CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

I don't get why some people are predicting 200M, 250M or whatever for this movie. It is relying on nostalgia, but its main demographic has never heard of Peanuts. And the animation is unimaginative, not the style that really appeals to kids above the age of 8.

Unimaginative? The settings and characters look just like the comic strip panels brought into the 3D world. Blue Sky is capturing it perfectly. Kids hadnt heard of Big Hero 6 either, and Lego relied on brand namemore than anything else, and we saw how that went. That excuse is tired.

Nostalgia will be a plus, but theyre not relying on it for this to sell, even though Snoopy is a worldwide mascot, and Charlie Brown specials are still in rotation. $250 may be a stretch, but $200 is still on the table, imo, even with TGD. Will depend on reception and what kind of adventure this is.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

Wow, y'know for a franchise that actually had traditionally animated features in the 60s and 70s where actual exciting things happen (at least, for Peanuts characters), this is super mundane. Animation is fantastically done and I'm sure it'll do well due to nostalgia, but otherwise this looks like another recycled boring project. The trailer even says, "from the imagination of Charles Schulz". If this is new material, then that's incredibly insulting. If it's actually material that he used in his comics, then wow that's boring.

And for those wanting to backlash with, "Well at least there are no obnoxious pop culture references!"... the Schulz family is farily strict with their IP and how its portrayed (unlike Audrey Geisel who is surprisingly more lenient than she should be), so that movie would have never been made in the first place.

• Like 1

Awesome! The baseball bit was my favorite part, straight from the specials and comic. I love the animation style. People are automatically pulling in favor of TGD, but this will definately give it some stiff competition. November will be good.

Wow, y'know for a franchise that actually had traditionally animated features in the 60s and 70s where actual exciting things happen (at least, for Peanuts characters), this is super mundane. Animation is fantastically done and I'm sure it'll do well due to nostalgia, but otherwise this looks like another recycled boring project. The trailer even says, "from the imagination of Charles Schulz". If this is new material, then that's incredibly insulting. If it's actually material that he used in his comics, then wow that's boring.

And for those wanting to backlash with, "Well at least there are no obnoxious pop culture references!"... the Schulz family is farily strict with their IP and how its portrayed (unlike Audrey Geisel who is surprisingly more lenient than she should be), so that movie would have never been made in the first place.

His son is the executive producer and grandson wrote the screenplay.
  • Like 1

This trailer looks fun. Inside Out just kinda seems like one of those "adults will love it and force it on their children" kinda movies. This actually looks fun and funny, with a lot of heart.

This looks cute, if rather unnecessary (although that should probably count as high praise considering a Peanuts movie in 2015 had all the makings of an abomination on paper). Major props to them for casting actual child voice actors in the roles instead of going the cheap route of getting big names or TV stars to sound as juvenile as possible.

This trailer looks fun. Inside Out just kinda seems like one of those "adults will love it and force it on their children" kinda movies. This actually looks fun and funny, with a lot of heart.
Is it like a rule that you have to take a cheap shot at Pixar in every thread for an animated movie not by Pixar? I swear, whatever excitement I may feel for a movie like this is severely hampered by the way people prop it up as a "real" kids movie the same way Sarah Palin uses "real" Americans Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

His son is the executive producer and grandson wrote the screenplay.

And both of them are not Charles Schulz.

I don't have a problem with how the characters are being treated, but it does look awfully dull for a franchise that has been so tightly squeezed out over decades and decades.

• Like 1

Nostaliga has been such a huge theme this year with JW and Spongebob which makes me think this could break out big.

Spongebob is not nostalgic. He's 16 years old and is still the #1 cartoon on cable. People here just underestimated Spongebob because they don't watch the show anymore and thought the trailers looked stupid. Spongebob didn't bring as many old fans back as youd expect imo, but he's spanned 2 generations now, and unlike many cartoons, he was able to get even more popular with that next generation, so it somewhat balances out.

• Like 1