A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

6 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Well sad if it does not get a release date for it but freedom of speech is a thing, he told a real experience not directly insulted China.... I hope the domestic total overperforms so the movie should not even need China to inflate the total, the doing whatever they can to not insult China is so annoying in the current movie experience.

Then the sequel will probably not play in China as well.

Even if it released people may boycott it.

We don't want a situation where people are so unforgiving that any film that he is involved is being boycotted in China.

We are here hoping for a best case scenario right? And strong global gross especially if there is a sequel. 

Of course good to pat on their back and give comfort. But who here isn't wishing for a best case scenario and hope it opens everywhere and have strong showing globally?

13 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Lol there is no country in the world that doesnt have bad things ...same goes for china.Still from what i understood of course and correct me if am wrong,he seems to basically describe what was the situation back then ....NOT NOW ,there is a big difference,if people cant tell the difference....then...

If there is one thing i learnt in life.. it is always important to try and think about the most sensitive people. Sometimes people don't mean it; but there might be people genuinely hurt and affected by such comments.

I am not defending any side here - and don't come debate me as if I agree with China netizens - i am just saying sometimes less is more. 

Lol. I feel like i am being bashed for bringing up something I saw and wanted to share with people here...

• Like 2

Just now, TigerPaw said:

Then the sequel will probably not play in China as well.

Even if it released people may boycott it.

We don't want a situation where people are so unforgiving that any film that he is involved is being boycotted in China.

We are here hoping for a best case scenario right? And strong global gross especially if there is a sequel. 

Of course good to pat on their back and give comfort. But who here isn't wishing for a best case scenario and hope it opens everywhere and have strong showing globally?

If there is one thing i learnt in life.. it is always important to try and think about the most sensitive people. Sometimes people don't mean it; but there might be people genuinely hurt and affected by such comments.

I am not defending any side here - and don't come debate me as if I agree with China netizens - i am just saying sometimes less is more. 

Lol. I feel like i am being bashed for bringing up something I saw and wanted to share with people here...

sorry if it came out as agressive..i was speaking generally

that's bad news. 

there's nothing wrong with his interview tho as he came to canada 27 years ago. China back then was.. not good.

and china still has extreme economic gap issue. very extreme.

but yeah.. china ccp army will mad at this, Shang-Chis' chance is probably dead now. lol 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Someone needs to tell Simu Liu to keep quiet if he wants the movie to be shown in China.

He has no EQ or what.

The interview is going viral in China.. i know it may not be recent but he has to be careful with his words. If anyone has any doubts about China, go down to China today and see how much she has advanced. I am from Singapore and when I visited Shang Chi in 2016... I was freaking amazed.

TBF a majority of the world are third world countries. 

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Someone needs to tell Simu Liu to keep quiet if he wants the movie to be shown in China.

He has no EQ or what.

The interview is going viral in China.. i know it may not be recent but he has to be careful with his words. If anyone has any doubts about China, go down to China today and see how much she has advanced. I am from Singapore and when I visited Shang Chi in 2016... I was freaking amazed.

I've read the comments on Weibo and some Chinese people understood that he referred to the 90s when China still had to deal with certain things. Some even mentioned that Simu defended Wuhan when Trump nearly started cyberwar about the virus situation. I hope someone informs Simu's agent/Kevin Feige/Marvel studio to clear up this mess as soon as possible.
Perhaps I'm too skeptical BUT why does it feel like a jealous j*rk is trying to stir up more problems to kill the chance of Shang chi getting a release date in the mainland???

I agree with you that Simu need to be very careful with his word now or he might end up making a shameful public apology like John Cena, which will surely piss off Western media. I recall that during Shang Chi's world premiere, Feige already had to explain the misunderstanding between Simu and Chapek. I don't like Chapek either but it's obvious that Chapek didn't mean that Asian people were just experiences but Simu still made that infamous tweet implying that Chapek was racist.

Edited by Arian1010
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

I mean....i dont know when was this interview but people should be smart enough to understand that he isnt talking about recent china...i swear people in general get offended way too easily if thats the main reason that shang chi doesnt release in china then so be it enough is enough.....Are people really cant understand his comments ? Thats internet for you though

Criticizing any part of communist china spells bad news for you. 

• Like 1

If situation does not clarify in next couple of weeks, its as good as dead. Weird to see Disney being hammered here. Normally they are given prime dates and Marvel is HUGE in china. Eternals is as good as dead in china considering Zhoe situation. So we have to wait for Dr Strange 2 for next Marvel release in China(There is also Sony's Spidey 3). 

1 hour ago, Fox20 said:

Well sad if it does not get a release date for it but freedom of speech is a thing, he told a real experience not directly insulted China.... I hope the domestic total overperforms so the movie should not even need China to inflate the total, the doing whatever they can to not insult China is so annoying in the current movie experience.

Sorry in advance I don't mean to sound harsh or whatever, but do you understand how far Marvel has already gone to please the mainland? They hired Hong Kong top stars but told them to speak Standard Mandarin Chinese instead of Hong Kong Cantonese in order to please the people in the mainland, which already pissed off some HK-er who are anti-CCP.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

Sorry in advance I don't mean to sound harsh or whatever, but do you understand how far Marvel has already gone to please the mainland? They hired Hong Kong top stars but told them to speak Standard Mandarin Chinese instead of Hong Kong Cantonese in order to please the people in the mainland, which already pissed off some HK-er who are anti-CCP.  

