Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

The Flash is clearly a movie that needs to be released Ezra Miller controversy be damned, so I laughed my ass of when he was talking about we have to protect the legacy of DC and it's characters. Yeah and the way to do that is have a psychopath who is literally running from police as we speak as the titular character of the film and promotion for the film.

Sounds like a smart move.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That Gumball revival is most definitely dead. So are Coyote vs ACME and that Craig of the Creek preschool spinoff (the main show will likely be sunsetted in a couple of years). That Venture Bros movie is probably toast too. My condolences to all these fandoms and the respective crews of these properties.

Powerpuff Girls and Foster Home for Imaginary Friends revivals too

re: the whole 10 year plan thing and about the gamble Marvel took.

People shit on Scott Mendelson quite a bit.  And, to be fair, he makes it exceedingly easy.

But every once in a while, he says something worth listening to. And this was one such thing a few months back:

In the article he surmises that one of the reasons why the MCU took off like it did was... The GA just liked the characters/actors involved.:

Hollywood (or the investor and pundit class) lost sight of the notion that there was more than one way to build a blockbuster. We/they ignored the sky-high successes of the Fast and the Furious and Jurassic franchises and pretended that the only thing that mattered was cinematic universes and/or a superhero continuity. Alas, audiences didn’t want superhero franchises based on characters they had never heard of. They didn’t want existing IP pretzeled into cinematic universes. They just really liked Iron Man, Thor and Captain America and loved The Avengers. They loved the witty Joss Whedon character interaction (especially the bromance between Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark and Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner) and they loved the idea of these established cinematic superheroes teaming up to save the world from aliens in a battle royale that played like a wish-fulfillment reimagining of the 9/11 attacks.

And, to be fair to the legion of Mendelson critics, he says some... questionable things in this article as well, so no need to point it out. 

But I'm still drawing attention to it because I think it talks about one of the foundational pieces of the MCU that far too many folks ignore [both in and out of Hollywood]: Make films that the GA wants to see and then connect to them to each other.  Don't think that all folks want is a 10 year story told over 25 parts.

I get that Long Form Storytelling is the it craze (and has been for quite a while now).  Problem is... It kinda pre-supposes folks give a shit about the story you're telling in the first place.  The single biggest danger in Long Form Storytelling is if folks tune out early in the process before they get a chance to be invested. Putting in the hard work before going to the big payoffs is also part of "the formula".   But creating characters (and stories) that the GA just wants to see? 

If you don't do that, nothing else really matters.

• Like 8

This seems like a poorly organized move on so many levels, but honestly, as someone who barely watches new streaming shows (literally the only new shows I watch atm are from linear HBO), I'm ok with subscribing to the new service as long as it carries over the same backlog as HBO Max currently does. Like I just need WB movie backlog, TCM, Ghibli and the pre-2015 Cartoon Network stuff. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This seems like a poorly organized move on so many levels, but honestly, as someone who barely watches new streaming shows (literally the only new shows I watch atm are from linear HBO), I'm ok with subscribing to the new service as long as it carries over the same backlog as HBO Max currently does. Like I just need WB movie backlog, TCM, Ghibli and the pre-2015 Cartoon Network stuff. 

Pretty much same, I keep waiting to see some disastrous news but it seems like the content I subscribe for is still gonna be there so... whatever

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The Flash is clearly a movie that needs to be released Ezra Miller controversy be damned, so I laughed my ass of when he was talking about we have to protect the legacy of DC and it's characters. Yeah and the way to do that is have a psychopath who is literally running from police as we speak as the titular character of the film and promotion for the film.

ANybody who thinks "THe FLash" is not going to be released is silly.

Warners has too much invested in it .They really have no choice but to roll the die hope for the best.

'But that apparently reshoots are necessary could get interesting ; I can see Warners trying to figure out a way to do them without having Miller actually show up for obvioius reasons.

One reason why Warners is being so quiet about Miller is their legal team has told them they really don't want to do anything that could get them involved with Miller legal mess and best way to do that is to just keep their mouth's shut.

And I would hate to be the guy stuck with marketing this film......that would be the PR job from hell.

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

TBF that's something that DC uses to their advantage even in comics which don't really see with Marvel. Most of DC's critically acclaimed work has been alternate one shot takes on their characters like The Dark Knight Returns as well as original concepts like Watchmen.

The MCU is great but they can't really play around with their characters and do different spins which are more grounded in reality like Joker or The Batman.

I suppose that Batman is the only mainstream superhero who really lends himself well to that approach (which is ironic, because Spider-Man is the one who always has the multiverse adventures), since he’s a very versatile character who has had many wildly different interpretations, but it still feels like Batman overload. 

Edited by WittyUsername

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's simple. Nobody cares about celebrity gossip and crimes/misbehaving, unless they're a huge star like Will Smith. Most folks probably don't even know. WB knows this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Other than cancelling the 'Batgirl' movie that nobody wanted..  what's the fuss about?  

It's a lot of Film Twitter people and blue checks being complete hypocrites, and getting silly paranoid that HBO is somehow going to go away

• Like 1