mmacader

Monday (7/30/12) Numbers TDKR $8,160,046

Reboot vs sequel... I'm not a smart guy lieutenant Daaaaaaaaan but aren't they different?For a reboot, I'd say job accomplished.

Actually, if we are getting it right, the line is "I'm not a smart man Jenny, but I know what love is." :P
  • Like 1

Look, it's not my problem that you don't have a clue about international box office. Finishing well below SM3 internationally, despite 5 years of inflation, market expansion and 3D, is not impressive at all.

You said no sequel which is just false.You've taken the moniker of "king troll" from BKB very well. He would be pround of your logic.

Who knew 3rd fastest ever to reach 300M would feel like such a downer.

We expected it to be 2nd fastest. The box office changed 2 weeks ago.

I expected it to finish well above SM3 as well, but the fact is it's still making a shitload of money. Your claim was that it's not making enough to justify a sequel. That's a crock of nonsense.

At the end of the day Spidey will be very close to MIB3 in terms of profitability. I don't see Sony rushing forward with MIB sequel, but they seem desperate to turn TASM into trilogy. I bet they think Spidey sequels will increase...They are wrong.The fact that TASM failed to increase from SM3 internationally clearly shows that this franchise is on a downward slope, not just domestically, but OS as well.
  • Like 1

We expected it to be 2nd fastest. The box office changed 2 weeks ago.

Or people just weren't as excited for this film as many here thought they were. :)
  • Like 4

At the end of the day Spidey will be very close to MIB3 in terms of profitability. I don't see Sony rushing forward with MIB sequel, but they seem desperate to turn TASM into trilogy. I bet they think Spidey sequels will increase...They are wrong.The fact that TASM failed to increase from SM3 internationally clearly shows that this franchise is on a downward slope, not just domestically, but OS as well.

Stop while you're... this far behind. You don't want to start going backwards. Edited by Letsuseournoggin

Or people just weren't as excited for this film as many here thought they were. :)

In all fairness, I think a 175-180 million OW weekend haul, would have given this a fair shot at 2nd fastest, but your point still stands. This films expectations, even if the shooting didn't take place, were a bit high, in retrospect. Myself included.
  • Like 2

In all fairness, I think a 175-180 million OW weekend haul, would have given this a fair shot at 2nd fastest, but your point still stands. This films expectations, even if the shooting didn't take place, were a bit high, in retrospect. Myself included.

Soooo...are you starting to come around on my ideas about the Joker and Ledger perhaps? Maybe? ;):P

You are like talking to a brick wall. :bash: :bash: :bash:
  • Like 2

You would think people would stop hating on the film. The incident has already done it's damage to the gross. TDKR is trying to recover.TDKR currently stands in the #43 of ALL TIME at the moment.

Soooo...are you starting to come around on my ideas about the Joker and Ledger perhaps? Maybe? ;):P

Ledger yes, Joker maybe? TDKR will sell slightly less tickets than B89 and that can easily be contributed to the shooting.

Would have passed 500m in my opinion without the shooting

I don't think it would have. WOM is not strong enough. But we've done this dance before, no point in doing it again.
  • Like 1

I was sad to report that by the end of the first weekend, I had accepted that the anticipation from the general audience, although massive no doubt, had been overestimated on this forum, with me absolutely being a part of it. I bought into the 200m OW and over TDK club. But looking back on it, and objectively approaching the entire matter, even if the shooting hadn't occurred, 180m OW would have been tops IMO and a domestic haul of maybe 500-510m would have been the max. Again, just my opinion so I don't want to start another debate here, but the only thing I can attribute to these drops is yes, the Joker and Ledger effect. I felt that other factors were at play that could have compensated for lack of those two, but alas, it's quite obvious now that the effect was bigger than I had realized.I should have stuck to my original prediction from the get go -181m OW481m Dom691m OSPretty reasonable I think and I had not yet gone into loonytown.
  • Like 2

Ledger yes, Joker maybe? TDKR will sell slightly less tickets than B89 and that can easily be contributed to the shooting.

Slightly is not accurate. Let's say it reaches $75m in IMAX and $450m total. That's the equivalent of $420m without IMAX. B89 is $500m adjusted, which is about 19% higher in ticket sales than TDKR. That is not a small difference. Meanwhile, $420m without IMAX boost would be 25% higher ticket sales than the next highest non-Joker Batman film, Batman Forever. Pretty damn good.