Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

That was 20 years ago and Nicholson was not as hyped up as Ledger was.

Being older than most of you, I can assure you, "Batman" was extraordinarily hyped back in 1989. The movie experience was different back then and this type of hype was rarely seen. The 60's TV show started playing on normal channels again for a bit, songs were made (including a Prince song that was a big hit, but due to some bizarre reasons, was not in the film), etc. Nicholson was definitely loved then (and is still loved now) and his Joker was arguably the big reason the film had such great legs. Ledger's hype was deserved. I was worried that no actor could do the role justice after Nicholson's great performance. But Ledger delivered big time. Then, add in his untimely death, and the role became almost iconic (even career-defining). Hence, it's tough to compare the two, but I assure you, "Batman" had TONS of hype.
  • Like 4

http://movies.yahoo....-161636534.html

So Rentrack is not reporting it, Studios are not reporting it, who is?

But the money at stake was too big for moviedom to ignore, and studio officials with access to box-office numbers provided them to The New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/23/movies/dark-knight-leads-at-box-office-in-the-shadow-of-massacre.html

Ledger's hype was deserved. I was worried that no actor could do the role justice after Nicholson's great performance. But Ledger delivered big time. Then, add in his untimely death, and the role became almost iconic (even career-defining). Hence, it's tough to compare the two, but I assure you, "Batman" had TONS of hype.

Oh, I'm sure it had hype, but just comparing the two movies' adjusted grosses it appears it didn't quite match that of The Dark Knight's.

Being older than most of you, I can assure you, "Batman" was extraordinarily hyped back in 1989. The movie experience was different back then and this type of hype was rarely seen. The 60's TV show started playing on normal channels again for a bit, songs were made (including a Prince song that was a big hit, but due to some bizarre reasons, was not in the film), etc. Nicholson was definitely loved then (and is still loved now) and his Joker was arguably the big reason the film had such great legs. Ledger's hype was deserved. I was worried that no actor could do the role justice after Nicholson's great performance. But Ledger delivered big time. Then, add in his untimely death, and the role became almost iconic (even career-defining). Hence, it's tough to compare the two, but I assure you, "Batman" had TONS of hype.

Batman was a phenomenon in '89 with Nicholson walking away with upwards of $60m (highest ever for an actor). It also shattered Ghostbuter II's opening weekend record of ~$29m a week or two earlier.

Got back from my screening about 20-25 minutes ago. Theater was about 70% full, solid amount of clapping when the credits began.Film was good but had a number of flaws, mainly with the antagonist and the evil plot to mess with Gotham. As seems to be the consensus for almost everyone, the final 5 minutes were superb.Batman Begins remains the best of the Nolanverse.

• Like 1

Didn't the media call summer of '89 "BATMANIA" prior to Batmans release...the merchandising and advertising had hyped the film to the heavens at the time. I heard this in the "Making of Batman" thingy they released in 2005 or something...it had Making Ofs of all the old Bat movies.

Batman was a phenomenon in '89 with Nicholson walking away with upwards of $60m (highest ever for an actor). It also shattered Ghostbuter II's opening weekend record of ~$29m a week or two earlier.

Yeah, and let's not forget the HUGE controversy back than regarding Michael Keaton as Batman. Tons of diehard Batman fans completelely freaked out -- Keaton, never!

I thought Rival studios always report the higher numbers??

I would think people are reporiting numbers as accurate as possible concidering the circumstatnces surrounding this weekend. But maybe I'm just giving people too much credit.

The WoM is great so far, people are clapping in the end. It's a grower. It's not as magical as TDK, but not far behind. Will be interesting to see its run. It's doing great business in the UK and had 30m+ midnights in US, so we can put the Heath argument to bed for once and for all.

If TDKR had only opened as high as Batman Returns did adjusted, it would've been seen as a downright disaster. It's possible that there are only so many people who are willing to see a Batman film opening weekend.

Then it should have done TDK adjusted numbers.

Yeah, and let's not forget the HUGE controversy back than regarding Michael Keaton as Batman. Tons of diehard Batman fans completelely freaked out -- Keaton, never!

Wasnt he mainly in comedies before B89? Who would have known he would be the ultimate Bruce Wayne (arguably)