Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

On November 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Joel M said:

The budget is def too high, but it can still be profitable. I think Fury Road numbers are achievable for this if everything goes right (good reviews, good marketing etc). 

Here in Greece the original BR is closer to mainstream classic status than cult, but that may be due to the Vangelis connection

Hail the amazing Greek!

Iconic.

:worthy: 

This and Alien trailer in the same week! Damn. 

Funny thing is that the trailer will be out before Alien's, which releases 5 months earlier.

This movie needs very good marketing to become a hit because no one was really asking for a sequel of a 20+ year old film. Bo record for such sequels is really bad. Tron Legacy numbers would be very good for this.

8 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

This and Alien trailer in the same week! Damn. 

Funny thing is that the trailer will be out before Alien's, which releases 5 months earlier.

This movie needs very good marketing to become a hit because no one was really asking for a sequel of a 20+ year old film. Bo record for such sequels is really bad. Tron Legacy numbers would be very good for this.

"This movie needs very good marketing to become a hit because no one was really asking for a sequel of a 20+ year old film. Bo record for such sequels is really bad. Tron Legacy numbers would be very good for this."    Mad Max : Fury Road proves that if it is a competent film, things will be fine even though the last entry of the franchise was already exactly 30 years ago. 

30 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

"This movie needs very good marketing to become a hit because no one was really asking for a sequel of a 20+ year old film. Bo record for such sequels is really bad. Tron Legacy numbers would be very good for this."    Mad Max : Fury Road proves that if it is a competent film, things will be fine even though the last entry of the franchise was already exactly 30 years ago. 

Mad Max did less than tron legacy both domestically and worldwide. It wasn't a boxoffice hit because the budget was 150M and had a hefty marketing campaign. For a movie that had so much buzz and positive reviews, it didn't set the boxoffice on fire. 

That is exactly what I am expecting from Blade Runner 2049.

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Mad Max did less than tron legacy both domestically and worldwide. It wasn't a boxoffice hit because the budget was 150M and had a hefty marketing campaign. For a movie that had so much buzz and positive reviews, it didn't set the boxoffice on fire. 

Based on the loonie raving about Fury Road's box office here I had assumed that it made much more than it did. 

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Personally, I'd say Mad Max Fury Rd is a much more successful movie in terms of its capacity to it re-invent the franchise for modern audience and to stand on its own.

Tron Legacy has impressive visuals and a classic score by Daft Punk, and Disney is really pushing this as a cry of protest to the Matrix fans: "We did it first!" but the movie is lacking - I don't know - an organic sense of urgency & energy, characters have no stake. Jeff Bridges should kick ass, Olivia Wilde is pretty & Hedlund is just lucky. 

Blade Runner 2049 will not be a gigantic hit. Look at Villeneuve's resume: he made sombre, serious movies populated with tortured characters.

Edited by zackzack

It's fascinating how Tron: Legacy outgrossed Mad Max: Fury Road domestically and overseas, and yet it is Miller's opus which most people consider a success. However, it is pretty simple: Fury Road  was the [infinitely] better movie. MM:FR was a vertiginously intense masterpiece that comprised action spectacle, narrative gravitas, and keen observations about gender norms, power structures, and fear. It is exquisitely crafted (and thoroughly memorable) movie mayhem that also has a brain, and its characters are vividly realized, in spite of the fact that they barely say anything. Tron: Legacy is...a cool-looking sequel that you forget two minutes after watching it. The critical response to both films accurately reflects how truly successful they were (beyond a mere assessment of their box office results). I totally believe that, box-office-wise, a sequel for Fury Road would do a The Dark Knight/Austin Powers:The Spy Who Shagged Me on us, while a Tron 3 would be utterly ignored.

• Like 1