Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

13 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Guess that’s that. David Ayer has moved on. Probably a good idea. Might as well focus on trying to rebuild his career. 

This goes to show just how fortunate the Snyder Cut was to have been greenlit when it did. It's a streaming gold rush baby in every sense of the word, completed for the sake of having easy and attractive content for Max back when they couldn't film anything new on a major scale, and approved by suits who were willing to make an entire year's worth of blockbusters go day and date. Without a lucrative environment and a lax regime like that, Ayer's original cut never stood a chance. DC refocusing on a singular shared universe instead of Hamada's multiverse plans would be another big hurdle. I would still like to see it even if I don't see a good movie in the first Suicide Squad like I did in Justice League, but I highly doubt it'll ever happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alexander said:

It's possible Casey Bloys is not interested so if MAX don't want Ayer's cut then what. Or it would cost too much. Or they don't think it's any good and would only hurt DC brand more.

I’m pretty sure Casey Bloys didn’t want the Snyder Cut to be a thing either. He and the rest of WB were just forced to go with it because their higher ups at AT&T had final say in the matter. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So James Gunn lied to him?

simplest reading remains that directors cuts are seen as a positive good in and of themselves but it's subordinate to larger corporate strategy concerns.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m pretty sure Casey Bloys didn’t want the Snyder Cut to be a thing either. He and the rest of WB were just forced to go with it because their higher ups at AT&T had final say in the matter. 

I thought the post-release reporting fingered Killar as a real booster of this idea. Wouldn't Bloys be outside of the chain of command for this decision? It's paid for by "Max" and he runs "HBO."  

7 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I thought the post-release reporting fingered Killar as a real booster of this idea. Wouldn't Bloys be outside of the chain of command for this decision? It's paid for by "Max" and he runs "HBO."  

I thought Bloys was in charge of both HBO and HBO Max?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

simplest reading remains that directors cuts are seen as a positive good in and of themselves but it's subordinate to larger corporate strategy concerns.

All I know is that Toby Emmerich definitely didn’t like Snyder, and if it were up to him, the Snyder Cut never would’ve seen the light of day. The AT&T higher ups were the reason for its existence. 

1 hour ago, dallas said:

I thought Bloys was in charge of both HBO and HBO Max?

He is right now but I thought that wasn't how it initially launched. Looks like "Kevin Reilly" was head of Max content until August 2020 and Bloys absorbed it after an exec mass firing (thus after these decisions were made). 

https://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-max-kevin-reilly-interview-dc-snyder-cut-harry-potter-2020-5?op=1

But it's also a genuine question. I don't have a great sense of how the WB sausage was made and it's been 2 years since I read those deep dives into snyder cut history various outlets published.

7 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Good Lord give me a break

i say that lot when dealing with the Snyderverse fans.

In the end, Ayer does not own the movie, Warners does, because of the simple fact they paid for it.

I guess they thought they got lucky with the Snydercut of JL, but do not want to push their luck.

• Like 1