dark Knight'.I think the first Iron-man movie was the first superhero movie I could remember that for the most part took itself seriously but still showed a guy that had FUN with being a superhero. And ever since then I require my superhero movies to be FUN. The third Batman movie will be grandfathered in (as I really enjoyed the first two Nolan films) and can be as serious as it wants to be, but I expected a Spider-man movie of all things to be much more fun than TASM was. I mean who is more freakin' fun than Spider-man for crissakes?There were few if any laughs in the (admittedly fairly empty due to the time of day) theater I was in. The film just seemed dreary. Take the 'discovers his powers scene'. In the movie 10 years ago they captured a sense of wonder. In this one Peter beats up a bunch of people on a subway. I just prefer a sense of wonder to an abundance of seriousness I guess. :(I thought Andrew and Emma did a good job....and since I tend to dislike origin movies to begin with (since it's difficult IMO to fit that all in WITH an interesting villain as well) I'm interested to see what can be done with this cast in a sequel. But hopefully they lighten up a bit.Other good stuff: I thought the 3D was pretty decent...not too much...not too little. I also like that Peter was more of a science nerd and the return of the mechanical webshooters.Hated: The crane scene. I get it...New Yorkers love Spidey. But it was handled much better in Spider-man 2 with the subway car scene. It just seemed so heavy handed and silly in this one when the construction workers flocked to help him.Finally a quick note about the plot. I'll sound like a hypocrite because I loved Avengers despite its plot being identical to Transformers 3, but since I had FUN with that film and TASM bored me I DID notice that TASM basically has the same plot (villain scheme wise at least) as another recent superhero movie...bad guy wants to disperse an airborne chemical agent over the city to poison people....sound familiar? Why didn't they just call it Spider-man Begins and get it over with? If Gwen pulls a Rachel and dies in the second film (and yes I know what happens to her in the comics) the circle will be complete!

I have to agree with you. This film likes a mixture of Spider-Man films and BB and TDK except nowhwere near executed as well as those films. The TDK trilogy works as serious films because Batman has always been a dark character but Spidey like Iron Man is a pretty light character. It seems they wanted to copy TDK's success but in the process they made yet another botched Spidey film. Sony just can't get this right. Anyway, I can't blame Webb for the films shortcomings except maybe the action scenes. I feel like this entire film is the contraption of a bunch of Sony execs thinking they know what we want with a film. They still haven't learned their mistakes from Spidey 3.
  • Like 1

What. The strongest points in the film are Webb's strengths. With character, with innovative framing, etc.I don't read the comics but in reality why would Spiderman be anything like Iron Man? RDJ basically reinvented the superhero on the big screen. The fact that he's a super billionaire and genius doesn't hurt that. Who is Spiderman? He's a loser nerd who gets powers. He's the actual "ideal" since he's an everyman. If anything Spideryman should be more about discovery a la Batman than recklessness, adrenaline and exuberance a la Iron Man.Personally as well, Andrew Garfield is a better Spidey than Bale, Batman. I cannot deny the Nolan movies are great, slightly overrated now with the amount of Internet trolls, but great nevertheless but they work also much more because of their story. I should see the Fighter because did Bale win for that? He's supposed to be fantastic but he's no Leo di Caprio or Hugh Jackman (Prestige) or Ledger or Caine or Eckhart in Batman.Again, maybe it's me not growing up in what seems to be comic book America or at least this site where everyone seems to know villains, stories and whatnot. But, I don't see why the movie can't exist on its own terms. This isn't LOTR or Harry Potter or even Twilight or Percy Jackson. They have so many stories, so many villains, so many reboots, one-offs and whatever else that they should not care about the "fans". I would think that at least 70% of all audience members seeing superhero movies in America are casual. Iron Man and Batman reinforce this point and so does Avengers. Some argue that Spidey was boosted by the 9/11 patriotism and hence also would have benefited from a lot of casual filmgoers. I'd think that anyone writing a film should have knowledge of the character but should be free to experiment and take new directions which a lot of people here seem against being done. (As they are with other superheroes as well)

