The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Every Nolan films grows. It took TDKR four times for me to work perfectly. It's a difficult film to love instantly as so many things are going on, this is a movie on a ground scale, but you start to appreciate it the second time around. It has flaws, but it's a towering achievement for Nolan to manage to follow-up TDK with such a great film.

• Like 3

TDKR is one of those that I'd rather watch the making of stuff, than the movie itself. TDK is one of my fav films in the 2000's, but TDKR became a huge letdown, not just comparing to TDK, but as a movie by its own. But after watching the making of's, I start to appreciate it from a technique point of view. In the era of CG donimating everything, Nolan's trying to push the envelope of live action shooting is definitely worth a thumb up.

Edited by vc2002

No crappy CGI (especially TDKR). So technically, it is flawed. Sorry.(I'm waiting for STiD Imax sequences to blow it out of the water and to preposterously declared it "best movie ever technically" on that sole basis).(Constant format changes are annoying too).

Edited by dashrendar44

From a technical point of view it's the best film ever made. 70mm IMAX, groundbreaking sound (Nolan used a technique that will be common in 4-5 years), you can't top that image quality. 70mm IMAx > 3D, HFR, digital

Which is a shame because WB did a terrible job on the blu-ray transfer, like they did on TDK.

It seems WB can never do their precious justice on blu-ray.

I actually thought the Blu-Ray transfer was pretty solid. My only gripe is that it would be nice to get an option for proper framing of the IMAX scenes, even if only as a (very long) bonus feature. I'm glad they went at least halfway by presenting the IMAX scenes at a cropped ratio (the Mission: Impossible Blu-Ray didn't even do that), but some of those shots - like the plane in the prologue gliding alone in the sky, only to have the other plane suddenly appear above it - benefit from having the full height of the Academy ratio.

After watching TDKR for the second time, my first thought was "Well shit, this movie's kind of a mess"I mean, I still think its a good movie, and a fine closure for the trilogy, but now I really saw most of the problems people were complaining about. I noticed more plot holes and useless characters, and the whole thing felt kinda rushed at points.There are a million wonderful, well made things about it, but there are also plenty of problems.I'm not hating, I still like TDKR, but I think this film kinda shows that not even Christopher Nolan is perfectI still give it 4/5

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 2

Finally saw TDKR last night. Its not a great film at all IMO, but not terrible either. My problems with it:- The movie is bloated but also drags on throughout and never really catches any momentum at all, even at the high points, never felt thrilled. It has pretty much the exact same problem as The Hobbit but not quite as bad. Drag drag drag with no high points or thrills. This is a pretty fundemental flaw IMO, the rest of my complaints are somewhat subjective.- JGL's character was completely pointless. His entire arc and all his actions could've been merged with Gordon's character. Injuring Gordon for most of the movie to take him off the screen was retarded.- The opening scene was really underwhelming and odd.- Bane's death was embarassing for the main villain.- A few really corny moments I that I don't feel like listing.Overall, 7/10(maybe a little lower) and don't care to watch it again.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

I've heard the "merge JGL with Oldman" complaint before and I just don't get it. JGL's arc is the strongest in the film. He learns from Gordon how restrictive working on the force is and he learns from Bruce Wayne that Gotham needs a symbol to rise above and protect the public, which he eventually becomes. It's the most coherent thematic throughline in the movie. The first act certainly drags but I find the second and third acts thrilling with enough high points to get past some of the silly plot devices.

• Like 2

I rewatched and I would say that TDKR is tied with BB, for best Batman movies. BB is a A+ (10/10) on my bookI rewatched and I would say that TDKR is brilliant and a very emotional movie, better than the first time seriously. Who thinks that TDKR is bloated of plot holes just not want to think right, for the sake of other superhero movies. TDKR is tied with BB and is one of the best movies ever for me, I consider BB top 5 of all time also.BB A+TDKR A+ TDK A-

It's the least amount of screen timeNeeson has had in any film this year, but it is, by FAR, the bestquality production he's had his name attached too. It's unfortunatethat his name had to be tarnished with such poorly written, directedand performed dreck such as Battleship and Taken 2, but at least hecan include high quality film making such as this on his resume andhopefully wash away the bitter taste of failure

It's the least amount of screen timeNeeson has had in any film this year, but it is, by FAR, the bestquality production he's had his name attached too. It's unfortunatethat his name had to be tarnished with such poorly written, directedand performed dreck such as Battleship and Taken 2, but at least hecan include high quality film making such as this on his resume andhopefully wash away the bitter taste of failure 

I'm sure Liam Neeson doesn't give a shit.
  • Like 1

Remember back in December 2011 or so when people said this would be a Best Picture contender and win all sorts of Oscars? Lol

Do you remember a couple of years ago when people though Deathly Hallows 2 would be a best picture contender and win all sorts of oscars? Lol, that was far funnier.