Yes? that is why I would not be bothered if they stop doing it, many Hollywood movies are being so corrupted trying to appeal China.

Funny enough not it did not affect Shang Chi's quality but the point still stands.

Edited by Fox20

9 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Yes? that is why I would not be bothered if they stop doing it, many Hollywood movies are being so corrupted trying to appeal China.

Funny enough not it did not affect Shang Chi's quality but the point still stands.

They're corrupted by their greed, everyone wants to gain more money, become rich and successful. Can't believe that the studio was trying so hard for the chance but it might get killed by the actor whom they chose as the male lead of the film.

Giving FG a good pass but not Marvel films is just too commercially doesn't make sense, maybe there is more beneath the surface. Could be they want to retain Hi Mom ww number 1 position (but they give greenlight to Gvk and F9), could be China still punishing marvel over Eternals and BW. Or they just see cinema as spiritual opium.     

Honestly it doesn't matter what Simu says some people will find something to be mad about. I'd rather not have a China release at all than having to silence the cast and directors when they give interviews. Because if people want to take offense they will make up any excuse to accuse Simu/Chloe etc of being anti-China. The running joke on Weibo is that if a foreigner never says anything that's anti-China, then they are already anti-China at heart because they know what not to say. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Arian1010 said:

I've read the comments on Weibo and some Chinese people understood that he referred to the 90s when China still had to deal with certain things. Some even mentioned that Simu defended Wuhan when Trump nearly started cyberwar about the virus situation. I hope someone informs Simu's agent/Kevin Feige/Marvel studio to clear up this mess as soon as possible.
Perhaps I'm too skeptical BUT why does it feel like a jealous j*rk is trying to stir up more problems to kill the chance of Shang chi getting a release date in the mainland???

I agree with you that Simu need to be very careful with his word now or he might end up making a shameful public apology like John Cena, which will surely piss off Western media. I recall that during Shang Chi's world premiere, Feige already had to explain the misunderstanding between Simu and Chapek. I don't like Chapek either but it's obvious that Chapek didn't mean that Asian people were just experiences but Simu still made that infamous tweet implying that Chapek was racist.

If he does a Cena-type thing, then it definitely will piss off Western (or at least American) audiences. A lot of people are tired of every celebrity knuckling down to China. Probably wouldn't affect BO too much but it wouldn't be a good PR look at all. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Menor said:

If he does a Cena-type thing, then it definitely will piss off Western (or at least American) audiences. A lot of people are tired of every celebrity knuckling down to China. Probably wouldn't affect BO too much but it wouldn't be a good PR look at all. 

So... the best solution is Kevin Feige steps out, explains everything, and saves the day... one more time? Personally I think it's a better solution than Simu saying anything at this point but I bet it will become a meme stock in the mainland that now Feige has to babysit a 32-year-old man that he insisted to cast as Shang Chi despite the backlash, but at least it's not the worst outcome. As others have already pointed out if the mainland blacklist Simu like Zhao then how can he play Shang Chi in Marvel team-up Avenger films? 

And perhaps I'm a newbie so I'm not too familiar with a lot of things but what is the point of other people come to the China box office section and tell others that Marvel should give up on China market? Instead of hoping for the best outcome for Shang Chi film and the future of Shang Chi Character, are we gonna just let our political point of view judge the situation like that?

• Thanks 1

I suppose whatever? I have already written off China for this one and Eternals.

That said, don't see anything wrong in what Simu said. China and India were pretty much same 25 years ago, and they were really poor with 1B people.

Today China turned it around, while India still remains awful. That don't change the fact that it was bad 25 years ago.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Arian1010 said:

This is a nonsense complaint. They speak Mandarin because the vast majority of Chinese people in the world don't speak Canto. It's not like those two can't speak Mandarin or have never done Mandarin speaking roles before. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Arian1010 said:

So... the best solution is Kevin Feige steps out, explains everything, and saves the day... one more time? Personally I think it's a better solution than Simu saying anything at this point but I bet it will become a meme stock in the mainland that now Feige has to babysit a 32-year-old man that he insisted to cast as Shang Chi despite the backlash, but at least it's not the worst outcome. As others have already pointed out if the mainland blacklist Simu like Zhao then how can he play Shang Chi in Marvel team-up Avenger films? 

And perhaps I'm a newbie so I'm not too familiar with a lot of things but what is the point of other people come to the China box office section and tell others that Marvel should give up on China market? Instead of hoping for the best outcome for Shang Chi film and the future of Shang Chi Character, are we gonna just let our political point of view judge the situation like that?

Yeah I think Feige should do it and he needs to be careful about what he says. Frankly I just don't like the idea of an apology for a statement that was perfectly fine. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I suppose whatever? I have already written off China for this one and Eternals.

That said, don't see anything wrong in what Simu said. China and India were pretty much same 25 years ago, and they were really poor with 1B people.

Today China turned it around, while India still remains awful. That don't change the fact that it was bad 25 years ago.

Haha, same, I've even prepared myself to say goodbye to Shang Chi's titular sequel film already, perhaps he might reappear in some random  Disney+ Marvel TV shows in the future but the risk of putting him in crossover big-budget Marvel films doesn't worth it. However on the other hand most people are fond of  SC's sister Xialing, the actress doesn't have a "bad reputation" in the mainland and her character doesn't have a controversial comic origin either, perhaps Marvel will push her instead.

• ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1