Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

I would've cut my prediction from about 475m to around 440m if you had told me what was gonna happen would happen. And guess what? 440-450M is exactly where it's headed. ;)

A perfect example of using the tragedy to justify your agenda

Gitesh saying $12 mn Friday and $30mn weekend for TE2.

Since TE2 is making less than TE on OD, it should end up with a better hold on Sat and a slightly higher IM. 12 should mean 32m or so, IMO.

Ah, man you are so full of shit. You just said your prediction was $450-470m...you'd only lower it by $10m? Get the hell out of here. You're just not being honest anymore dude.

My low end of the range BEFORE the shooting was $450m. That was my low end. I always had it around the $470m mark total. Go check my summer game prediction. I have it at $458m by Labor Day, meaning I obviously was expecting a finish in the 470m range. So yes, I would've only cut my prediction by about $25-30m if I had known the tragedy would happen. And that lines up perfectly with what it's gonna do. Again, I'm not nor have ever been the one defending a wrong prediction here. Yet you seem to think I make no sense or am not being honest? Sounds to me like you're the one irked about it not doing what you expected and of course you're looking for something to justify that. Enter the overplaying of and hiding behind the tragedy.

Then tell me why Step Up 4, Total Recall, Wimpy Kid 3, Bourne, The Campaign, Hope Springs, Sparkle, Timothy Green, and Paranorman all opened to just what they were expected and projected to?

You should know more then me that Total Recall did not opened as expected ;) You were expecting mid 30s and attacking those calling for bomb when early friday numbers posted.

You should know more then me that Total Recall did not opened as expected ;) You were expecting mid 30s and attacking those calling for bomb when early friday numbers posted.

I said it should open to around $30m. The fact that it came a mere $4m short of that is hardly massively underperfoming expectations.

I said it should open to around $30m. The fact that it came a mere $4m short of that is hardly massively underperfoming expectations.

25M OW for a 200M+ budget film not underperfoming?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Except it cost $125m and NO ONE expected it to make its budget back in the first place. So no, TR was not an underperformer because it did exactly what most people thought it would.

Wrong on all accounts.

Can we just stop with this nonsense and just move on because quiet frankly, this is getting very tiresome.

Sorry. Guess I need to learn how to ignore it when people ignore the evidence just to constantly try to fuel your flames. But hey nearly 5000 posts to my first true meltdown isn't too bad! :P

TR was not an underperformer because it did exactly what most people thought it would.

I love this kind of logic. TR didn't underperform, even as it lost countless millions for Sony, because everyone expected it to bomb.

Have you tried saying this out loud to yourself?

TR underperformed as a film that needs to make a profit, but anyone who really thinks it underperformed based on what everyone expected it to do all along is into some serious revisionist history. It was never gonna do much better no matter what. JackO was trying to use it as an example to help support some ill conceived idea that the tragedy was still greatly affecting the box office.

Edited by MovieMan89

TDKR will fall short of its 2008 predecessor by around $90-100 million (unadjusted) domestically. It is a relatively disappointing performance.

Nobody ever expected it to match/exceed it domestically (Not the sane people) and you have to factor in the Aura tragedy effecting its business. No way a $400M+ domestic gross (on its way to just under $450M total and $1B WW) can be interprated as disappointing.