• Like 1

What. The strongest points in the film are Webb's strengths. With character, with innovative framing, etc.I don't read the comics but in reality why would Spiderman be anything like Iron Man?RDJ basically reinvented the superhero on the big screen. The fact that he's a super billionaire and genius doesn't hurt that. Who is Spiderman? He's a loser nerd who gets powers. He's the actual "ideal" since he's an everyman. If anything Spideryman should be more about discovery a la Batman than recklessness, adrenaline and exuberance a la Iron Man.Personally as well, Andrew Garfield is a better Spidey than Bale, Batman. I cannot deny the Nolan movies are great, slightly overrated now with the amount of Internet trolls, but great nevertheless but they work also much more because of their story. I should see the Fighter because did Bale win for that? He's supposed to be fantastic but he's no Leo di Caprio or Hugh Jackman (Prestige) or Ledger or Caine or Eckhart in Batman.Again, maybe it's me not growing up in what seems to be comic book America or at least this site where everyone seems to know villains, stories and whatnot. But, I don't see why the movie can't exist on its own terms. This isn't LOTR or Harry Potter or even Twilight or Percy Jackson. They have so many stories, so many villains, so many reboots, one-offs and whatever else that they should not care about the "fans". I would think that at least 70% of all audience members seeing superhero movies in America are casual. Iron Man and Batman reinforce this point and so does Avengers. Some argue that Spidey was boosted by the 9/11 patriotism and hence also would have benefited from a lot of casual filmgoers. I'd think that anyone writing a film should have knowledge of the character but should be free to experiment and take new directions which a lot of people here seem against being done. (As they are with other superheroes as well)

I never said that Andrew Garfield needed to be running around acting like RDJ. I just think that a character like Spidey would be better served by a tone that is closer to the Marvel Studio films (The Iron-man films, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers etc) as opposed to the Nolan Batman films.I think it's obvious that TASM is an an attempt to capture lightning in a bottle again and repeat TDK's success. Unfortunately Webb isn't Nolan and Spidey isn't Batman. Marvel has proven that Superhero movies can be both serious and fun, but unfortunately Sony didn't seem to get the memo until after TASM was already on it's way to being made and now we're locked into films that could end up with the same story arc as the Nolan films. Sony and Webb are mimicking the wrong film. They are digging in the wrong place...The character of Peter Parker has a lot of issues but not ALL of them are the heavy handed 'with great power comes etc' . He has everyman problems as well with this latest film seemed to bypass almost entirely.And as far as Webb's character strengths go...I wish I could remember the source....I think the link was posted on the official TASM thread...but the author got it dead on....don't get it twisted....people say Webb did a good job developing characters because everyone loves Garfield and Stone. They have charisma, but if you think about it what's on the page really doesn't. Both leads did a great job in TASM and I'm excited to see what they could do in a sequel that tries to have a little fun with things. Or maybe I just like the mini skirt and thigh high stocking look...
  • Like 1

I was quoting CloneWars but I suppose you might have had the same points. That's your view, but didn't you get that with Raimi? I'm not sure but everyone who dislikes this seems to love those so, honestly, selfish as it is, you already got yours. This new version just appeals to me a lot more. Better cast in every role except the Indian guy. Made me laugh a lot. Some stunning scenes I really like that visually. The dynamic of Stone/Garfield.It's not though. Nolan, as some suggested, isn't that great at relationships and he doesn't choose to focus on those either which I believe TASM is doing. What has Marvel proved can be serious and fun? Do you mean the Avengers? A lot of that has to do with Whedon. As a whole, the last three have been misfires for me. Iron Man 2 was more disjointed than TASM with shoehorning like SM3. Thor falls apart in the middle and CA just jumps off a cliff when he lands in Germany. He had 500 Days of Summer so you know I believe that he brought out the best in them here too. That's what I'm relying on. I'm obviously speculating but so is the author and you.

I voted B by my real grade is: B-

Discounting any type of anal review about how close it is to the comics, 616 or Ultimate, this film has structural and pacing issues that make it less than desirable. Things happen in the film just to move the story along. It does not feel like sequences move in a fluid manner from one to the other.

For all the issues I had going in from the trailers the idea of doing the origin again was one of them. While I have some issues with that sequence(a bunch of spiders dumping on him) the opening origin hour mid way through Act II is the tightest part of the movie imo. I highly, highly, highly take fault that one of the greatest catch phrases in comicdom is omitted: WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY. I'm actually fine with tweaking just how Ben gets killed cause it's his death via Peter's inaction that is important. Not if it's a home invasion or car burglary etc.

I also take issue with the prolonged vengeance hunt by Peter to find the burglar with the star tattoo. It seems that is also going to carry over throughout the trilogy.

I say that both Flash Thompsons get an A for being quality douche bags though.

