Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

WB seriously needs to start throwing huge mountains of cash at Gerwig/Villeneuve or their theatrical is screwed for everything but Batman 2. (which was delayed anyway, meaning they're stuck in debt city even longer...)

Greta Gerwig is seemingly going to be preoccupied with those Netflix Narnia movies, and Denis Villeneuve apparently wants to take a break from Dune. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Yeah but look at what that has done to Disney. I don't think people see streaming as "straight to video" anymore.

At least people can see the movie.

Thing is, it cost a lot of ,money go get a film in theaters. We are talking tens of millions of dollars.I can't fault a studio for not throwing away money on a film they think is doomed anyway.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Greta Gerwig is seemingly going to be preoccupied with those Netflix Narnia movies, and Denis Villeneuve apparently wants to take a break from Dune. 

I got a feeling his Cleopatra movie is what VIllaneuve really wants to do next.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:10 PM, JWR said:

Conflict of Interest...big time. What might benefit them personnally might hurt Warners Brs stockholders overall. That is the classic defination of Conlfict of Interest.

Question is why did not  the CEO see this coming and take measures before it got to the Justice Department level?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

Conflict of Interest...big time. What might benefit them personnally might hurt Warners Brs stockholders overall. That is the classic defination of Conlfict of Interest.

Question is why did not  the CEO see this coming and take measures before it got to the Justice Department level?

Because I guess Zaslav sees it as a drop in the bucket.

SInce I think the Warchoskis did not make a good Matrix film after the first, I doubt Goddard can do any better.

But Zaslev is going to try to milk every franchise WB has.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

SInce I think the Warchoskis did not make a good Matrix film after the first

You're right.  They've only made great Matrix movies after the first. 👍

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You're right.  They've only made great Matrix movies after the first. 👍

Porthos, you're the homie.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

SInce I think the Warchoskis did not make a good Matrix film after the first, I doubt Goddard can do any better.

The whole conception of cyperspace has changed significantly since the late 1990s (and the first Matrix movie really has some hints at some even older stuff floating around). There's clearly space for at least a spiritual sequel to the matrix (cyperpunk superman against the AIs) that wouldn't simply retread old ground (and Matrix 1 really is a different movie than Matrix 2/3).

Heck, there's a funhouse mirror way in which you can imagine retooling inception to have it read as in conversation with the matrix.

Matrix 4 was a matrix movie about making matrix movies which isn't really the same thing. Best case scenario is the IP is just used as a skinsuit to make an interesting movie in a vaguely similar setting. I'm not holding out hope but there's a clear case for a Matrix reboot in a way that's not true of say another Terminator or Alien film. 

Regardless of whatever shortcomings the Wachowskis have as filmmakers, they were the ones who gave the Matrix movies a distinct identity, warts and all. Take them out of the equation and I don’t really see how the Matrix franchise is supposed to stand out from all the other sci-stories that involve virtual reality and humans fighting machines. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Regardless of whatever shortcomings the Wachowskis have as filmmakers, they were the ones who gave the Matrix movies a distinct identity, warts and all. Take them out of the equation and I don’t really see how the Matrix franchise is supposed to stand out from all the other sci-stories that involve virtual reality and humans fighting machines. 

It's so intrinsically tied to their DNA and life experiences, I can't see it working with anyone else. I saw idiots on twitter point to Animatrix as an example of how Matrix can still be good without the Wachowskis and uh....they wrote and produced that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if the plan is to bring Fishburne and Weaving back (since Keanu probably won't even be asked to return). Use up the few remaining potential nostalgia cards the franchise has left.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

They were 1 out of 4 in terms of delivery. A fresh perspective is a great idea at this point.