CoolioD1

The Avengers vs. The Amazing Spider-Man vs. DKR

The Avengers vs. Amazing Spiderman vs. Dark Knight Rises  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best?

• The Avengers
    • The Amazing Spider-Man
    • The Dark Knight Rises

I've finally seen both TDKR and TASM a second time, so now I can form a true opinion.

Best. Movie. Year. Ever.

The Avengers: A+(98*/100)

The Dark Knight Rises: A(95*/100)

The Amazing Spider-Man: A(93**/100)

*Comic Book SH films automatically get 5 pts

**Spider-Man films automatically get 10 pts

:D

• Like 1

I think it's a difficult comparison. Ta is an entertaining fun ride without a good story or asking too much from the audience. Which is fine. TDKR on the other hand is very ambitious, dark, serious and epic. It's a different league. For a lot of people TA is more fun. But who the hell vote for TASM? lol

• Like 1

The Avengers A+++ (616/100)The Amazing Spider-Man A+ (95/100)The Dark Knight Rises C- (60/100)But The Amazing Spider-Man owns my heart, so I'm picking that one over The Avengers. Both are pretty equal in my book. :wub:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ICLjJyhDo
  • Like 3

TA has possibly the best repeat value of any blockbuster I've ever seen in my life. I've seen it 5 times in theaters and enjoyed it just as thoroughly and just as much each and everytime. The action is just as exhilarating, the pacing is just as sublime, and most surprising of all the jokes are just as funny and fresh with every viewing. All the main characters and their individual stories and the convergences of those are handled so well it's like watching a master class in characterization and multiple plot juggling. There's little new things I've picked up each time as well. The movie just begs to be watched over and over. I can't honestly think of any other movie that holds up so remarkably on so many repeat viewings in such a short time. I'm ready to see it again and again.

TDKR was far more enjoyable for me on the second viewing, and I think it needs a second viewing to really sink in. It's a different kind of superhero movie, even for Batman and Nolan, and it takes some getting used to. I still think there are pacing issues (it's boring in several little spots and slightly bloated), Batman isn't in it close to enough to justify it even being a Batman flick, and the villain(s) are sorely lacking after the brilliance that was The Joker in TDK. The plot is really just a super sized version of the plot in Begins when you get down to it, but it does work well and ties it back to the beginning of the trilogy nicely. The ending is handled very nicely, there's some stellar performances from Caine, Hathaway, and even Bale but overall it falls short of the masterpiece I've always felt and still feel TDK is. I give it a solid A- though after a second viewing and it's much better than I initially thought.

Doesn't touch the entertainment and fun that is the sheer summer blockbuster nirvana of TA though.

TA - A+ (in my top 3 fav summer blockbusters of all time)

TDKR - A-

Edited by MovieMan89

The Dark Knight Rises - a film that gets so much better on repeat viewings. Beautifully shot and emotionally powerful. Its ambition is to be applauded, and the performances are fantastic across the board (Hathaway, Caine, Bale, and Cotillard). Hathaway was just phenomenal. By far the most interesting and alluring take on Selina Kyle. It's the most human superhero film ever made, and definitely the one that carries the most thematic weight. It's very slightly bloated in a few places, but it still remains the conclusion to the best trilogy ever (I would have said LoTR but RoTK was a disappointment). A+

The Amazing Spider-Man - I think it might be the biggest surprise of the year for me. While I won't rank it higher than TDKR, I was floored by how engaged I was. Not only is Andrew Garfield the best Peter Parker ever, but Emma Stone was a great Gwen Stacy. I really do love this film, and it's by far my favorite Spider-Man film. While I do love SM2, I'm in no way enamored by Maguire or Dunst. Garfield/Stone have the most electrifying chemistry ever. A

Avengers - The actors are good. The jokes are pretty good. But the film is shockingly bloated due to the overwhelming action sequences that seem to stretch on for ages. The story is beyond mediocre, and I walked out of this film immensely underwhelmed. Maybe some are all right with non-stop action, but I can't get involved with a film that doesn't develop its characters much. By far the worst of the superhero films released this year. C+

Avengers - The actors are good. The jokes are pretty good. But the film is shockingly bloated due to the overwhelming action sequences that seem to stretch on for ages. The story is beyond mediocre, and I walked out of this film immensely underwhelmed. Maybe some are all right with non-stop action, but I can't get involved with a film that doesn't develop its characters much. By far the worst of the superhero films released this year. C+

You're kidding me right? TA has better characterization than TDKR and TASM combined which is downright extraordinary since it's juggling way more characters than either of those. And I can't believe you think the action is bloated. Yeah the big action scene at the end is long, but it's also immensely entertaining and never boring. TDKR's final action scene felt longer to me even though it probably wasn't, but it wasn't even 1/100th as fun or well executed as TA's.
  • Like 1

You're kidding me right? TA has better characterization than TDKR and TASM combined which is downright extraordinary since it's juggling way more characters than either of those. And I can't believe you think the action is bloated. Yeah the big action scene at the end is long, but it's also immensely entertaining and never boring. TDKR's final action scene felt longer to me even though it probably wasn't, but it wasn't even 1/100th as fun or well executed as TA's.

