A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

I'm conflicted about the prospect of a fourth. If Dean DeBlois still does it and still gets to conclude the hero's journey arc, fine. Just a tad nervous about the series not getting to a proper finale/getting to a finale but without Dean.

I want to see the ending he's been building up to.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

No idea. If they do do a fourth, I'd hope Dean DeBlois would write/direct again. But I'd rather have a great trilogy. He talked about "completing a story that has a reason for being and a strong sense of integrity and three chapters", that's what I want.

Edited by TServo2049

No idea. If they do do a fourth, I'd hope Dean DeBlois would write/direct again. But I'd rather have a great trilogy. He talked about "completing a story that has a reason for being and a strong sense of integrity and three chapters", that's what I want.

Katzenberg wanted to do 6 KFPs, a fourth HTYYD wouldnt surprise me. Dreamworks seem to be relying on too much on their existing franchises rather than develop new films. 

Well, considering how often their original films have been falling on their faces, I almost wouldn't blame them at this point.

It's not that they're not developing new films, it's that they're having trouble developing new HITS. When three of their last four originals led to write-downs, they might be forgiven for retreating to the security blanket of their franchises.

And speaking of originals, that's another reason I want HTTYD to conclude. I want to see what Dean DeBlois can do next. By the time this wraps, he will have been working on the same series for almost a decade.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Well, considering how often their original films have been falling on their faces, I almost wouldn't blame them at this point.

It's not that they're not developing new films, it's that they're having trouble developing new HITS. When three of your last four originals led to write-downs, you might be forgiven for retreating to the security blanket of your franchises...

And speaking of originals, that's another reason I want HTTYD to conclude. I want to see what Dean DeBlois can do next. By the time this wraps, he will have been working on the same series for almost a decade.

DWA have only themselves to blame, the three films a year schedule means one or two films ends up not being good and underperforms or flops. 

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter that much. It is already a WW franchise. HTTYD3 can make just 100M in the US and still make more WW than HTTYD2. It would only need to increase around 76M OS, and that's not very hard to do. I bet the next one will hit 700M WW.