CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

To be fair, Peabody was a pretty wacky short on Rocky and Bullwinkle.

This will be great, and although I'm glad they dropped the near-blasphemous "by Schulz" title (because irregardless that's kind of messed up seeing how long he's been deceased), I'm not 100% on the new title. "Peanuts" IMO would be fine.

But it's really a pointless nitpick.

The original Peabody wasn't "wacky" in the way the trailers for the movie looked to me. It seems like the people who adapt the Jay Ward stuff mistakenly assume that the Jay Ward humor was wacky for wacky's sake.

It's like how fairy-tale parodies like Shrek try to crib off Fractured Fairy Tales, but often replace the witty satire of Ward's stuff with mean-spirited contempt.

But I digress. None of that has to do with Peanuts.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

I don't get why some people are predicting 200M, 250M or whatever for this movie. It is relying on nostalgia, but its main demographic has never heard of Peanuts. And the animation is unimaginative, not the style that really appeals to kids above the age of 8.

• Like 1

I don't get why some people are predicting 200M, 250M or whatever for this movie. It is relying on nostalgia, but its main demographic has never heard of Peanuts. And the animation is unimaginative, not the style that really appeals to kids above the age of 8.

But it's the first major kids movie since September 25th. Goosebumps has two weeks to be relevant and it will be close to a PG-13 IMO. 

I'm pretty confident this will be G-rated, since Rio 1-2 and Horton were all by the same studio. They got a G, so Peanuts should as well.

I'm thinking $150-175 million. Nostalgia will push this through the holiday season. 

Do you mean domestic or worldwide since peanuts is a very popular brand.

You are talking about the same young people who play Minecraft.    Animation style is not relevant if the movie is entertaining.    I frankly don't know how a person gets through life without knowing about Snoopy to be honest.   He shows up in commercials, toys, greeting cards, blimps....and they still show the holiday specials every year in the US.    They didn't skip any generations on that.

Story is actually my worry.   I'm a fan of the original animation...but this updated animation won't bother me a bit if the movie is good.    I'm most worried that this isn't written by Schultz.    The trailer I saw resorted to Homer Simpson type of humor (Charlie Brown stupidly bumbles into the theater so Lucy can call him a blockhead).    I hope the writing is better than that.

I don't think 200m is very likely...more like 150m.

Edited by Harpospoke
  • Like 5

The animation looks beautiful, and this is a very well known property to all ages. Peanuts specials air on network TV around the holidays every year, and the iconic "Charlie Brown tree" is a popular Xmas decor item.