Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Brother's seeing this right about now so I'm going to hear from him later tonight. He told me the polarizing reactions were the main reason he wanted to see it.

Edited by cookie

On 27/07/2017 at 5:05 PM, Goffe said:

Don't kid yourselves, Nolan would have shot Dunkirk in France no matter what.

As if WB would say no to Nolan because lack of tax incentives :lol:

Just found this interview of Dunkirk line producer John Bernard

“ ‘Riviera’ involves 130 shooting days in France, which is clearly happening because of the 30% rate,” says Bernard. “The same thing applies to the Christopher Nolan film, with a six-week shoot on location. Without the 30% rate, this would have been limited to a five-day shoot.”

It doesn't matter what a line producer says. If Nolan wanted a bigger shooting schedule in France, if he thought a bigger shooting schedule in France was absolutely essential, he would definitely get it, tax credits or not. 

4 hours ago, cookie said:

Brother's seeing this right about now so I'm going to hear from him later tonight. He told me the polarizing reactions were the main reason he wanted to see it.

So he came back and told me he was very conflicted about it. Loved the visuals, the creativity and Rihanna's performance but the leads and their "sitcom-level banter" (his words, not mine) and the seeming lack of plot sunk it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

STX's highest grossing movie of the year so far, and third all-time.

Which is totally meaningless in terms of actual dollars and cents....

Guy, you made yourself a laughing stock last year with your efforts to prove that "Ghostbusters" was a hit even after it was clear it had bombed bigtime. Going for an encore?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Which is totally meaningless in terms of actual dollars and cents....

Guy, you made yourself a laughing stock last year with your efforts to prove that "Ghostbusters" was a hit even after it was clear it had bombed bigtime. Going for an encore?

I said it was a hit in US but was neglected by Sony overseas. If it had been a bomb it wouldn't be getting a sequel and a comic book series.

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I said it was a hit in US but was neglected by Sony overseas. If it had been a bomb it wouldn't be getting a sequel and a comic book series.

But its not getting a sequel though. If it was, we would have got an official announcement along with a release date by now, especially in the age of studios blocking out release dates well in advance. At the very least, we would have got news reports from the trades saying "So and so is on board to write the Ghostbusters sequel". The only movement with Ghostbusters is the animated movie being in development (no actual release date there either). Ghostbusters comic books have been going on forever, with numerous iterations of the team.

With Sony actively looking for franchises, if there was actually going to be a big GB sequel before the end of this decade, we would have heard something by now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It was an hard cast/humor style to sells oversea (the excellent Spy was still close to 50/50, despite the spy genre) and if I remember correctly (I cannot easily refind it) but I remember an excel document budgeting the success bar at 400-450m WW (considering the domestic heavy nature of the project I assume the DBO success bar was at least at 175m), that is probably were Paul Feig that movie need to do 400-450 to be considered and all in break out success comment in an interview came from.

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

GB is NOT getting a sequel.it is getting what looks like a low budget animated reboot. And the comic books series was commissioned when they thought it would be a hit.

But thanks for proving my point that you like to live in your own little reality.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It was an hard cast/humor style to sells oversea (the excellent Spy was still close to 50/50, despite the spy genre) and if I remember correctly (I cannot easily refind it) but I remember an excel document budgeting the success bar at 400-450m WW (considering the domestic heavy nature of the project I assume the DBO success bar was at least at 175m), that is probably were Paul Feig that movie need to do 400-450 to be considered and all in break out success comment in an interview came from.

Paul Feig pretty much said that the bar for success was 500M WW, which would make 400M WW for break-even a good target for sure.

29 minutes ago, dudalb said:

GB is NOT getting a sequel.it is getting what looks like a low budget animated reboot. And the comic books series was commissioned when they thought it would be a hit.

But thanks for proving my point that you like to live in your own little reality.

It's not even an animated reboot. It's through the eyes of the ghosts in this story. Also Sony Animation is crafting this.

Just now, grim22 said:

Paul Feig pretty much said that the bar for success was 500M WW, which would make 400M WW for break-even a good target for sure.

The delta between success for a large risk (usually between 10 to 20% ROI) and the break even spot is often quite big, specially with people getting points.

If we take one of the most similar Sony project to ghostbuster for example, After Earth (that one was more intl heavy and without merchandising too, Ghostbuster needed a bit less WW):

Net budget: 148.8 million

Studio estimated GP BREAK (that is break even point): 87.5 dbo/ 175 intl: $262.5m WW (those are gross estimate and someone powerful like Smith could deal an estimate on the low side to where the "profit" bonus start)

Studio estimate Return break (what the movie need to do to give a 12% ROI): 276.2 dbo / 414 intl: $690.2m WW (Smith/Shyamalan/Lassiter accepted to do the movie without first dollar gross but would have made 159m in bonus if the movie was breaking out)

The movie was greenlight with doing 400m in mind.

The studio needed to do 430m more (or 162% more) between just break even and doing a 12% return, using the success bar to have an idea of the break even point could be extremely misleading.

If I remember the leak document and Feig interview 400-450 (or 450-500) was that success bar the studio making 12-15% after everyone taking their large bonus, the break even bar was probably around 265m-320m WW with a strong domestic performance and no China and very dependent of the merchandise/video game/etc.. performance.

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

There are other sources of revenue and Ghostbusters did very well on home video and toys.

Not that much, it did poorly on the video game side for example (or at least the small studio that made the game had to close door) and I cannot find any mention of Ghostbuster in the 2016 Mattel report, any of the Quarterly report either.

33 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not that much, it did poorly on the video game side for example (or at least the small studio that made the game had to close door) and I cannot find any mention of Ghostbuster in the 2016 Mattel report, any of the Quarterly report either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2009 game sold more than the movie tie in game last year