Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

Dune was one of the absolute most PLF-skewing films. That's like saying it wouldn't have made much of a difference if Oppenheimer didn't have IMAX.

It may not be the case for every film, but the IMAX exclusive is a big fucking deal here, and even if it moves WB will almost certainly try to move it to a window where they can get that.

I think Furiosa's current slot would work best because there isn't any competition for IMAX for a while. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

No, it really isn't.

One of the bigger problems in Hollywood the last 10 to 20 years is rushing out films before they are ready.  Not gonna tag Tele (as I doubt he wants to be tagged into this thread), but he is right on when he complains about films locking in dates years in advance.

The more I think about it and the more I observe substandard or mediocre films/shows that needed more baking in the oven the more I am convinced that Hollywood's obsession with locking in calendar dates is one of the bigger drivers of current dissatisfaction.

Everything from sloppy VFX to half-baked plots to bloated, ballooned, budgets can be laid at least in part at the feet of rushing out films/shows to meet arbitrary deadlines.

Plotting/scripting should be an obvious one so I won't spend time on it.  VFX is slightly more obvious if one takes into consideration  if outfits are being told to do six to nine months worth of work in three to six.  Budgets are a less obvious one, but they too can balloon thanks in part to corps "throwing money at the problem" in an attempt to get the project out the door on time (even as they overwork the folks who are on the project).  The irony, of course, is that people will look at the bottom line budget and wonder "well what the hell did they spend it on?"

Of course not nearly everything can be laid at the feet of calendar setting when it comes to projects that aren't at the level they should be (once again, making art of any sort is ***HARD***). Not by a long shot. But it sure isn't helping matters.

tl;dr:  Stop obsessing about calendar dates and start obsessing about only putting out projects when they're ready for primetime.

I'll add onto this: Don't feel the need to inundate your audience with content. I get striking while the iron is hot, but every now and then, it helps when people have had time to miss a show/movie, so that there's more anticipation when the next one comes out. When your creators have time to fully commit to a project, it's more likely that the thing will turn out well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JWR said:

I'll add onto this: Don't feel the need to inundate your audience with content. I get striking while the iron is hot, but every now and then, it helps when people have had time to miss a show/movie, so that there's more anticipation when the next one comes out. When your creators have time to fully commit to a project, it's more likely that the thing will turn out well. 

The more you rush, the mor chances you have of messing up.

There is a lot of truth to that old Hollywood saying,  "Do you want it fast, or do you want it good?".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

The more you rush, the mor chances you have of messing up.

There is a lot of truth to that old Hollywood saying,  "Do you want it fast, or do you want it good?".

Sometimes working fast and spotaneous makes the best product.  

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This is good marketing for the sequel.

That was my first thought as well. :lol: If you're banned from promoting the new movie, come up with a lawsuit conveniently timed with the sequel's arrival so that the media will automatically draw the connection and you won't be breaking any strike rules (and drop it once the movie is out)! Brilliant, I must say.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That was my first thought as well. :lol: If you're banned from promoting the new movie, come up with a lawsuit conveniently timed with the sequel's arrival so that the media will automatically draw the connection and you won't be breaking any strike rules (and drop it once the movie is out)! Brilliant, I must say.

If this is true then Bonnie is a genius. 

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Given how that tweet has 85 likes, I wouldn't say it's working.