Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

Moments like these, on some ways Martin Scorsese gets it...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/martin-scorsese-rotten-tomatoes-box-office-obsession-why-mother-was-misjudged-guest-column-1047286

But in some ways he doesn't.  This movie was kinda destined to lose money.  I get the business argument, I kinda expected it.  Maybe Ilost that thought with the tracking but I'm not shocked.  But he's right in that people focus too much on the box office.  Bautista knew it, we saw a miracle.  This movie got made.  Thank you Alcon for losing money for me.  It happens.  Fuck the negativity, you made a great fucking movie.  I'm only sad cause this type of EVENT...isn't gonna happen a lot.

Unless I become a billionaire...

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, kowhite said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/martin-scorsese-rotten-tomatoes-box-office-obsession-why-mother-was-misjudged-guest-column-1047286

But in some ways he doesn't.  This movie was kinda destined to lose money.  I get the business argument, I kinda expected it.  Maybe Ilost that thought with the tracking but I'm not shocked.  But he's right in that people focus too much on the box office.  Bautista knew it, we saw a miracle.  This movie got made.  Thank you Alcon for losing money for me.  It happens.  Fuck the negativity, you made a great fucking movie.  I'm only sad cause this type of EVENT...isn't gonna happen a lot.

You... You get it.

10 hours ago, kowhite said:

I'd apply the same to Valerian, Jupiter Ascending, Cloud Atlas, Speed Racer, Elysium, Chappie, John Carter and a few others. I didn't even like half of the movies I just mentioned. But, I always support super budget sci-fi... Someone has to... They usually lose a lot of money.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kowhite said:

God damn I love Scorsese. There are so many gems in this article...

" And as film criticism written by passionately engaged people with actual knowledge of film history has gradually faded from the scene, it seems like there are more and more voices out there engaged in pure judgmentalism, people who seem to take pleasure in seeing films and filmmakers rejected, dismissed and in some cases ripped to shreds."

YEAH YOUTUBE CRITICS. YOU SUCK AND DON'T KNOW ANYTHING.

"And many seemed to take joy in the fact that it received an F grade from Cinemascore. This actually became a news story — mother! had been "slapped" with the "dreaded" Cinemascore F rating, a terrible distinction that it shares with pictures directed by Robert Altman, Jane Campion, William Friedkin and Steven Soderbergh."

THANK YOU. Cinemascore can eat my balls.

"When I was young, box office reports were confined to industry journals like The Hollywood Reporter. Now, I'm afraid that they've become … everything. Box office is the undercurrent in almost all discussions of cinema, and frequently it's more than just an undercurrent. The brutal judgmentalism that has made opening-weekend grosses into a bloodthirsty spectator sport seems to have encouraged an even more brutal approach to film reviewing."

This entire paragraph actually made me feel a little guilty for posting here... and not watching mother! lol

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

God damn I love Scorsese. There are so many gems in this article...

" And as film criticism written by passionately engaged people with actual knowledge of film history has gradually faded from the scene, it seems like there are more and more voices out there engaged in pure judgmentalism, people who seem to take pleasure in seeing films and filmmakers rejected, dismissed and in some cases ripped to shreds."

YEAH YOUTUBE CRITICS. YOU SUCK AND DON'T KNOW ANYTHING.

"And many seemed to take joy in the fact that it received an F grade from Cinemascore. This actually became a news story — mother! had been "slapped" with the "dreaded" Cinemascore F rating, a terrible distinction that it shares with pictures directed by Robert Altman, Jane Campion, William Friedkin and Steven Soderbergh."

THANK YOU. Cinemascore can eat my balls.

"When I was young, box office reports were confined to industry journals like The Hollywood Reporter. Now, I'm afraid that they've become … everything. Box office is the undercurrent in almost all discussions of cinema, and frequently it's more than just an undercurrent. The brutal judgmentalism that has made opening-weekend grosses into a bloodthirsty spectator sport seems to have encouraged an even more brutal approach to film reviewing."

This entire paragraph actually made me feel a little guilty for posting here... and not watching mother! lol

Thanks for that, really interesting article.

Thing that struck me most.....

even the actual name Rotten Tomatoes is insulting.

17 hours ago, kowhite said:

I will say...don't feel guilty.  Boxoffice is fascinating it's just, not everything.  

Not watching mother! Though?  Shame.  Shame.

Why?! Why should anyone feel guilty about not seeing Mother? You have to be joking. It was literally the worst movie I've ever seen. I mean, I don't want to let Moonlight off the hook, but I can't get around thinking Mother is a worse movie. It was an absolute pile of crap in every respect. Over-the-top, boring, repetitive, pretentious but not actually intelligent, just a mess of a film. I wouldn't tell my worst enemies to see that movie. It's cruel and unusual punishment. I find it distasteful that Mother would even be mentioned in a thread talking about a masterpiece like Blade Runner. Now THERE is a film worth seeing in theaters and supporting. I guess I should figure if you can find some corner of the Internet with one person who liked Mother, it would be here. There are some... interesting tastes.

But I think CinemaScore underscored what the rest of us thought -- F! An absolute abomination of a film and utter pile of shit.

21 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Why was a whole scene STOLEN from "Her"??!! You shouldn't be allowed to do that!!

Other than that - movie was OK. Even good - for this director.

To be fair I thought the scene here was much more effective here than the similar one in her

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

To be fair I thought the scene here was much more effective here than the similar one in her

Yeah, I got the similarity myself, but I hated Her. I thought it was a terrible movie. It had potential but damn it sucked. The elements that Blade Runner used really worked. It doesn't hurt that Ana de Armas is probably the hottest celebrity on earth. It's not usual for me to dethrone whoever was on top, but half-way into it my girlfriend leaned over and said, "She is the prettiest thing EVER!" and I was thinking, phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking she's ridiculously hot. 

6 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Why?! Why should anyone feel guilty about not seeing Mother? You have to be joking. It was literally the worst movie I've ever seen. I mean, I don't want to let Moonlight off the hook, but I can't get around thinking Mother is a worse movie. It was an absolute pile of crap in every respect. Over-the-top, boring, repetitive, pretentious but not actually intelligent, just a mess of a film. I wouldn't tell my worst enemies to see that movie. It's cruel and unusual punishment. I find it distasteful that Mother would even be mentioned in a thread talking about a masterpiece like Blade Runner. Now THERE is a film worth seeing in theaters and supporting. I guess I should figure if you can find some corner of the Internet with one person who liked Mother, it would be here. There are some... interesting tastes.

But I think CinemaScore underscored what the rest of us thought -- F! An absolute abomination of a film and utter pile of shit.

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

I hated Her. I thought it was a terrible movie. It had potential but damn it sucked. 

11890373.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I know, I know, it's SO crazy for anyone to disagree with The Powers That Be on BOT :P Even though virtually everyone on planet earth who saw Mother agrees that it's a godawful piece of shit. Like that's not even a strange opinion, it's literally everyone's opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the cast and crew hated it as much as I did.