The lack of Curt Connors family in the movie is a sad omission. Connors having the family is what largely separates him from being just another scientist gone gonzo. The fact that that was the interpretation they went with is just more proof they should've stayed in the Raimi-verse. At least that cliche was already established and begrudgingly accepted.

Keeping in mind when you watch a film of certain types you have to suspend some logic. However, certain things still have to make sense. Like I get peoples issue with Black Widow and her 9mm as a point. Likewise, in this film there is no way, none at all, that a high school intern(police chiefs daughter or not) has access to lab equipment not only after hours BUT has codes to various equipment. If she did they would be tied to time access.

Really Gwen being the first girlfriend squeeze is the only thing they got exactly right where the Raimi film didn't. The only thing. I also take issue with the rush to reveal who he was. He really hadn't even established that himself yet frankly. That reveal could've waited but they felt the need to include Gwen in the action montage at the end for the formula. A better result would've been to have Peter creating a cure out of Connors sewer lab.

Peter's webbing. So is it Oscorp micro filament or did you make it? We see him opening and experimenting with cases he ordered AND he tells the car thief "it's something I created", so which is it? If a bunch of Oscorp, commercially available micro filament is out there it doesn't take the dark knight to figure out where large quantities are going that don't match a user profile for the stuff. Also, why aren't the cops using this as well? Screw tasers.

The all to convenient "NY loves you Spider-man" moment. Yes the foreman is the one who's son was saved by Spider-man but nothing is done for a rally cry moment "Spider-man needs our help guys, let's make sure he gets it. Line those cranes up for him". A weak attempt to recreate the ferry scene from the Raimi film.

The fight at the high school served what end? At one point did Connors go vendetta crazy? If Parker were at school using the Chem lab to whip up an antidote then fine but going after him at that point, in that location made no sense to a character who had been shown to be still in his right mind. Which gets us to the sudden lame mustache twirling excuse to turn all of NY into Lizard town. It's like a Avi Arad saw that in mag and just insisted that element had to be in the film. There are just massive missteps in logic on Connors part for why he's suddenly doing things. Hell, as the Lizard he was trying to stop Osborne's stooge from doing random tests at the VA for crying out loud. Then 45 minutes later he suddenly wants to turn NYC into one big Lizard Lounge? WTF??

Dennis Leary stole every scene he was in during the film. Him dying is a true comic element and I hated seeing him go so soon. The one "hurry up lets create Team Spidey" moment was the reveal Peter=Spidey...and oh, by the way if you don't let me go Gwen may die routine. Of course it also sets up the promise he wants Peter to take about distancing himself from Gwen. However we all know where that's going.

Was I the only one who felt like after Gwen visited Peter on the porch after her fathers funeral that the film just couldn't find a way to end? I felt like it was trying to end 2-3 times in the lat 5-7 minutes.

Also, was anyone besides me NOT teased by the prison visitation scene mid-credits?

The Raimi origin film is just head and shoulders above this one as a complete film.

• Like 6

I voted B by my real grade is: B-

Discounting any type of anal review about how close it is to the comics, 616 or Ultimate, this film has structural and pacing issues that make it less than desirable. Things happen in the film just to move the story along. It does not feel like sequences move in a fluid manner from one to the other.

For all the issues I had going in from the trailers the idea of doing the origin again was one of them. While I have some issues with that sequence(a bunch of spiders dumping on him) the opening origin hour mid way through Act II is the tightest part of the movie imo. I highly, highly, highly take fault that one of the greatest catch phrases in comicdom is omitted: WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY. I'm actually fine with tweaking just how Ben gets killed cause it's his death via Peter's inaction that is important. Not if it's a home invasion or car burglary etc.

I also take issue with the prolonged vengeance hunt by Peter to find the burglar with the star tattoo. It seems that is also going to carry over throughout the trilogy.

I say that both Flash Thompsons get an A for being quality douche bags though.

The lack of Curt Connors family in the movie is a sad omission. Connors having the family is what largely separates him from being just another scientist gone gonzo. The fact that that was the interpretation they went with is just more proof they should've stayed in the Raimi-verse. At least that cliche was already established and begrudgingly accepted.

Keeping in mind when you watch a film of certain types you have to suspend some logic. However, certain things still have to make sense. Like I get peoples issue with Black Widow and her 9mm as a point. Likewise, in this film there is no way, none at all, that a high school intern(police chiefs daughter or not) has access to lab equipment not only after hours BUT has codes to various equipment. If she did they would be tied to time access.

