The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

113 pages is crazy. I guess Star Wars 7 will be the only movie in the near future that might come close to this many pages.

Nah, because we'll agree it's awesome whereas TDKR is a battleground for the flamethrowers

I have joined the dark side.

Upping my grade to 8.5/10

Here's the thread in case anyone is interested.

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14434-some-men-just-want-to-watch-tdkr-the-amazing-baumer-transformation-thread/page-5#entry1330108

This is weird, because I gave it an A- in July 2012 and would probably go closer to a C+ now

Gopher is the Bizarro Baumer

• Like 4

This is weird, because I gave it an A- in July 2012 and would probably go closer to a C+ now

Gopher is the Bizarro Baumer

It's like this commercial is made for the two of you.

• Like 1

I think if one can have so vastly different reviews on the same movie in just over a year, he should probably consider adjusting the way he reviews movies in the first place.

It's not like you loved your girl-friend a year ago but then she did something really bad and thus you dont love her anymore. The movie didn't change. It's still the same as what it was. IMO giving it A- a year ago and a C+ now is basically like calling yourself from a year ago a dummy. And that also includes you from a year later do the same to you because it's also possible that a year later you change your rating back to A-.

Edited by vc2002

I think if one can have so vastly different reviews on the same movie in just over a year, he should probably consider adjusting the way he reviews movies in the first place.

It's not like you loved your girl-friend a year ago but then she did something really bad and thus you dont love her anymore. The movie didn't change. It's still the same as what it was. IMO giving it A- a year ago and a C+ now is basically like calling yourself from a year ago a dummy. And that also includes you from a year later do the same to you because it's also possible that a year later you change your rating back to A-.

No.  I disagree.  You see things differently over time.  Sometimes you can be so excited to see something that you overlook all the not so great things about it.  Sometimes time helps you see things for what they truly they are.

• Like 5

No.  I disagree.  You see things differently over time.  Sometimes you can be so excited to see something that you overlook all the not so great things about it.  Sometimes time helps you see things for what they truly they are.

I think that only happens when you grow up from a kid to a mature man (or from young adults to a grandpa or something), or something happened that your life changed.

For movie reviewing I think if you are a mature man and has been a movie fan for many years, you are not supposed to be changing reviews this vastly in just a year. In this case I think you were let down by TDKR because your anticipation was too high after TDK? I dont think whether meeting anticipation or not should be a factor to make a review.

Edited by vc2002

I think that only happens when you grow up from a kid to a mature man (or from young adults to a grandpa or something), or something happened that your life changed.

For movie reviewing I think if you are a mature man and has been a movie fan for many years, you are not supposed to be changing reviews this vastly in just a year. In this case I think you were let down by TDKR because your anticipation was too high after TDK? I dont think whether meeting anticipation or not should be a factor to make a review.

Nope, like I said, all of the problems in the movie are still there, I still recognize them.  I just enjoyed it more this time.  

A) Anticipation shouldn't be a factor, but it happens. At the end of the day, as long as Baumer is honest and gives his reasons for his opinion, it doesn't matter. That's because I can evaluate his reasons and judge for myself whether or not I should watch the movie based on those reasons. If he says "I was so excited for TDKR and I just felt let down by it." I can say to myself "well, I've kept my excitement in check, so this review, while fair, should not change whether or not I want to see the film." I don't think he has to change his ways of reviewing for that reason.B) The assertion above that your opinion only changes as you grow older/mature is untrue as well. Joe Morgenstern, a Pulitzer Prize winning critic, changed his opinion on Bonnie & Clyde in one month. Sometimes, you miss something while watching a movie, and you don't need to age 15 years to realize it. I do think it's an issue if it happens all the time, though.