Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If only Snowpiercer had a much bigger budget to fit the material. Think that was done outside the big six too. Could be wrong though.

Pretty sure that was basically a Korean movie.  So, yeah, you're right.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 2:36 PM, Joel M said:

It will probably be the rare mega flop that will not hurt at all any of the creative people involved, it might even look good on their resume a few years later. Similar to Scorsese's Hugo minus the oscar glory.

I think Scorsese was hurt quite a bit with Hugo, is 2 movies after that he did were complicated financial scheme outside the studios (often illegals one) and he is now on netflix.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hugo-martin-scorsese-graham-king-losses-315798

Having topped out at $181 million worldwide, the film — which reportedly cost $180 million to produce — is said to have inflicted a staggering loss on Graham King’s GK Films and, according to sources, has led to strain between the prolific British film producer and two of his longtime professional partners.

Sources in the finance community believe the red ink has caused King’s backer, 61-year-old oil billionaire Tim Headington, to re-evaluate his commitment to the partnership. 

21 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Crazy to think that such important filmmakers as Martin S and Quentin T don't really interest the big six, a true sign of times IMO.

I doubt that it is the case for Tarantino (is there ever been any indication that it was the case?), apparently after Grindhouse failed studio's started to call him a lot with projects proposition, thinking that maybe he will now be interested into making a studio movie or that he had lost the ability to make is movies, I would imagine they would all be interested to get involved in is next movie except Disney.

For Martin S, greenlight was always a bit complicated after New York, New York giant flop (and being directly blamed for it, the production being hurt by is cocaine habit), that flop and a bunch of similar giant budget auteur movie with total control (Heaven Gate, Sorcerer, etc...) around the same time Star Wars exploded changed the system a bit:

http://dorkshelf.com/2012/12/17/defending-the-indefensible-70s-auteur-flops/

After that I think that without De Niro (and DiCaprio after that) Scorsese always had to fight quite a bit in the studio system

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Probably my favorite track in the whole film. Just dripping in atmosphere.

Do you remember which part of the movie this track accompanied? I agree that it's cool. It reminds me of how some of Arrival's tracks felt.

17 hours ago, Barnack said:

I think Scorsese was hurt quite a bit with Hugo, is 2 movies after that he did were complicated financial scheme outside the studios (often illegals one) and he is now on netflix.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hugo-martin-scorsese-graham-king-losses-315798

Having topped out at $181 million worldwide, the film — which reportedly cost $180 million to produce — is said to have inflicted a staggering loss on Graham King’s GK Films and, according to sources, has led to strain between the prolific British film producer and two of his longtime professional partners.

Sources in the finance community believe the red ink has caused King’s backer, 61-year-old oil billionaire Tim Headington, to re-evaluate his commitment to the partnership. 

The producers and money men will of course get hurt, I was talking about the creative people (cast and crew) and how this movie isn't seen as a black spot in their filmography even if in financial terms at least, it was a megaflop.

Scorsese was only hurt in the sense that no one will give him again 100m+ to make a movie that doesn't have DiCaprio in it, which is fine. He probably only got that Hugo budget (or the 50m budget for a movie like Silence) because of his back-to-back hits with Leo. And WOWS had to find the budget from "intependent producers" because of its highly sexual content. If it was more violent-R rated than sex-R rated prob every studio except Disney would have greenlight it in a heartbeat.

Edited by Joel M

28 minutes ago, Joel M said:

The producers and money men will of course get hurt, I was talking about the creative people (cast and crew) and how this movie isn't seen as a black spot in their filmography even if in financial terms at least, it was a megaflop.

But it was damaging, at least if we are talking about his ability to do the movie he want to do (arguably the thing that matter the most), with the production level they think is needed for the story, I do think Scorsese was hurt by Hugo (not that he was not already on a relatively thin ice).

All speculation for sure, but it is no surprise than he ended up on Netflix or if Hugo massive failure played a role in that. It is not just about the commercial failure, but also a production that went out of hands and almost doubled is planned 100m budget, on those it is a bigger deal because it is not a risk that was initially accepted by the financier and were more blame than get put on the director.

30 minutes ago, Joel M said:

And WOWS had to find the budget from "intependent producers" because of its highly sexual content

Not sure if he had to, from what I understood of Scorsese talking about it, it is because he didn't wanted the studios to be involved in the production, they would have not let him have total creative control anymore and had no energy to fight them during the shoot (during post-production like they did being a different matter).

I think a lot of studio would have liked to be involved in it, but not without giving notes and being involved.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, slambros said:

Do you remember which part of the movie this track accompanied? I agree that it's cool. It reminds me of how some of Arrival's tracks felt.

The part where K is coming up on Wallace's building. And the scene where Wallace is examining one of the replicants.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 11:57 AM, Joel M said:

Scorsese was only hurt in the sense that no one will give him again 100m+ to make a movie that doesn't have DiCaprio in it, which is fine. He probably only got that Hugo budget (or the 50m budget for a movie like Silence) because of his back-to-back hits with Leo. And WOWS had to find the budget from "intependent producers" because of its highly sexual content. If it was more violent-R rated than sex-R rated prob every studio except Disney would have greenlight it in a heartbeat.

In all fairness, he found that 100m+ budget again, without Leo.  Granted he had to call on nearly every major actor of his past in the to do the Irishman and get Netflix to go while hog, but that shit is way over 100m.

10 hours ago, kowhite said:

In all fairness, he found that 100m+ budget again, without Leo.  Granted he had to call on nearly every major actor of his past in the to do the Irishman and get Netflix to go while hog, but that shit is way over 100m.

That kinda doesn't count though because its Netflix. That's the strategy there, throw insane amounts of money at talent without thinking how commercial the project is because apparently it doesn't matter. I was reading yesterday that Netflix's cumulative budget for original content in 2018 will be 8 billion. E-I-G-H-T B-I-L-L-I-O-N. They 're either know what they're doing or that bubble will burst eventually.

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

I was reading yesterday that Netflix's cumulative budget for original content in 2018 will be 8 billion.

Usually that number for Netflix content is all content acquisition cost, not just for original content (that is a marketing spin), at least always has been in the past.

For a reference a studio like WB in 2015:

Film and television production costs ...... $ 6,152

Print and advertising costs .............. 1,989

Other costs, including merchandise and related costs ....................... 1,278

Costs of revenues (a) .................. $ 9,419

Netflix is now spending on is content (production + acquisition), like an actual giant studio does when you include is P&A.

• Like 2