Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

Boxoffice ‏@BoxofficeTHE DARK KNIGHT RISES grossed an estimated $3.125 million on Friday and in the process passed the $400 million domestic mark.

• Like 1

I think that druv10's comment is absolutely accurate: The Avengers breathed life into the box office and yet managed to suck the box office life out of everything not named The Avengers. Audiences preferred to see critically acclaimed TA five times than to give mediocre-looking films with so-so reviews a chance, and the box office storm that Whedon's film was at the center of only helped fuel TA's status as a must-see event.

• Like 4

Boxoffice ‏@BoxofficeTHE DARK KNIGHT RISES grossed an estimated $3.125 million on Friday and in the process passed the $400 million domestic mark.

3.1? No chance of hitting 4M for Sat?

It's alright man. Hopefully, it sees an increase today. :)

It could. The first did decent midnight business and this had small midnights because it wasn't playing at midnight.Also, the bomb threat at 200 theaters yesterday killed matinees there. This might pick up today.

The fanbase seems to enjoy it so it has done well.I honestly never saw $50M ow ever happening. I'm a late 80's early 90's kid and I grew up with Arnold, Sly, Jean-Claude etc...but honestly the gimmick has not worked for me. Yes I would kill to see them all in one movie BUT at their PRIME not way past their sell by date.

This one has a "been there done that" feel for me. The first time the gimmick was cool...but as you say...these guys are a bit long in the tooth. I felt like it was saying, "We're doing it again! This time with Chuck Norris!" I want to see it...but it's a DVD rental.

What a lame comment. The shooting cost it 20-30M on the OW alone. Multiply that by 2.8M, and that's the impact over the course of TDKR's entire run - around 70M.Don't use this depressed market to justify your bullshit predictions.

What a bullshit retort. If TDKR was as well liked as some of you think it is, then it would have rebounded much better in the weeks to come. Don't use your love for it as an excuse to be blinded by teh truth.
  • Like 1

I think that druv10's comment is absolutely accurate: The Avengers breathed life into the box office and yet managed to suck the box office life out of everything not named The Avengers. Audiences preferred to see critically acclaimed TA five times than to give mediocre-looking films with so-so reviews a chance, and the box office storm that Whedon's film was at the center of only helped fuel TA's status as a must-see event.

You and Druv10 pretty much nailed it IMO. Hopefully we will have a strong winter holiday.