The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I've converted 3 friends, its never over.

Its rather hilarious, that I think fights about movies happen only on this rabbit hole on the cybersphere.

However this movie has caused great debate among my friends. 

Pretty much its people who like dark serious films only vs people who dislike tedious films.  :P

I'm fine with people who dislike TDKR, but it's annoying on FB, when people try to argue that it's a bad film because it's illogical/filled with plot holes.

That's the worst reason to dislike the film.

I always said people outside this forum actually debate and rant about this movie. 

I always said people outside this forum actually debate and rant about this movie. 

All of my friends are in film though. 

On a separate note. My dad is obsessed with this movie. He goes to the theaters once maybe twice a year but I dragged him to IMAX with me and since then he has seen this movie like 6 times. Pretty random, still makes me laugh. 

I can remember being so incredibly hyped for this in the months leading up to the release. I gobbled up every little interview, online article, ANYTHING I could get my hands on. I downloaded the soundtrack too - that was probably the biggest mistake. I started to imagine scenes in my head. I absolutely loved the 'On Thin Ice' opening theme and thought we might have some epic bridging monologue between TDK and this.

And then the film came out. And don't get me wrong - it was great. Fantastic set pieces and gorgeously filmed. But I can remember thinking in the theatre - 'GET ON WITH IT'. I'm all for epic, grandiose and stately film-making, but there is something a little self indulgent about the film. To cut a long story short, I've not yet rewatched this. I own the Blu Ray and have started trying to watch this several times - but I just haven't been able to 'get into' this. BB and TDK I've revisited many times but I can never quite stomach this. There's so much to admire and love - the performances are (mostly) top notch, and techincally it's faultless. The script and story and (mostly) fine too... you can't help but admire the thematic ambition on display. I'm glad the movie exists but it feels like something of a curate's egg these days. I think I'll leave it to Rick McCallum to summarise:

DZHPeVe.gif

I'm fine with people who dislike TDKR, but it's annoying on FB, when people try to argue that it's a bad film because it's illogical/filled with plot holes.

That's the worst reason to dislike the film.

I know, I see it's plotholes and it's still easily my favorite of the series. 

• Like 1