mmacader

Tuesday (7/24/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $17.76m

I agree with the weekdays, but I see the Friday increase < 40% a bit low. I think it could have a 50% Thu-Fri increase, what would make the weekend could reach 70 million (21 / 27 / 22)

TDK increased by 41% though.

TDK blew off $80m in demand on its weekdays and didn't have a mass shooting eat into its family audience. With TDKR's length, it seems like something adults would wait to see on the weekend since there isn't much time on work nights. However, the thing that will hurt it this weekend is the Olympics. So that will likely cancel out some of the adult audience waiting to see the film on the weekend.

The Watch is tracking at sub $20M last we saw. The Dark Knight Rises has nothing to worry about.

The Watch is going to get hurt because of the Trayvon story that's going on in Florida. The timing is wrong for a movie about a neighborhood watch.
  • Like 1

Olympics opening ceremony could deflate the Friday night gross quite a bit.

The ceremony will end at about midnight (London time), 19 hours in East Coast if I'm not wrong. It could affect to afternoon shows, but evening shows are out.
  • Like 1

Well, we will know if shooting has affected. And I agree with redfirebird that maybe some people have waited to see it because there are not enough time on weeekdays to see the movie because of long runtime. This is not like TDK. This is a strange run...

Right around what I was expecting......With regards to Tuesday discounts, it is certainly more prevalent today than in 2008 or even in 2011. Receipts from Canada actually double on Tuesdays nowadays. Still ignoring it,the Mon-Wed drops for TDK was 25% while that of DH2 was 32%. I'd expect something in between for TDKR, hopefully closer to TDK. So I am expecting around 14M for Wednesday, or 20-22% drop for Tue-Wed.

Olympic ceremony is that 3 pm-5 pm est and 1pm-3pm pst, not at night

I could be wrong, but won't they re-broadcast the opening ceremony at night on NBC?The Olympics are usually taped anyway, since a lot of times it takes place in another country. Live telecasts aren't really that feasible for most. If they broadcast the ceremony on Friday night in the US, it will still be a factor.
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but won't they re-broadcast the opening ceremony at night on NBC?The Olympics are usually taped anyway, since a lot of times it takes place in another country. Live telecasts aren't really that feasible for most. If they broadcast the ceremony on Friday night in the US, it will still be a factor.

Good point; it usually isn't shown live. Even when it was in the U.S. it was on tape delay. However, this is not a factor that we couldn't anticipate. We knew about the olympics way ahead of time. So if there is an effect, it's one that should have been anticipated long ago.

You are correct. Looks like it will be running from 7:30 PM Eastern to 12:00 AM Eastern.

I could be wrong, but won't they re-broadcast the opening ceremony at night on NBC?

The Olympics are usually taped anyway, since a lot of times it takes place in another country. Live telecasts aren't really that feasible for most. If they broadcast the ceremony on Friday night in the US, it will still be a factor.

They did that in 2008 Beijing Olympics.

I think the Watch will be #1 this weekend if that's the case. Audiences seem to love it. Seems to be getting good buzz.Awaiting the RT scores...

Sorry, but you think Watch will make more than 65 mill this weekend? Dude, lay off the crack....:)