Gopher

Weekend Box Off... You Know What, Who Cares (9/7-9)

• Founder / Operator

Won't be surprised if Sunday numbers are being over-estimated, personally.

I'm really anxious to see if next weekend gives us the boost we're hoping for or if interest in going to the movies is really that flat right now.

Won't be surprised if Sunday numbers are being over-estimated, personally.

I'm really anxious to see if next weekend gives us the boost we're hoping for or if interest in going to the movies is really that flat right now.

There are a lot of big reasons for both Resident Evil 5 and Nemo 3D fail to meet expectations. One is another sequel in a tired franchise, I am thinking on Final Destination 5 all over again, and Nemo 3D probably will be more like Beauty and the Beast and less like Lion King. Edited by CJohn

Who's up for some shooting random Zombies next weekend? I am!Anyway, at this point I just want TDKR to pass Shrek 2. After that, no point in grossing more it's not catching up to star wars.

Agreed. Even if TDKR somehow passed Star Wars, the 3D rerelease would knock TDKR back down to #7. Star Wars will join TDK as the only films to finish in the $500m range. Edited by Clavius

• Founder / Operator

There are a lot of big reasons for both Resident Evil 5 and Nemo 3D fail to meet expectations. One is another sequel in a tired franchise, I am thinking on Final Destination 5 all over again, and Nemo 3D probably will be more like Beauty and the Beast and less like Lion King.

Agreed. I think Nemo will do better than Beauty and closer to Lion King, but really, its a total wild card.

Expendables 2 has a shot at achieving a 3x multiplier..... which would be better than the first one!Has it ever happened before that a first sequel gets better multiplier than the original?

That's a really good question. I honestly can't think of one off the top of my head (besides Wednesday openers obviously), although surely there has to be one or two out there... hmm.

• Founder / Operator

Expendables 2 has a shot at achieving a 3x multiplier..... which would be better than the first one!Has it ever happened before that a first sequel gets better multiplier than the original?

Ah, here's one...technically anyway:Hulk (2003): 2.13xThe Incredible Hulk (2008): 2.43x Edited by ShawnMR

Rambo First Blood 7.2XRambo II 7.4XBig difference in number of theaters though

Finding Nemo 3D won't likely get to Lion King 3D's number, that was such a big surprise and I don't think it will happen again this year. I think Nemo 3D will be in the range of Titanic 3D which ain't bad

Edited by forg