Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

well I think we can officially call this a bomb

I was hoping it will open big enough to at least do decent relative to the budget, but after that OW it was dead and buried.

I'm not on the MAHSTAPIECE!!! train and I need to rewatch it, but I'm glad all the money people involved miscalculated so much its appeal and we got the huge budget version of this. 

• Like 1

In hindsight it's not so illogical but it is kind of surprising that this will likely end up grossing much less than Arrival.

But a movie being well received really does go a long way toward relieving the pain of being a bomb. So there won't be any fast-tracked third movie. Villeneuve will still be a well respected filmmaker and already has a lot of new offers on the table.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

But a movie being well received really does go a long way toward relieving the pain of being a bomb. So there won't be any fast-tracked third movie. Villeneuve will still be a well respected filmmaker and already has a lot of new offers on the table.

It will probably be the rare mega flop that will not hurt at all any of the creative people involved, it might even look good on their resume a few years later. Similar to Scorsese's Hugo minus the oscar glory.

Alcon though:apocalypse:

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Denis refused to play the game, he is responsible for this debacle IMO.

What exactly is the game that he refused to play? 

The movie got great marketing, great pre-release hype, great reviews, it was positioned by the studio as the BIG movie of October, it even got the snooty "no one should touch the holy cow that is Blade Runner" fans on board.

It was released under the most ideal circumstances imaginable and still played in half empty theatres from the get go. To me that clearly vindicates the people who were saying all along in this thread that this didn't have enough appeal to be a 150m movie released in 4000+ theatres. Does anyone really believes that it would magically grow monster legs after that kind of OW if it was half hour shorter or lighter or more action packed?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Joel M said:

What exactly is the game that he refused to play? 

The movie got great marketing, great pre-release hype, great reviews, it was positioned by the studio as the BIG movie of October, it even got the snooty "no one should touch the holy cow that is Blade Runner" fans on board.

It was released under the most ideal circumstances imaginable and still played in half empty theatres from the get go. To me that clearly vindicates the people who were saying all along in this thread that this didn't have enough appeal to be a 150m movie released in 4000+ theatres. Does anyone really believes that it would magically grow monster legs after that kind of OW if it was half hour shorter or lighter or more action packed?

Maybe.

25 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh? What game?

The

" I am making a 150m+ movie for global audiences" game

and not the

" Fuck it, I am an Artist, my scenes will all last 3 minutes more than they need to because that s how big my Auteur s Dick is" game .

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The

" I am making a 150m+ movie for global audiences" game

and not the

" Fuck it, I am an Artist, my scenes will all last 3 minutes more than they need to because that s how big my Auteur s Dick is" game .

Fuck that "lowest common denominator" global audience that makes average, instantly forgettable flicks like Jurrasic World a huge hit and completely ignores a gem like Blade Runner 2049!

giphy.gif

• Like 5