diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

The Avengers Age of Ultron Friday Box Office (05/01)

Admissions: 764,992  :blink:

Gross: $6.02 million

Total Admissions: 5,429,184

Total Gross: $43.37

Lowballed again..

Friday number is up to 772K admissions. Absolutely spectacular number. Hopefully 950-1000K admissions tomorrow.

Lowballed again..

Omg, isnt that higher than last Friday!

EDIT: Nevermind, yep thats much bigger o.O

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 2

What the hell is going on here??? I stopped reading the thread last Monday, people seemed pretty disappointed and told us $100m is now unlikely...And now we have people telling us 100m is possible and even talking about $150m :lol:

I really was right, you dramatize and don't try to see the long-term trend. ^_^  You see, everything's fine :)

• Like 1

$100M would mean 12M+ admissions though. That's big.

I'm glad that it's recovering nicely from Mon/Tues numbers, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic for now.

• Like 1

Lowballed again..

Logically what are the expectation from rest of the week.

Wed - 225k?

Thur - 270k ( 20% increase?)

Fri -  540K ( 100% increase?)

Sat - 600K ( 10% increase)

Sun - 600k ( stay flat as part of long week)

Mon - 300K ( softer than normal drop because of tuesday being a holiday)

Tues - 500K ( mid week holiday?)

Wed - 150K

It should be close to 7M but then could drop off very quickly if there are new releases. But 10M can happen.

200K more.

I don't think it is getting $100m.

But $90m looks doable.

Unless it falls off a cliff I think $90m in now the floor.

This w/e should be bigger than IM3's first w/e and it did another $45m after that.  Even if AOU2 did just 2/3rds of that after this w/e it would be near $90m

Not at all surprised by this number. It'll be well over 8 mil by Tuesday night and it still has a long way to go. I never said it here but I've been eyeing the 2nd place record for this. That's not a guarantee but I'm fairly sure this is going to outstrip AVATAR for the all-time foreign record at least. 

It should cross $100mil easily but $150mil is a pipe dream, won't come close to that.

• Like 1

I keep on wondering what caused the sudden spike in audience attendance figures, which really started on Wednesday onwards following the awful first 2 days of the week. The easiest explanation is that the end of exam students created a lot of new demand for the film and while Occam's razor dictates that we should follow this logic, I wonder if that's the only factor at play here. Either way I'd like to see another demography breakdown for this ASAP.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Comparing different runs of foreign releases in Korea

P6SzhrJ.jpg

[Click to enlarge]

For starters, apologies for the really horrible looking graph but I'm no excel wiz  :P

Basically what I wanted to show is that there if you look carefully at the curvature shape of each individual film you'll see some interesting commonalities and differences between them.

First of all Avatar is unique in that it started in a decent but unremarkable fashion but managed to keep that pace for an insane length of time, making it the most successful foreign release to date. 

IM3 and TF3 have similar looking curves and are which are characteristic of "short legged films". Basically they started out at a furious pace but failed to sustain it, usually by mediocre word of mouth.

Interstellar and Frozen also have distinctly similar shaped curves which show that they had very good holds for a decent length of time but failed to extend it beyond that to say, avatar levels. In Frozen's case it died as soon as the holidays ended and all the kids+students (main demography) went back to school. For interstellar, IMAX screens was the driving force behind it's run and as soon as it lost that it lost some impetus, and combined with heavy competition during the Christmas period, legs couldn't hold up. 

Age of Ultron is currently ahead of the pack and it should extend the gap over the next 4 days. It also has the benefit of limited competition during May, outside a couple of local and Hollywood releases, and it should stay that way until around 11th of June. That said, it's too early to say how it will behave. To be honest I could easily see it following the IM3/TF3 trajectory (although the final numbers would be much higher for AoU) but if its competition fails to break out, it could see some soft drops over the next few weeks pushing it close to Avatar. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 3

Rsyu, it seems to have found an extra gear. I'm going to be bullish with my prediction for rest of the weekend.

8.4M admissions by Tuesday, finishes between 12-13M.  :D