Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Just now, Jonwo said:

If I were to guess, I think a lot of kid content probably will be shared or co-produced with Cartoon Network like the upcoming Tiny Toons or BatWheels but no exclusive kids content on the HBO Discovery streamer.

I don't think WBD are along in cutting kids content, Netflix has done the same and Amazon haven't really produced any new kids content, it's just Disney+ and Paramount+

Just the 2 fastest growing streamers right now, getting rid of children's shows/movies seems like not a great move long term.  Also Netflix isn't really getting out of children's animation as they are set to acquire Animal Logic, they are just shifting more to animated films which have generally performed better for them and are going to rely on third party shows like Boss Baby, Cocomelon etc. 

source for Animal Logic: https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-acquisition-animal-logic

Honestly I think copying Marvel, even if it stumbled previously, makes a good amount of sense. The way the MCU is run is far from perfect, but fans are still "forced" (yes I know some people don’t watch every movie) to see movies and characters they may not care about to follow what’s going on and there’s all these fun and exciting teases for the big crossover event that gets you invested in the whole piece, even when there is a crummy film here and there. People love crossovers and characters popping up in cameos and stuff (Smash Bros. and Multiversus show that). It can be annoying and cynical for sure, especially with the Disney+ shows now part of the homework and the MCU’s recent hiccups with their movies, but it clearly works.

Now, each DC character/franchise basically has their own little universe, which in turn means their own fanbase. Which is kind of true of the MCU granted, but the broad DCEU fandom that watches everything isn’t really that potent and I don’t really see much of an intersection from fanbase to fanbase. I’m not saying they have to restore the Snyderverse or whatever, and standalone stuff like Joker obviously works, but there’s also demand and interest in seeing  shared universes that feel like a universe and have characters crossover and pop up during certain adventures. So DC going stand-alone with their characters, putting them in their own little sandboxes, and not having something exciting to build up towards feels like a huge missed opportunity they are wasting on.

It says a lot that during the Black Adam Comic-Con panel, there was way more excitement over the idea of Henry Cavill appearing as Superman in the Black Adam movie than anything that was revealed in the Black Adam movie itself. And I don’t think this is just a “Twitter bubble” or “Snyder cult” thing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Potiki said:

Just the 2 fastest growing streamers right now, getting rid of children's shows/movies seems like not a great move long term.  Also Netflix isn't really getting out of children's animation as they are set to acquire Animal Logic, they are just shifting more to animated films which have generally performed better for them and are going to rely on third party shows like Boss Baby, Cocomelon etc. 

source for Animal Logic: https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-acquisition-animal-logic

True Paramount did rather well this quarter. I think though that Nick and Disney are just far larger draws than CN. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Does anyone else think it’s weird that Zaslav apparently wants WB to be more like Disney, but he’s trying to cut back on the children’s content? 

They're cutting TV series and family shows on HBO Max. The Little Ellen cancellation does make sense given the main Ellen show has ended and she's not exactly beloved as she once was. 

My guess is that they're going to back to what WB was doing before and essentially managing the library of characters. 

Tbh it just sounds like they're only going to make DC movies they think will make a billion dollars, and then predictably have panic attacks if/when that doesn't pan out in the long term.

So basically the same mistake they made when they started the DCEU.

• Like 1

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

True Paramount did rather well this quarter. I think though that Nick and Disney are just far larger draws than CN. 

That is probably true in modern times, only CN show my younger sister and brother (both under 10) is Teen Titans Go and they watch that on YouTube for the most part.

Just now, Noctis said:

Just give me proper Wizarding World content. That universe in the right hands has insane potential.

Said hands being anyone but Rowling's... And then the question is just how much can they cut her out at this point? 

4 minutes ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

Honestly I think copying Marvel, even if it stumbled previously, makes a good amount of sense. The way the MCU is run is far from perfect, but fans are still "forced" (yes I know some people don’t watch every movie) to see movies and characters they may not care about to follow what’s going on and there’s all these fun and exciting teases for the big crossover event that gets you invested in the whole piece, even when there is a crummy film here and there. People love crossovers and characters popping up in cameos and stuff (Smash Bros. and Multiversus show that). It can be annoying and cynical for sure, especially with the Disney+ shows now part of the homework and the MCU’s recent hiccups with their movies, but it clearly works.

Now, each DC character/franchise basically has their own little universe, which in turn means their own fanbase. Which is kind of true of the MCU granted, but the broad DCEU fandom that watches everything isn’t really that potent and I don’t really see much of an intersection from fanbase to fanbase. I’m not saying they have to restore the Snyderverse or whatever, and standalone stuff like Joker obviously works, but there’s also demand and interest in seeing  shared universes that feel like a universe and have characters crossover and pop up during certain adventures. So DC going stand-alone with their characters, putting them in their own little sandboxes, and not having something exciting to build up towards feels like a huge missed opportunity they are wasting on.

It says a lot that during the Black Adam Comic-Con panel, there was way more excitement over the idea of Henry Cavill appearing as Superman in the Black Adam movie than anything that was revealed in the Black Adam movie itself. And I don’t think this is just a “Twitter bubble” or “Snyder cult” thing.

I agree, I just hope they keep the distinct styles/tones that each film has versus a totally homogenous cinematic universe. Because the varying styles of the DCEU is one of the few things they got going for them!

• Like 1

• Zas wants HBO Max to broader which is good
  • Immediately mentions wanting it to broader via Discovery content which is bad.
  • HBO and Max originals are the centrepiece of the combined service
  • HBO and Max content will keep growing with increased spend.
Edited by AJG
  • Like 1