The Adventures of Tintin

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Adventures of Tintin

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

There is no Tintin character development to be explored. He is who he is.

That's true to an extent. In the comics he functions as the role of the audience, often just telling the reader what's going on. But that doesn't translate to film. For the first twenty minutes or so, it's like Orlando Bloom's character from Pirates of the Caribbean is the main character. It's just not that interesting. But then he meets his Jack Sparrow (Captain Haddock) and the movie really takes off.

Tintin isn't much of a character; the books were mostly about exploring something together with Tintin (they were targeted at kids in a time when the Americas or the Balkan or even Scotland - or the moon! - were foreign territory for even most grown-ups). Main protagonist was the place. You might compare that to Avatar, where Pandora played a major role. JakeSully was the one through whose eyes we learned about the place, but they had to give him a love interest and loyality conflicts to keep us interested in his character. So, to stay true to the Tintin-books character, Spielberg should have concentrated on the places (especially the sukh) and inhabitants. Instead he choose to treat them strictly as background for the action sequences. So, that's what we got: Flawless action, beautiful scenery, non-stop entertainment but little (for Spielberg, anyway) emotional involvement.

The movie was really fun, the CGI was well done, and the acting was top notch. The only thing that really bothered me is that the film jumps right into the story. I had a hard time believing in the beginning of the movie that Tintin could live by himself and carry a gun. I mean the film doesn't even mention his parents. Besides that I loved the film.

Saw most of this at the cheap theater today (sound cut out with 20 mins left). Anyway, what I saw I absolutely loved. The best animated film of the year. Loved the little Jaws reference with TinTin's hair, and Snowy was great, as long as Serkis as Haddock. Can't wait to finish this when it comes out on blu ray.A

I'm not coming at this as a Tintin fan (never read it) but just a casual watcher. I actually found it tedious to get through to the point where by the time we got to action sequence #20, I kind of tuned out. The animation is great (albeit creepy), as is the voice casting, but the story did nothing for me and seemed to really drag near the end. I'll add more later (just got done watching it) but for now...

***/*****, (B-/C+, 6.3/10, 2.5/4)

Edited by TheMovieman

It's very entertaining but completely forgettable. It's too easy and not good enough for Spielberg. Like all his movies after Catch me if you can. I hope he finds his inspiration with Lincoln or any of his future projects and give us again something special.

This didn't really work for me. I'm not familiar with the source material, so that may be a factor. However, outside of some fantastic visuals and creative action sequences (and the Captain to a certain extent), everything else was just damn boring. The characters were boring, their motives were boring, the story was boring, etc.

It's one of those films that is so visual-centric that everything else just comes across extremely hollow, which leads to an absence of investment for the viewer. I also didn't really capture the tone they were going for.....seems at times the action would be more intense than expected, but would be followed by cartoony stuff more suited for young kids.

C

there is a good Indiana Jones movie after alll huh

Schindler's List 100/100
War of the Worlds 100/100
Empire of the Sun 100/100
Munich 90/100
Jaws 85/100
Bridge of Spies 80/100
Jurassic Park 80/100

Tintin 75/100
Always 75/100
Minority Report 65/100