mmacader

Tuesday (7/24/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $17.76m

I'm surprised that the spots for The Watch haven't done more to push the alien invasion angle, especially given that the filmmakers already changed the title to distance the film from the Trayvon Martin shooting. As is, the fact that references to aliens in most of the advertising are cursory makes it seem like a dumb comedy where Stiller, Vaughn, and Hill run around spouting vulgarities and occasionally firing their weapons. Between that and the tracking, I wouldn't be surprised to see it open under $20 million.As for The Dark Knight Rises: It's disappointing that the movie isn't reaching the same stratospheric heights as its predecessor, but it's impressive that it's still making so much money while also being tied to a headline-dominating tragedy. And as someone else has probably already pointed out in this thread, the hold for Dark Knight Rises on Tuesday was stronger than that of The Dark Knight on its first Tuesday (8.5% vs. 14.8%).

I'm surprised that the spots for The Watch haven't done more to push the alien invasion angle, especially given that the filmmakers already changed the title to distance the film from the Trayvon Martin shooting. As is, the fact that references to aliens in most of the advertising are cursory makes it seem like a dumb comedy where Stiller, Vaughn, and Hill run around spouting vulgarities and occasionally firing their weapons. Between that and the tracking, I wouldn't be surprised to see it open under $20 million.As for The Dark Knight Rises: It's disappointing that the movie isn't reaching the same stratospheric heights as its predecessor, but it's impressive that it's still making so much money while also being tied to a headline-dominating tragedy. And as someone else has probably already pointed out in this thread, the hold for Dark Knight Rises on Tuesday was stronger than that of The Dark Knight on its first Tuesday (8.5% vs. 14.8%).

Everyone has to realize that 60% of "Movie-Goers" are still a little shaky because of Fridays incident.

Everyone has to realize that 60% of "Movie-Goers" are still a little shaky because of Fridays incident.

I think it's closer to 37.665%.
  • Like 3

If The Watch looked funny it would be fine. But it doesn't. And the fact that they're reusing the same jokes in each trailer/TV spot is telling of how funny the rest of the movie will be.

Yes the hear his face joke was funny the first time I heard it. Since it's the only thing they're showing in the spots we have a law of diminishing returns already.

• Like 1

Ted was also Seth McFarlane's first movie. I think his fans knew most of the jokes would be too raunchy for spots and were excited for the movie itself

Weren't people expecting Tues numbers to rise?

That's what I was wondering. Why did TDKR drop >8% while everything else in the top ten increased by double digit percentages for Tuesday compared to Monday? Possibly predicting bad legs for TDKR? :(

Edited by xube

That's what I was wondering. Why did TDKR drop >8% while everything else in the top ten increased by double digit percentages for Tuesday compared to Monday? Possibly predicting bad legs for TDKR? :(

No, just what follows a 160m weekend.

There was no way it was increasing. Most big movies see decreases on their first Tuesday. TDK dropped 14% it's first Tuesday. The only reason TDKR dropped less is due to the prevalence of discount Tuesdays.

Also, TA decreased on its first Tuesday as well by 6.5%