Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

This is my first post on this forum since Baumer suspended me on Saturday, and I have to say I was greatly pleased to see the actuals for TASM on Monday. I was the only poster here who believed TASM could drop close to 70% vs TDKR, and it's always nice to see a film validate your (very bold) prediction.

I love it!!!! See ya later Spidey! Tossed out like yesterday's garbage :rofl:Gen public knows the real superhero is in town now.

I have no doubt the case will be laughed out of the courtroom as soon as possible. It's like when people tried to blame Marilyn Manson for Columbine back in 1999. Just utterly ridiculous. As always, in the face of a tragedy like this some people would rather pass the buck and blame entertainment and talk bullshit, than have a serious and critical discussion about gun law reform. It's so frustrating to see.

Agree. How many shootings is it going to take? Guns are the ultimate taboo in American politics. It makes me sick, our elected officials have no balls. If they did, NRA shot them off and shoved them down their throats a long time ago. It all goes back to the sick and twisted lobbying culture we have in government and politics. Elections are bought, not earned.
  • Like 1

Edit: althought this case has no chance of succeeding, so the lawyer will not get paid. You can't say the violence in TDKR drove this guy to do anything since he planned it out weeks before TDKR was even released; he never saw the movie. Moreover, there is no way to prove that any WB movie made this guy violent.

And even if the lawsuit was referring to 'The Dark Knight' and not 'Rises', it would make no sense as people all over the world have seen the movie and it had no effect on them...so it's clear that the insanity has its origin in the person and not the effects of the movie.

Even though this thread will become a BO.C Classic Thread, I think it's fitting to end it on this photo. It's hard to read the 1st 50 pages of this thread and seeing all our reactions as it was unfolding. Sad Thread:

Posted Image

He's not just a Hero on the Big Screen.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

Wait a second. Is it true that the guy suing WB went back and watched the film again over the weekend? Doesn't that undermine the premise of his lawsuit?

The lawsuit will fail. WB doesn't even have to hire lawyers to win this one. You can't sue a movie for the actions of one person.

You'd be surprised what flies here. Sadly.

At least its not the UK. The only place on earth where Liberace could sue you for libel for (accidentally) implying he's gay, and win :P. Edited by Orestes

Australia WB 7/19/12 $15,674,477 100% $15,674,477 7/22/12 Denmark Warner Bros. 7/20/12 $2,075,040 100% $2,075,040 7/22/12 Finland FS Film 7/20/12 $754,264 100% $754,264 7/22/12

Just comparing some numbers internationally, interesting to see that these are the only 3 countries so far that had TDKR open higher than Avengers.

All the other foreign markets opened lesser.

The lawsuit will fail. WB doesn't even have to hire lawyers to win this one. You can't sue a movie for the actions of one person.

They will use their corporate lawyers, but they do need lawyers. It takes a certain level of skill to draft a Motion for Summary Judgment, which will get the case dismissed before it goes to trial. If you write it wrong, you're going to trial and the jury will hear the case.

Australia WB 7/19/12 $15,674,477 100% $15,674,477 7/22/12 Denmark Warner Bros. 7/20/12 $2,075,040 100% $2,075,040 7/22/12 Finland FS Film 7/20/12 $754,264 100% $754,264 7/22/12

Just comparing some numbers internationally, interesting to see that these are the only 3 countries so far that had TDKR open higher than Avengers.

Posted Image

Well yes, Avengers is kind of a monster overseas (what, #3 or #4 all time?), and it certainly doesn't help that there's no 3D.

I don't understand how Judges even allow things to proceed...

Any lawsuit is about following the procedure. There is only so much that a Judge can do. You pay your filing fee and you get your day in Court. You serve your complaint. The Defendant gets to answer. In that answer, they may be able to state things you did wrong, so the case will be dismissed for those reasons (not properly served, you're in the wrong Court). If the Plaintiff did everything right, you move on to the next step.The next step is filing a Motion for Summary Judgment. You tell the Judge there are no facts for a jury to decide, so it's only a matter of applying the law. You ask the Judge to apply the law and rule in your favor. The other side answers that there are facts to decide so this should go to the jury. This is the first chance for the Judge to dismiss the case. If there are no facts, then he will rule in the Moving parties favor, which either awards damages to the Plaintiff or dismisses the case for the Defendant.If there are facts for a jury to decide, the case goes to trial. Then you have discovery where you question witnesses in depositions. Then, you pick a jury. Then, Plaintiff presents their case. After that, the Defendant moves to Dimiss the Case because Plaintiff failed to meet their burden of proof. Plaintiff has the burden of proof, so they need to prove their case. If the Judge feels they have not, then he dismisses the case.If the Judge feels a reasonable Jury could decide the case either way, then the trial continues. Then, the Jury hears all evidence and makes a verdict.As you can see, a Judge is very limited in what he can do. The Defense attorney needs to make the right Motions because the Court will not make the Motions for them.

Wait a second. Is it true that the guy suing WB went back and watched the film again over the weekend? Doesn't that undermine the premise of his lawsuit?

hahahaha suing wb; should sue the ratings agency if anyone

I would've liked to see some Olympics-related TV spots from WB:"The long jump...." (prisoner leaping for ledge)"...boxing..." (Bane and Bat)"...gymnastics...." (Catwoman)Blitz-edit a ton of fighting.... then wrap up with Tom Lennon's doctor -- "I'm sorry, Mr. Wayne, I can't clear you for heli-skiing".Fun to be had, but it'll never happen now.

• Like 2