Jack Nevada

Visually Beautiful Movies

Bernardo Bertolucci's The Conformist. Holy hell if Vittorio Storaro isn't the greatest cinematographer of all time I'm not sure who is. 

Storaro's great with color. Looking back on earlier movies that set the stage for what he's does: check out movies shot by Jack Cardiff (in particular, BLACK NARCISSUS). Just stunning stuff that evokes an almost visceral emotion.

• Like 1

Any fans of cinematography, look up VISIONS OF LIGHT -- it's a 1992 documentary about how cinematography has changed in the 100 years of cinema. Sounds dry and boring? Nothing could be further from the truth! It features interviews with many famous cinematographers, talking about what's influenced the, and how they learned from the greats, and the doc is chock-full of clips from all these great films. Amazing footage, some of which you'll be familiar with and some you won't, and I guarantee there will be at least one shot that will take your breath away.

Thanks for the hint; I didn't know about it, I guess it was never shown here - really good doc. btw, if there's a Guinness Book item like "Motion Picture with most ASCs in the Credits", this must be it :lol:

Any fans of cinematography, look up VISIONS OF LIGHT -- it's a 1992 documentary about how cinematography has changed in the 100 years of cinema. Sounds dry and boring? Nothing could be further from the truth! It features interviews with many famous cinematographers, talking about what's influenced the, and how they learned from the greats, and the doc is chock-full of clips from all these great films. Amazing footage, some of which you'll be familiar with and some you won't, and I guarantee there will be at least one shot that will take your breath away.

Also, this nice feature on youtube. Has some great DPs talking about their work. Watch all 6 parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJm2EGNIod0

Now I'm wondering what film is not visually beautiful, cause every type of films is getting mentioned in this thread. :P

Yeah it's as if people don't know what 'visually beautiful' implies. I mean The black Swan??? Come on, what the fuck, it was depressingly and intentionally dull.
  • Like 1

Black Swan is a beautiful film. Visually in the case of cinematography doesn't mean that each frame has to be a work of art - that would only be photography. it's also about how the film catches movement. And in Black Swan, we have great movement, both from actors and dancers, and from the camera itself, which nearly dances on its own in many scenes (there's a reason it was shot in 16mm, besides it being cheaper).

I sort of can't stand those Aronofsky shots when he has the camera right in front of the back of someone's head (see both Wrestler and BS), but the dancing scenes looked fantastic, that's for sure.

Yeah, those shots of portman still irk me in the film.