Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

You know, I've come to realize that I actually don't really understand the debt situation Warner Brothers is currently in, like how did it actually happen? I'm definitely no business/economics expert, so could somebody here explain to me in laymen's terms the current ordeal they're in?

3 hours ago, JWR said:

Not here. The actors ain't coming back as long as Rowling is attached and Rowling has near universal control over what WB can do with her IP.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.  😁  You act as if there have never been surprising comebacks happen in Hollywood before...   I'd say this is 60/40 more likely to happen than not...but *obviously* Zaslav is going to keep trying to get the old gang back together...  Lots of money and one good PR statement from all parties involved can solve a whooooole lot of ill-will.  

Edited by Macleod

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.  😁  You act as if there have never been surprising comebacks happen in Hollywood before...   I'd say this is 60/40 more likely to happen than not...but *obviously* Zaslav is going to keep trying to get the old gang back together...  Lots of money and one good PR statement from all parties involved can solve a whooooole lot of ill-will.  

I’m not saying there’s no chance that they’ll say yes under the right circumstances, but the odds are kind of stacked against Zaslav right now. I’m not exactly surprised that he apparently wants to do a Cursed Child adaptation, but there are a lot of variable that would need to align just right for it to happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

There are a lot of stars that would have to align for it to happen, though. 

At DC, which is now being led by filmmaker James Gunn and producer Peter Safran, Zaslav said that the pair are “coming close to the end” of finishing a bible for DC (an entertainment term for a document roadmap that outlines key characters and plot points).

“I think over the next few years, you’re going to see a lot of growth and opportunity around DC, there’s not going to be four Batmans,” Zaslav said. “And so part of our strategy is drive the hell out of DC, which James and Peter are going to do. I think they’ve thrilled the fans. I think they’re going to thrill you over a period of time.”

Don't know exactly what Zasssy means by this...  🤣  ...But if he deletes ALL of Michael Keaton's appearances...I will protest, myself!!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/david-zaslav-warner-bros-discovery-james-gunn-dc-movies-roadmap-1235262032/

Edited by Macleod

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not saying there’s no chance that they’ll say yes under the right circumstances, but the odds are kind of stacked against Zaslav right now. I’m not exactly surprised that he apparently wants to do a Cursed Child adaptation, but there are a lot of variable that would need to align just right for it to happen. 

Aren't Daniel, Emma and Rupert too young for a Cursed Child adaptation, anyway? The original actors in the play were mid-40s or so. And WB should really make something else, the appeal of The Cursed Child is in being a live magic show of sorts. The story itself is abysmal fanfic, which a movie version would make even clearer.

The main Potter actors started getting big paychecks when they were too young to blow all their money on typical celebrity excesses, plus Chris Columbus made it a point to pick kids with level-headed parents (burned by his experience with Macaulay Culkin's stage dad). So, Dan and Emma are far from broke and have continued to work as adults. Rupert, too, though he seems less harsh about JKR compared to them. I think they've all wanted to do other things as actors and the validation they've gotten from non-Potter success is something that money can't buy. Emma, I'm not even sure she wants to act anymore and she's dating Philip Green's son, so plenty of money there if hers ever runs out...

6 hours ago, clockwork said:

You know, I've come to realize that I actually don't really understand the debt situation Warner Brothers is currently in, like how did it actually happen? I'm definitely no business/economics expert, so could somebody here explain to me in laymen's terms the current ordeal they're in?

How WBD came to be was AT&T spun off Warner (which means it become a seperate company from the rest of AT&T but still owned by AT&T shareholders) it was also merged with Discovery at the same time with a split of 71% of the company owned by AT&T shareholders and 29% of the company owned by Discovery Shareholders.

As for the debt situation AT&T as part of the deal to merge Discovery with Warner was allowed to place some of their debt on the new company which is pretty much how Discovery/Zaslav “paid” for the merger.

Here is a breakdown of how much they owe as of September 30th and broken down into how much is from each part of the company (Discovery, Scripps, Warner) and when the debt is due *note that due to some of the currencies being Euros and Pounds and also the interest rate that these figures will likely change but this gives you an idea of how much they owe and when:

WBD present - 2025 - $12,202,747,924

WBD 2026-2030 - $10,503,446,000

WBD 2031 onwards - $26,937,902,000

Broken up into:

Discovery present - 2025 - $3,147,971,000

Discovery 2026-2030 - $4,731,220,000

Discovery 2031 onwards - $6,745,121,000

--

Scripps present - 2025 - $23,408,000

--

Legacy Warner  present - 2025 - $531,368,924

Legacy Warner  2026-2030 - $272,226,000

Legacy Warner 2031 onwards - $692,781,000

--

Warner Holdings  present - 2025 -$8,500,000,000

Warner Holdings  2026-2030 - $5,500,000,000

Warner Holdings  2031 onwards - $19,500,000,000

Source: https://s201.q4cdn.com/336605034/files/doc_financials/2022/q3/WBD-Outstanding-Debt-as-of-Sept-30-2022-for-website.pdf

source in image form:

Screen-Shot-2022-11-16-at-9-13-13-AM.png

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

I can guarantee you that Daniel and Emma will never work with JK again. 0 chance.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I can guarantee you that Daniel and Emma will never work with JK again. 0 chance.

Who says they have to work together? 😁 There are bands that make albums these days on different continents, sometimes they never step into the same studio together...  I could see Rowling taking a paycheck and agreeing to sit back.  But they obviously need these folks on screen if they ever want to do this again.  I'm sure Warners will continue trying every which way to make it happen... but obviously they will be pursuing *something* else in the Potterverse regardless.  

Edited by Macleod

7 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I feel like the Marauders prequel is the correct way to go. Still has the Hogwarts link, obviously close link to Harry, many of the HP characters like Sirius, Lupin and Snape are in it so there's familiarity. 

Maybe a TV show, but I'm not so sure about a movie.

• Like 1

Is J.K. Rowling’s ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Franchise Dead at Warner Bros?

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/fantastic-beasts-fourth-fifth-movies-franchise-harry-potter-jk-rowling-1235432523/

Biggest non-surprise of the year, of course...

Obviously Zassy would like nothing more than a pure Potter return...  

Edited by Macleod

5 minutes ago, Macleod said:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/fantastic-beasts-fourth-fifth-movies-franchise-harry-potter-jk-rowling-1235432523/

Easier said than done...

24 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Which is crazy because then you're just making the universe smaller, when Zaslav's intent seems to be to grow these franchises.

The problem with Fantastic Beasts was the execution, not the idea.

• Like 3