A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Saturday Estimates

Tomb Raider - 102.17 ($16.14) (+36%)

The low rating is starting to show its effect. The increase is a bit muted. PS for tomorrow stands at 9.67. Should have around a 30-35% decrease tomorrow. Weekend could be around 39-40

Black Panther - 34.3 ($5.4) (+98%)

Total - $92m

Good increase for BP today. PS for tomorrow at 4.1. Will be close to $95-96m by end of weekend. Will likely get to 100m in the end

Potus was few days back giving data for annual tickets sold countrywise.

India sold 0.98 Billion(98 cr) Tickets in 2017.I told u it is not 2 billions or so which few unreliable sites were claiming.

Edited by Saurabh
Incomplete comment
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Saurabh said:

Potus was few days back giving data for annual tickets sold countrywise.

India sold 0.98 Billion(98 cr) Tickets in 2017.I told u it is not 2 billions or so which few unreliable sites were claiming.

Wow. That means that most of sources have been wrong for a long time:

https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2014/09/03/bollywood-indias-film-industry-by-the-numbers-infographic/amp/

https://www.google.es/amp/wap.business-standard.com/article-amp/companies/india-s-box-office-growth-runs-into-a-screen-problem-116011801209_1.html

http://greenash.net.au/thoughts/2011/07/world-domination-by-box-office-cinema-admissions/

Why do you think there is a so big gap between sources? The general feeling outside India is that they usually go to see movies and if the 0.98 billion data is true, it means less than 1 ticket per person and year. And why they would produce over 1,500 films per year with a so low ratio of moviegoers? Something does not fit... 980 million admissions does not seem an impressive data taking into account the size of the country, production and the Bollywood fame.

Just questioning, of course. I am not saying that the 0.98b data is wrong. It is just that it seems a bit strange.

2 hours ago, peludo said:

https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2014/09/03/bollywood-indias-film-industry-by-the-numbers-infographic/amp/

https://www.google.es/amp/wap.business-standard.com/article-amp/companies/india-s-box-office-growth-runs-into-a-screen-problem-116011801209_1.html

http://greenash.net.au/thoughts/2011/07/world-domination-by-box-office-cinema-admissions/

Why do you think there is a so big gap between sources? The general feeling outside India is that they usually go to see movies and if the 0.98 billion data is true, it means less than 1 ticket per person and year. And why they would produce over 1,500 films per year with a so low ratio of moviegoers? Something does not fit... 980 million admissions does not seem an impressive data taking into account the size of the country, production and the Bollywood fame.

Just questioning, of course. I am not saying that the 0.98b data is wrong. It is just that it seems a bit strange.

Nowadays, the average Indian cannot afford to go to a movie theater. Also, piracy is rampant in India. People are willing to watch shaky cam latest releases. In fact, they feel proud of having watched a latest movie on television or laptop without having to pay for movie ticket.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Nowadays, the average Indian cannot afford to go to a movie theater. Also, piracy is rampant in India. People are willing to watch shaky cam latest releases. In fact, they feel proud of having watched a latest movie on television or laptop without having to pay for movie ticket.

We'll just have to give them a reason to go to the cinema. Leave it to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Saturday Estimates

Tomb Raider - 102.17 ($16.14) (+36%)

The low rating is starting to show its effect. The increase is a bit muted. PS for tomorrow stands at 9.67. Should have around a 30-35% decrease tomorrow. Weekend could be around 39-40

Black Panther - 34.3 ($5.4) (+98%)

Total - $92m

Good increase for BP today. PS for tomorrow at 4.1. Will be close to $95-96m by end of weekend. Will likely get to 100m in the end

Yeahhh.. show effect like the $41M weekend that you say was almost impossible...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peludo said:

Hardly 150 of those 1500 get a decent to good release even in these hardly 20 or so wld be those which taste success.So all this 1500 or whatever fig. is bullshit.Indian Cinema is not only Bollywood(Hindi Cinema) as there are several regional industries as well mainly Telugu and Tamil which both combined wld be bigger than Bollywood itself.North-South barrier is the biggest hurdle for achieving the max. BO potential within India. Baahubali 2 broke that divide and had 102 million admissions.Also movies are hardly watched by 10-15% of total population in India in  theatres.Movie watching is not a priority in India as is shown to the outside world.Piracy is very rampant which is also a factor.All this Bollywood fame is bullshit as in South they prefer their regional movies(Telugu.Tamil,Kannada and Malayalam) over BW anyday.Plus I read ticket admissions have reduced considerably in last decade or so may be upto 50% due to advent of multiplexes with much higher ticket price which also keep General public a bit more away from theatres. So it is very much possible that this 2 Billion admissions fig. is a decade old fig.as each year there is a considerable drop.2017 might be an exception to this due to Baahubali 2.I hope i have put across good enough points.

Edited by Saurabh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Saurabh said:

Hardly 150 of those 1500 get a decent to good release even in these hardly 20 or so wld be those which taste success.So all this 1500 or whatever fig. is bullshit.Indian Cinema is not only Bollywood(Hindi Cinema) as there are several regional industries as well mainly Telugu and Tamil which both combined wld be bigger than Bollywood itself.North-South barrier is the biggest hurdle for achieving the max. BO potential within India. Baahubali 2 broke that divide and had 102 million admissions.Also movies are hardly watched by 10-15% of total population in India in  theatres.Movie watching is not a priority in India as is shown to the outside world.Piracy is very rampant which is also a factor.All this Bollywood fame is bullshit as in South they prefer their regional movies(Telugu.Tamil,Kannada and Malayalam) over BW anyday.Plus I read ticket admissions have reduced considerably in last decade or so may be upto 50% due to advent of multiplexes with much higher ticket price which also keep General public a bit more away from theatres. So it is very much possible that this 2 Billion admissions fig. is a decade old fig.as each year there is a considerable drop.2017 might be an exception to this due to Baahubali 2.I hope i have put across good enough points.

Sure. Thank you very much for the explanation. It is obvious that we know nothing about Indian market outside there. I'll try to get true data the next time ;)

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

76,5 mill for TR on sunday. Around 25% drop..

thats pretty good

260 mill OW

it's Okay sun drop for TR.Sunday>Friday without preview.Bp drop 37% last Sunday.25-27% is very general drop for Sunday.$70M is almost locked.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/03/2018 at 11:30 PM, commendable said:

how will the shape of water do at china box office anyways

It did a lot like expected:

$10.3m China debut account for the lion’s share of weekend business

Impressive, does it had a shot to overtake mexico for is second biggest market ?