A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Coco to come in close 30m-5%. PS expanded as the multi fell from 7 to less than 6.  PS for wed tracking -5% DoD. Tighter holds than Zoo or Dangal.

JL to hold -8%

Paddington PS looking to finish at 10m on thursday. Could open over 40m. 

Coco has 11% of shows to Pads 33% on friday. They should both wind up in the low 20s. Coco had 20% last friday but has 33% today. It may not bump 100%, but it should be close to last Friday's 50m. 

Tuesday est after service fees
Coco  -  29.7m/563m -5.8% / +36.6%
Justice League  -  5.9m / 667.2m  - 6.3%
Darkest Hour - 3.3M/20.4m  +8.1%
Fireworks(Japan) - 1.5M/74.5M -28.5%
Viking(Russia)  - 0.62m/13m -19.5%

Edited by Olive Skywalker
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Coco  -  29.7m/563m -72% / -5.8%

Darkest Hour wom seems to be great.

Edited by efialtes76

7 hours ago, Olive Skywalker said:

The TV version of Once upon a Time(三生三世十里桃花)starring him is very successful, but he is not a BO draw.

Loved this show...I think I watched it in a week lol. It’d be great if they cast him as Shang. Despite not being a box office draw, I think he has great presence and is a strong actor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Coco  -  29.7m/563m -5.8% / +36.6%

JL 100mil is a done deal:qotd:

@mredman

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Olive Skywalker said:

The TV version of Once upon a Time(三生三世十里桃花)starring him is very successful, but he is not a BO draw.

Mark Zhao has great boxoffice performance,including So Young,Detective Dee and other blockbusters.His films usually did very well.He is not a Boxoffice draw But not a boxoffice poison too.A solid choice for casting

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

JL 100mil is a done deal:qotd:

@mredman

It didn’t crawl over either. Someone even wrote a long analysis about why it would miss the 100 million mark based on Thor’s numbers. Goes to show that there is room for more than one SH movie. Kudos to both movies! With over one week left, wonder whether it can get to 700m, which would be close to your 105-108 wish? 

16 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

It didn’t crawl over either. Someone even wrote a long analysis about why it would miss the 100 million mark based on Thor’s numbers. Goes to show that there is room for more than one SH movie. Kudos to both movies! With over one week left, wonder whether it can get to 700m, which would be close to your 105-108 wish? 

I saw the hater article about how the film wouldn’t make 100mil China which I found to be ridiculous.

Theres no crawl for it to get there only a walk.

700ww? I think it can as the film look to be heading for 240+/460 Finish.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

Mark Zhao has great boxoffice performance,including So Young,Detective Dee and other blockbusters.His films usually did very well.He is not a Boxoffice draw But not a boxoffice poison too.A solid choice for casting

I got some sources on the final choice of Mulan's main male lead role. The names shortlisted.. doesn't seem to have Mark Chao..

But i think we will know who the male main lead is within the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Anyway I always felt that Mulan is a very female-centric movie where Mulan herself takes the center stage, and to be honest the male main lead is not that important.

Edited by TigerPaw

2 hours ago, Brainiac5 said:

I saw the hater article about how the film wouldn’t make 100mil China which I found to be ridiculous.

Theres no crawl for it to get there only a walk.

700ww? I think it can as the film look to be heading for 240+/460 Finish.

He/she meant 700 mill yuan

i really doubt 700 mill WW will happen

12 minutes ago, fmpro said:

He/she meant 700 mill yuan

i really doubt 700 mill WW will happen

If it’s heading for a 245ish Finish then 700ww is certainly possible .

All the films has to do is be well over 400o.s Monday and aim for a 455finish.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, a2knet said:

With 'from James Cameron, director of Avatar' line presumably marketed prominently, what are the chances of Battle Angel exploding in China?

I would actually rather they don't do that, if the film is good, all is fine, if not, I worry that it may dilute Cameron's brand in China, which might hurt Avatar 2. The last three times a new Cameron film is released in China, they all became the highest grossing film of all time (True Lies, Titanic, Avatar), that is just magic!

I think Alita may be able to stand on its own though, but it's hard to be optimistic in this age when Hollywood "original" blockbusters don't succeed anymore. 

Edited by NCsoft

13 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I would actually rather they don't do that, if the film is good, all is fine, if not, I worry that it may dilute Cameron's brand in China, which might hurt Avatar 2. The last three times a new Cameron film is released in China, they all became the highest grossing film of all time (True Lies, Titanic, Avatar), that is just magic!

I think Alita may be able to stand on its own though, but it's hard to be optimistic in this age when Hollywood "original" blockbusters don't succeed anymore. 

I think the way A1 performed in China, Avatar will be it's own brand. A2's hype shouldn't be diluted one bit if JC's name is marketed heavily for Atila irrespective of the BO outcome (unless Atila has just toxic reception which is unlikely).

Edited by a2knet

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think the way A1 performed in China, Avatar will be it's own brand. A2's hype shouldn't be diluted one bit if JC's name is marketed heavily for Atila irrespective of the BO outcome (unless Atila has just toxic reception which is unlikely).

Good point,  after Avatar's success, "The director of Titanic" line is probably no longer important.

I'm not sure about reaction from audiences, but toxic reception from critics is quite likely, considering how GITS was received. After Valerian and GITS this year, I'm starting to lose faith in non-sequel, non-reboot, non-shared universe blockbusters ever being successful again, I don't see Alita being that different, critics will decide to hate them before they even see it, and Rodriguez certainly doesn't have the best resume, maybe if it was Cameron directing it, the critics might give it a chance.

I'm really cheering to Alita to succeed, the same way I do for Ready Player One, Mortal Engines, and Wrinkle of time.

6 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I got some sources on the final choice of Mulan's main male lead role. The names shortlisted.. doesn't seem to have Mark Chao..

But i think we will know who the male main lead is within the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Anyway I always felt that Mulan is a very female-centric movie where Mulan herself takes the center stage, and to be honest the male main lead is not that important.

Please, please tell me that Kris Wu is NOT one of those shortlisted. It would be a disaster if he was chosen.