Really Gwen being the first girlfriend squeeze is the only thing they got exactly right where the Raimi film didn't. The only thing. I also take issue with the rush to reveal who he was. He really hadn't even established that himself yet frankly. That reveal could've waited but they felt the need to include Gwen in the action montage at the end for the formula. A better result would've been to have Peter creating a cure out of Connors sewer lab.

Peter's webbing. So is it Oscorp micro filament or did you make it? We see him opening and experimenting with cases he ordered AND he tells the car thief "it's something I created", so which is it? If a bunch of Oscorp, commercially available micro filament is out there it doesn't take the dark knight to figure out where large quantities are going that don't match a user profile for the stuff. Also, why aren't the cops using this as well? Screw tasers.

The all to convenient "NY loves you Spider-man" moment. Yes the foreman is the one who's son was saved by Spider-man but nothing is done for a rally cry moment "Spider-man needs our help guys, let's make sure he gets it. Line those cranes up for him". A weak attempt to recreate the ferry scene from the Raimi film.

The fight at the high school served what end? At one point did Connors go vendetta crazy? If Parker were at school using the Chem lab to whip up an antidote then fine but going after him at that point, in that location made no sense to a character who had been shown to be still in his right mind. Which gets us to the sudden lame mustache twirling excuse to turn all of NY into Lizard town. It's like a Avi Arad saw that in mag and just insisted that element had to be in the film. There are just massive missteps in logic on Connors part for why he's suddenly doing things. Hell, as the Lizard he was trying to stop Osborne's stooge from doing random tests at the VA for crying out loud. Then 45 minutes later he suddenly wants to turn NYC into one big Lizard Lounge? WTF??

Dennis Leary stole every scene he was in during the film. Him dying is a true comic element and I hated seeing him go so soon. The one "hurry up lets create Team Spidey" moment was the reveal Peter=Spidey...and oh, by the way if you don't let me go Gwen may die routine. Of course it also sets up the promise he wants Peter to take about distancing himself from Gwen. However we all know where that's going.

Was I the only one who felt like after Gwen visited Peter on the porch after her fathers funeral that the film just couldn't find a way to end? I felt like it was trying to end 2-3 times in the lat 5-7 minutes.

Also, was anyone besides me NOT teased by the prison visitation scene mid-credits?

The Raimi origin film is just head and shoulders above this one as a complete film.

Fucking A!
  • Like 1

I saw the movie with friends last night, and ended up seeing it again this afternoon with my dad so I've had time to think about it...I really enjoyed this movie. Did I enjoy it more than the Raimi films? Certainly more than 3 (and I was of the few who very moderately enjoyed that one) but probably not as much as 2. I still can't grasp whether I like it more than 1 or not. Granted, being that they are two very different takes on a character I feel a little reluctant to compare them.I loved Andrew Garfield's Spidey. He nailed everything from the nervousness and shyness of Peter Parker to the smartass antics of Spider-Man, though I do think the "coping with loss" Spidey might need some work as Uncle Ben's death didn't seem as moving or sad as it should have been, though out of benefit of the doubt for Garfield I'll blame that on it being a little rushed. I will say the movie did suffer from some serious pacing issues at times. As I mentioned Uncle Ben's death was glossed over and overall the whole "becoming Spider-Man" part of the plot was a little "meh". Though things really got rolling around the scene where Spider-Man catches the car thief. After that it kept going and was an absolutely enjoyable thrillride. The Lizard's motives were shady but it kept the plot on course so I forgive that. The romance was also played genuinely well by Garfield and Stone (and kudos to them and Webb for not making it too gushy like the original trilogy was at times but keeping romance prominent.)Basically, it isn't a perfect movie. Far from it, and while it isn't the ultimate popcorn action movie like Avengers or a character driven crime drama like TDK, I thoroughly enjoyed it for a unique take on a great hero. I'm really looking forward to the sequel and hope they really escalate it to something big. Though I do agree no "with great power comes great responsibility" was BULLSHIT.3.5/5

Edited by Dekunova

It has at least four. The main theme getting far more airtime than Silvestri's TA theme did.

What do you mean by airtime? It's not like they play this kind of stuff on the radio, unless there's some radio station I'm unaware of that plays movie themes. Edited by Jay Beezy

SPOILERS!!I

I saw TASM last night. Overall I liked it enough, but I certainly didn't love it. Andrew Garfield is the best Spider-Man (especially in comparison to Tobey) but in my opinion that is the only thing this reboot did better than Raimi's film.

