CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

I watched this today and I'm disappointed :/

I was so excited, but almost all the jokes are in the trailer, without this, the movie is really boring, even my sister who love Minions was bored, I will be surprised if this finish fresh at RT, especially after a masterpiece like IO.

Yeah I just watched it, and this is pretty much my main reaction. Except for a couple, all of the best material is featured in the trailer. However, the trailer gave a zippier pace... here not only are the jokes telegraphed, but paced much slower and have much less comedic momentum. There are only a few obnoxious scenes, one of which involves the musical Hair and just screams, "look how RANDOM and SILLY we're being!" Thankfully it's a bare minimum.

Otherwise, the movie is rather boring once the three minions step into NYC, the bank robbing family is a small, amusing uptick (although they somehow find a way to REALLY drive the joke into the ground)... and then you get to Scarlett Overkill and the narrative completely falls apart. The movie tries extremely hard at first to give all these characters something unique, then throws it away for the most part. So, instead we rely on the plot which fumbles over and over (unbelivable for one this paper-thin) and the stakes are so forced and rather uninteresting. (just like the film's villain)

It's not terrible by any means, the designs are neat and the concepts are sometimes creative. Yet you can just feel the corporate product in this, it's a bit cold and boring, and does the bare minimum to flesh these characters out. I think critics are mostly suffering from severly lowered expectations and it shows. Next to zero real bathroomn humor, surprisingly clever period gags that are shockingly subtle and while I thought it was bland, it is also very harmless... you could do (and see) muchworse.

I think it'll arrive in theaters, make a buttload of money (probably around the same amount that IO is making domestically, but somewhat more internationally), and then people will forget about it as soon as DM3 comes out. 

Because it's fitting that the best part of the movie is the ending, when teenaged Gru shows up. Just seeing that character again was like a breath of fresh air, and it's neat that they actually gave him lines voiced by a digitally manipulated Steve Carrell.

Edited by goldenstate5
  • Like 1

If IO finishes with 325 mil, I do not see Minions finishing with 50 plus that. Probably 20 mil more at best. This film is much more disposable than both DM1 and DM2, there's no way it'll be THAT leggy.

The WW total, yes, will be a good chunk higher.

It doesn't need legs considering it will have a monster debut. A 3.1-3.2x multi would be enough. And that is low for an animation movie, especially one as well received as this one will be. If critics like it then the audiences will surely love it. I talked to a friend in UK a couple of days ago. She's 21 and she loved it. 

It doesn't need legs considering it will have a monster debut. A 3.1-3.2x multi would be enough. And that is low for an animation movie, especially one as well received as this one will be. If critics like it then the audiences will surely love it. I talked to a friend in UK a couple of days ago. She's 21 and she loved it. 

Currently predicting it'll have a 110 mil debut, putting it around 340 mil with a 3x multi. I just don't see this doing 400 mil DOM. I really don't. If it does that number, I'd be flabbergasted. 

It will definitely do great internationally... global audiences love to lap up lazy American animation like the Ice Age movies.

Saw Inside Out yesterday and ran into a coworker and her mom. Saw her at work today and we were talking about it and talking about the previews and she brought up Minions. She's excited and said "I'm definitely taking my mom to that. She lovessssss the Minions." Her mom is definitely 50's or pretty close to it.

Anecdotal yes. But it just shows the adult appeal that these yellow Tylenol's have. That to me is going to be the difference maker. We already know families are gonna show up, but what will really separate Minions and put it into all time 150 (adjusted) blockbuster status, which $340M+ grosses, is if these adults show up. How do you think Shrek 2 made so much money? Same with Frozen. "Let it Go" really got adults involved, and they didn't mind going kidless. IMO you can't get to those levels without it.

I think Minions can do it, but adults will be key. I'm seeing advertisements on adult targeted media, not just places like Nickelodeon, so that's good. Legs will interesting to track, but a monster opening is in store here. Even if its "boring", I can't see legs suffering that much. There's literally no direct competition for months. IMO Pixels is probably the closest thing.

• Like 1

WOW! Universal has confirmed that Minions has recorded the biggest ever three-day opening for an animation in the UK!

http://www.screendaily.com/news/minions-ends-jurassic-era-at-uk-box-office-with-181m-debut/5089898.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=42422

I see you posted this twice, one in the OS thread.

Anyway, KABOOM!

• Like 1

Well, the reviews here and elsewhere made me decide to skip this in the theater and just watch it on bluray or streaming later on. I don't doubt most of the GA does not adhere to online reviews, so I expect a big opening, but if it's as meh as it sounds, I don't expect particularly strong legs.

Well, the reviews here and elsewhere made me decide to skip this in the theater and just watch it on bluray or streaming later on. I don't doubt most of the GA does not adhere to online reviews, so I expect a big opening, but if it's as meh as it sounds, I don't expect particularly strong legs.

Reviews so far look pretty much on par with the DM movies. No reason for anyone to read anything into them.

That being said, I despised DM2, so I don't have high expectations for this.

• Like 2

Hell, forget Inside Out. I think this film is going to decimate EVERYTHING at the box office. Even Ted 2 has a bit of crossover appeal among older auds.

I bet JP4 will benefit from those drive-in double features. Highly doubt Universal would be stupid enough to put R-rated comedy with PG animation for the double bill.

• Like 1