You have GOT to be kidding me. Seriously, that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. How is the characterization of any character in the Avengers better than something like Bruce's journey in TDKR? In what universe?

Seriously, that's flat out the most idiotic thing I've ever read. You're THE first person to say that. You may think Avengers is more fun, but better characterization?

Cute. LOL.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 4

:rofl:Funniest comment i read on the board today. Thank you! P.S. A big green guy who only talks in one syllable words is not "characterization," just ask Batman and Robin. ;)

I thought Avengers was very well done (hilarious script, wonderful dialogue, awesome Hulk), but it lacked the heart of IM1 and certainly didn't have the heart of TDKR either. TASM also had more heart to it than Avengers IMHO. What Spidey lacked was a good villain.TDKR - 8/10TA - 8/10ASM - 7/10

I loved The Dark Knight Rises. It's intensely compelling and brings the themes of its predecessors to a head in very satisfying fashion. I'm sure that even by the end of December, it will still be one of my favorites of the year. A

I very thoroughly enjoyed The Avengers. It's lacking in substance, yes, but it it moves fast, it's ridiculously entertaining, it does a very good job balancing the cast of superheroes and allows them to have memorable interactions with one another, and the third act kicks a lot of ass while remaining involving for its viewers. A-

The Amazing Spider-Man is one of the biggest disappointments of the year to date for me. Andrew Garfield is a solid Spider-Man/Peter Parker, but the movie feels unusually small for such a massively budgeted tentpole, and while much was made of this film's focus on character and emotion, I think Sam Raimi's 2002 film was more effective in those respects. And that's to say nothing of the fact that the film leaves some large loose ends waiting for the sequel. I do hold out hope that the sequel will be much more satisfying, but I didn't think this was a good start. C+

• Like 1

You have GOT to be kidding me. Seriously, that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. How is the characterization of any character in the Avengers better than something like Bruce's journey in TDKR? In what universe?Seriously, that's flat out the most idiotic thing I've ever read. You're THE first person to say that. You may think Avengers is more fun, but better characterization?Cute. LOL.

You do know that humour IS characterisation, don't you? People like the characters in TA because they are funny, and humour creates empathy. It's the same reason people prefer Han Solo to Luke Skywalker or Captain Jack to any of the other characters in Pirates. Whedon is smart enough to know that if he made the first TA a fun adventure with lots of humour (like Star Wars: ANH) then it will make it that much more impactful whe he tears the characters apart in his ESB-style sequel.

I did not care for the characters in Avengers but I did not care for them before hand. I felt Avengers lacked heart.

Offering my two cents on the characterization argument: Whether the characterization in The Avengers is stronger or weaker than that of the other two movies, it is there. Each of the heroes has a distinct personality that was developed in their previous film(s) and sharpened in The Avengers. And while a lesser screenplay would have diluted those personalities as a result of putting them together, Whedon's script allows them to mesh very cleanly with one another.As is, it seems silly to compare characterization in The Avengers with that in The Dark Knight Rises. On top of the huge tonal differences between the two films, one is an ensemble film that develops several characters as part of a collective unit, while the other is a film with a large cast but has a primary focus on one character's journey.

• Like 1

You do know that humour IS characterisation, don't you? People like the characters in TA because they are funny, and humour creates empathy. It's the same reason people prefer Han Solo to Luke Skywalker or Captain Jack to any of the other characters in Pirates. Whedon is smart enough to know that if he made the first TA a fun adventure with lots of humour (like Star Wars: ANH) then it will make it that much more impactful whe he tears the characters apart in his ESB-style sequel.

Iron Man 1 was loaded with humor too, but still had a lot more heart than Avengers. Tony's scenes in the cave with the doctor plus his moment with Pepper when he tells her he finally knows what he needs to do. Avengers never came close to hitting those kind of emotional chords for me. The thing I really enjoyed about Avengers' humor is that it wasn't toilet humor like the Transformers movies. It was very much along the lines of IM1 in delivering non-cheesy, non-toilet humor. Well written for sure.
  • Like 2