My biggest pet peeve was the awful CGI - this movie was made ten years after Raimi's first film yet its sfx are far inferior. That's not good. The villain was a total joke and I was smiling or downright cackling whenever we saw him. My other gripe was that there was absolutely no resolution to Peter's mission to find his uncle's killer. Talk about dropping the ball. So much of the movie was initially dedicated to this plot and then it was dropped completely. We didn't see Peter catch the guy. We didn't see Peter come to any realisation that he should give up on his revenge-mission. We didn't see Peter try to accept the reality that his uncle's killer is still on the streets and that he was going to leave it that way. Nothing. Nada. That's poor script writing.

The other thing I didn't think was as effective as it could/should have been was the romance between Gwen and Peter, which is problematic because a lot of the film is dedicated to or driven by it. I don't think more screen time should have been given to the romance; rather I think what time WAS given to it should have been better utilised. I couldn't care about the relationship because ultimately I didn't believe it. We never saw them establish any real rapport or connection before he asked her out (which was a cute scene but it's not like they had spent much time together before that), and he revealed his identity so early on in the relationship (literally BEFORE THEIR FIRST DATE WAS OVER are you kidding???) that every subsequent conversation we saw them have was ONLY about Spider-Man. Like I said, I didn't buy it, which is a shame because Emma Stone is one of my favourite actresses and Andrew Garfield was so impressive here. The actors had chemistry which made the relationship more convincing but it was written so poorly and stellar acting can't always save a less-than-stellar script.

I also hated the way Aunty May was written.

What I liked: I LOVED this Peter Parker. The douchebaggery, the one-liners, he was so much more fun than Raimi's PP. I loved loved loved the scene on the subway when he first got his 'powers' but couldn't control them, my whole theatre was cracking up. Honestly Andrew Garfield was AMAZING, if it weren't for him I'm sure I would have flatout hated the movie. Emma Stone was great too, she broke my heart on PP's porch at the end, but it wasn't exactly a scene stealing role. All the acting was good, really. The action scenes were fun enough but there's no denying they were still inferior to Raimi's.

B- (I was going to give it a C after writing this but honestly, I did enjoy myself in the theatre despite being bugged or frustrated by a few things)

• Like 1

I was very disappointed with this movie, it had a lot of problems. There were parts in the middle that were kind of boring, I wanted to see more uncle Ben because I liked the actor but I knew there was nothing they could really do about that, It was very anti-climatic, I never really cared if Spiderman saved the day, some of the scenes felt like I'm seen them before in other movies/tv shows, the score was forgettable and in the past 3 days I have forgotten a lot about this movie. Now there are a few positive's about this movie. Garfield and Stone give very great performances, and the Stan Lee cameo was just pure genius. Those 2 things couldn't save this movie.

C+

• Like 3

I think it's an overstatement to call this a Spidey film. It's a Peter Parker movie, SM has hardly any screen time.

I agree and I've made a similar comment, but I think that would have been okay if they showed a more deft hand at blending in just a bit more Spidey action here and there. Sprinkle it around...he's who we came to see. And leave the mask on more for crissakes!

- There was no sense of what Spider-Man's abilities were. I mean, we saw them onscreen, but Peter didn't go through much of a discovery of his strengths and weaknesses. One of the things I loved about the first Iron Man was that the entire second act is devoted to Tony Stark testing his suit and becoming familiar with his abilities. Other recent superhero films (First Class, Captain America) have done a good job of this as well. There wasn't any of that in TASM, other than a scene where he gets in a fight on the subway which plays more like a parody than it does a discovery of his powers.

Jenko explains it

Posted Image

• Like 1

After thinking about this movie it only slightly above average. I kinda like it but their are too many problems with the movie.

I think think the first hour is great but then the whole find Uncle Ben's killer is dropped. The Lizard story did not work and the ending was bad.

Positives

The acting was good

Andrew and Gwen have great chemistry

I like the focus on Peter Parker

Peter learning about his powers

The action scenes where filmed well.

The Cinematography was good

Negatives

Lizard's plot

The look of the Lizard

the sudden change from finding uncle ben's killer to let go after the Lizard and now i become a good hero

The mid credit scene was pointless

The score did not fit all that well.

3rd act fell part

the ending sucked and was cheesy, he did show up to Gwen's father funeral and then he just says not keeping all promise are the best and makes Gwen forgive him just like that.

Bad CGI

Uncle Ben's death scene was not memorial at all.