The Fighter

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Fighter

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Loved it from the opening scene with Bale. One of the best acted films I've ever seen, and really has you rooting for it by the end. I will admit it drags at times, but the positives outweigh the negatives the world over. I never get tired of watching it.A

Strong acting from everyone on board. Story, however, was a little dull and overly-repetitive. It did have a few great scenes, though, like when Amy Adams smacked the girl (such a glorious moment). But not worthy of a BP nomination.B-

Finally got around to watching this on Netflix. I have to say I was totally surprised by how much I LOVED this film. Not a Bale fan at all but I thought his win for best supporting actor was well deserved. I thought the story of his family preying on Ward and the fact that it was difficult to turn his back on him was pretty fascinating. Anybody that has grown up poor with a big family can surely relate to this.And I know Melissa Leo won for bsa but I have to give a shout out to Amy Adams who played her part to perfection. She showed me a whole different side of her talents. She's not just a pretty face.Outstanding effort imo. A+

Strong acting from everyone on board. Story, however, was a little dull and overly-repetitive. It did have a few great scenes, though, like when Amy Adams smacked the girl (such a glorious moment). But not worthy of a BP nomination.B-

And DH2 is???Anyways, this film is a knockout, my favourite of the year.A Edited by Jessie

The strong relationship between Bale and Whalberg's characters is a highlight of the film. As is seeing the dysfunctional nature of the rest of the family.At times, though, the film felt slightly too manipulative (Whalberg's sisters were written for comedic relief and to convey dysfunction, but they bothered me because it was so obvious that they were plot devices used to illicit strong reactions, as opposed to being real human beings.) Moreover, the film's characters get over their conflicts a little too quickly for me. Rather than have Dicky struggle with his addiction, all we get is him watching a documentary, deciding to sober up, and boom, he's sober. The same thing happens with other conflicts. 

Still, I enjoyed the movie.3/4