The Adventures of Tintin

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Adventures of Tintin

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Had a review somewhere but honestly despite the excellence of the animation and some of the set-pieces and cinematography, because Tintin as a character is so bland, the movie suffers. Snowy and the Captain, whose name I forget, are true characters, Tintin is just so boring and uninteresting.

Saw this twice, my opinion:The film is visually stunning and virtually perfect from the technical POV. Nearly nonstop-action and beautiful setpieces keep you entertained throughout; in fact so much that i doubt that this will be a big favourite with children. The colours are stunning (hyper-realism; quite nicely referring to the bright comic artwork by Hergé). Also, it's obvious that Spielberg had a lot of fun with the new medium. Not only the long chase sequence, but many smaller or short shots are simply brillant.However, the film lacks what I would call a human element, which is not the fault of the motion-captaure process (which is perfect) but a problem in the script. As much as I admire the writers' other work, in Tintin they just didn't deliver. As a lifelong fan of the comics, the problem stands out quite clearly to me: In the comics, especially when dealing with exotic places, the place itself and often the people there played a part of their own. In this film, the harbour town in Marocco is strictly background. If, let's say, Tintin had made some friends there among the young (and preferably poor) inhabitants and they in turn had helped him later on, there would have been somebody to root for. It's strange that someone like Spielberg overlooked such an obvious opportunity.As it stands, I recommend this as a fun ride, but doubt its staying power in cinemas - not much repeat business, I would guess. A sequel will happen (this will do reasonable business and also do very well on BR/DVD) and I really hope for a better script.

It was good on a visual level, but the story came across as really weak to me, and honestly, I got bored a fair few times. The film had the potential to be SO much better. Overall a bit of a disappointment, but I'd be interested to see what they'd do with a sequel. B-

• Community Manager

This is a movie with a great adventure and it skips no time in getting to the adventure (even the opening credits felt like they were trying to be done ASAP to get to the story). The problem with the movie is that for the most part, it's all story. Tintin is introduced to us already fully developed, which is great, but the problem is he doesn't evolve throughout the film. Even worse? We don't really get to know him and he has no stakes in the adventure. He literally just goes on the adventure for the sake of it. The Captain is a much better character in that he does evolve throughout the film, and he even changes, but the emotional core he could have given the story was introduced too late and too little. While the movie never gets boring, it never gives you a reason to care. Although, this movie did handle comedy very well as I don't think a single of it's jokes missed.

Since the movie rushed to get to the adventure, it also felt like the opening of the movie, the part before the adventure, was non-existent. First films should draw the viewer into the character and his world before starting the adventure, not try to do it at the same time. The ending also felt like it was rushed. Not the climax, as that was very well done. There was simply no real resolution. It was a cliffhanger for the next film, which is perfectly fine if you care about the characters. After the movie, I can't really say I care about Tintin or the Captain or the dog enough for the cliffhanger to work properly.

Overall, I recommend seeing this once but I don't see any repeat value.

B

I thought it was quite well done, the computer-generated locations and scenery were very grand in scale. The plot is not very faithful to the original graphic novels in certain parts, but the changes felt very much in the spirit of Tintin so I didn't mind it much. The pirate ship fight is a spectacle to behold and a chase scene towards the end of the film is so over-the-top it's hilarious. The only small downside was that the chase scene was so epic that it almost made the climax of the film a little underwhelming.

The animation and character design were executed well. The caricature artist in the opening scene depicting the characters how they appear in the original graphic novels was a clever way to introduce the new, realistic look for Tintin. Many of the characters, such as Alan and Bianca Castafiore, looked perfect but Thomson, Thompson and Haddock's noses pointed outwards a little too much I thought.

One unfortunate side effect of transferring Tintin into a movie is that the character Snowy gets greatly diminished. In the books, Snowy thinks in his own little thought bubbles so the readers know that he is just as intelligent as the humans surrounding him, although he cannot communicate with them. In the movies, Snowy's thoughts cannot be heard and he behaves much like an ordinary dog most of the time, leading to a subconscious feeling that he's "just an ordinary dog" and the occasions where he does something smart feel inconsistent with a dog's intellect.

There are lots of great easter eggs for fans of the original novels, but people unfamiliar with the original stories may have a hard time caring about the main character, Tintin, as others have said. I honestly found Tintin a little bland in the books as well (Haddock is a much more interesting character and becomes pretty much the star by the final book). It's a movie with many aspects that fans will definitely enjoy, but non-fans will not be able to understand.

A-

Edited by MfA

Okay the theater was very crowded. Most crowded I've seen this year. (Though not surprised by that)The Adventures of Tintin 3D1:25 PMVERY few seats were open. Audience was of all ages, quite a few young kids as well as people in there 50s+Trailers:Episode I 3D: I heard a couple of claps.The Lorax (New trailer): Tons of laughs.Titanic 3DMIB3: Tons of laughs, looks great. Glad to see this is coming out. Had the best reaction I believe.Brave: Laughs all over.Madagascar 3: Tons and tons of laughs. Looks pretty good.Movie: Very fun. I call this "Indy Jr." I believe this was the early 50s based off the car at the end (I thought at first it was the late 30s) Funny as well. Smegol made me laugh. As did the 2 twin cops, not the smartest men in the world. Seeing or should I say hearing Craig as the villian was intresting. The music was fantastic, sounded alot like Indy, but no surprise there. And I love how the animation was on top of real images, oh the 3D was great as well. This blew Avatar out of the water. The audience really enjoyed it.On a side note-nearbye where I was sitting I heard someone that I could tell had to have been a Tintin fan as they seem to know quite a bit.Oh the opening credits-great felt like a old fashion film with that.One of the best of the year.A

An awesome ride. I saw it in 2D and can only imagine how fantastic it was in 3D. The action/adventure aspect was superb and vintage Spielberg. Another great score by Williams and Serkis voice work as Haddock was great. The dog was hilarious and my favorite character. The story/charaters were the only thing from keeping this away from pure greatness. Still an awesome adventure that I'm guessing would have been phenomenal in 3D

A-

Visually stunning and perhaps the best score of the year. I enjoyed the movie as it reminded me a lot of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I did find that it went a bit fast and as Noctis said, it took a bit of the characterization out of the film, but still a very fun experience.8/10

I love how Speilberg packs so much into every shot. There's one moment- I think it was in Monaco, which was jaw-dropping- where four things were going on at once.

It could have benefited from some more Tintin and Sakharine character development, but this is a boatload of fun that looks gorgeous and captures the tone of the original comics. Andy Serkis is the heart of the movie- he's the only one given a character arc, and it works splendidly. They probably should have gone the Beginners route with Snowy and given the dog subtitles, because his role is diminished on film, but he still had some stuff to do.

B+

I want that sequel that the ending promised. It's looking at 325m or so worldwide, so maybe we'll get one.