Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Ironically the merger likely failed because Paramount and WB have little to offer each other as corpos other than mountains of more debt to the merged entity. 

If WB could get certain properties off Paramount for cheap it might be different but they're not selling assets.

56 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Rooster Teeth is getting shut down apparently. 

The fact they were dragging that husk around for as long as they did was actually admirable. Gone to the grave with Machinima, CollegeHumor, Epic Meal Time, and FunnyorDie.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Ironically the merger likely failed because Paramount and WB have little to offer each other as corpos other than mountains of more debt to the merged entity. 

If WB could get certain properties off Paramount for cheap it might be different but they're not selling assets.

I also wonder if Warners just did not have the cash to make the deal work, or if making it would have forced WB to take on more debt, which it does not want to do right now.

Edited by dudalb

Aquaman 2 seems to have broken even. better then losing money, but then studios do not spend 200 Million on a movie to just break even. That is not a win for them.

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Aquaman 2 seems to have broken even. better then losing money, but then studios do not spend 200 Million on a movie to just break even. That is not a win for them.

Yeah the only 2023 CBM that will make a rock solid amount of profit is ATSV. Yes even GOTG 3 because it's basically just Love and Thunder + $20M revenue from China, and LaT did $103M in profit so GOTG 3 will probably come up to a little above $100M. Good but underwhelming considering how much it could've done in May 2022, 

3 hours ago, AJG said:

The fact they were dragging that husk around for as long as they did was actually admirable. Gone to the grave with Machinima, CollegeHumor, Epic Meal Time, and FunnyorDie.

Channel Awesome still going strong.

Common Doug Walker W. 

• Like 1

Gadot's Wonder Woman and Momoa's Aquabro are just remarkable missed potential. Audiences responded very well to both of those actor-characters and WB completely belly flopped with their sequels. WW84 should have been out July 2019 and Aquabro 2 the 2021 Christmas tent pole. Aqua2  making the money it did under those conditions is a testament to what it could/should have been. 

• Like 1

Since I’m a big fan of discussing what-if scenarios, does anyone suppose the DCU would’ve been better off if the Matt Reeves Batman was the starting point for it, and that everything before it was wiped completely clean, including TSS and Peacemaker? 

I’m not necessarily saying I would’ve wanted it to be that way. I’ve said before that I’d rather they not bother with a new DCU at this stage, but would such an approach have been the ideal scenario? 

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Since I’m a big fan of discussing what-if scenarios, does anyone suppose the DCU would’ve been better off if the Matt Reeves Batman was the starting point for it, and that everything before it was wiped completely clean, including TSS and Peacemaker? 

I’m not necessarily saying I would’ve wanted it to be that way. I’ve said before that I’d rather they not bother with a new DCU at this stage, but would such an approach have been the ideal scenario? 

No

Leave The Batman alone 😅

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

No

Leave The Batman alone 😅

Problem is that they’ll be taking a big risk by having two concurrent Batman film series going side by side, and that’s not counting the Todd Phillips Joker movies. This is precisely the kind of thing that led to WB canceling that George Miller Justice League movie back in the day. They’re essentially competing with themselves. They’ll need to tread very carefully. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Problem is that they’ll be taking a big risk by having two concurrent Batman film series going side by side, and that’s not counting the Todd Phillips Joker movies. This is precisely the kind of thing that led to WB canceling that George Miller Justice League movie back in the day. They’re essentially competing with themselves. They’ll need to tread very carefully. 

I suspect there will be a battle between Reeves and Gunn to see which version of Batman will stay. If Superman is successful enough for them to have complete confidence in the future of the DCU I think they’ll end the Battinson universe. That’s just what I think they’ll do.

• Like 1

It seems likely that Reeves and Pattinson want to do a trilogy and then be done. I don't get the impression that Pattinson is dying to be a major part of a cinematic universe. If Part 2 does well, they'll get Part 3, and I don't think Gunn will override that. Gunn would be wiser to leave Batman on the bench in his universe until Reeves finishes his trilogy.

Paramount and WBD never made sense as a merger because both make a ton of their money from linear TV which is a dying business. WBD taking on even more linear channels would be pretty dumb at this point. The primary issue that both face now is that they don't have other major businesses like Disney and Universal do (theme parks, cruise ships, internet, etc.) that can continue to grow and help offset the continued decline of linear. The Disney and Fox merger also showed that there are limits to the benefits of absorbing another big studio even if you do gain a lot of valuable IP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

It seems likely that Reeves and Pattinson want to do a trilogy and then be done. I don't get the impression that Pattinson is dying to be a major part of a cinematic universe. If Part 2 does well, they'll get Part 3, and I don't think Gunn will override that. Gunn would be wiser to leave Batman on the bench in his universe until Reeves finishes his trilogy.

Paramount and WBD never made sense as a merger because both make a ton of their money from linear TV which is a dying business. WBD taking on even more linear channels would be pretty dumb at this point. The primary issue that both face now is that they don't have other major businesses like Disney and Universal do (theme parks, cruise ships, internet, etc.) that can continue to grow and help offset the continued decline of linear. The Disney and Fox merger also showed that there are limits to the benefits of absorbing another big studio even if you do gain a lot of valuable IP.

Definitely let Reeves do the trilogy and I am with you on DCU holding back on Batman until then unless its a team up movie. 

But Battinson seems passionate about it. How about him playing DCU version as well. It need not be the same as Reeves verse. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

But Battinson seems passionate about it. How about him playing DCU version as well. It need not be the same as Reeves verse. 

If he wants to do it then I'm all for it. I won't claim I've followed his interviews on this character super closely, but I get the impression he's passionate about Batman in the context of auteur driven films. I get the feeling he'd be less excited about trading quips with Supergirl and Swamp Thing in a big team up movie or anything like that.

• Like 1

Pattinson cited Batman as the best role he's ever taken and has expressed in the past his love for the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. I wouldn't write off the possibility of him playing the DCU's Batman. 

2 hours ago, dallas said:

Pattinson cited Batman as the best role he's ever taken and has expressed in the past his love for the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. I wouldn't write off the possibility of him playing the DCU's Batman. 

Just wondering what does this have to do with Battinson being in the DCU

37 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Just wondering what does this have to do with Battinson being in the DCU

Well to be more specific, Pattinson said he'd like to star in the Guardians movies, and since the guy who directed those is now running DC...

2 minutes ago, dallas said:

Well to be more specific, Pattinson said he'd like to star in the Guardians movies, and since the guy who directed those is now running DC...

Thank you, that makes sense

(and I was actually wondering so thanks for the explanation)