A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

8 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

This is probably an idiotic question, but do you guys think that Chinese audiences' distaste for BP could negatively influence the hype for IW over there, even if just a little bit? Especially if BP and Wakanda are heavily featured in the movie itself, like I presume they might.

BP will have positive affection on IW in my opinion, people will have low expectation than TA2.

BP Sunday -37%, worst drop for a superhero movie. BVS Sunday drop was 34%

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

BP finishes with about 110 for Sunday. A 35.3% drop from Saturday which is decent all things considered. 

Weekend total - 422 m OR 66.6m USD

A Spiderman like multi will get it to 110m final total. BP will need about 1.5x to get to 100 million. 

PS for tomorrow is at 5 million. Heading to about 20-25m tomorrow for a drop of about 75-82% which would be quite steep but expected

It seems BP surprised! about 35m today which is just 68% drop, pretty good all things considered

• Like 1

1 hour ago, feasby007 said:

It seems BP surprised! about 35m today which is just 68% drop, pretty good all things considered

Yes it definitely did. It's gonna have a fall of 66% which is far better than I expected and is pretty much a standard fall.

42 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Do you goes think it will have a better or worse hold than SM Homecoming second week?

No clue. BP doesnt have that big of a competition in its second week (Tomb Raider) as SMH did in its second week (WftPotA) so it had that advantage. But its rating is slightly worse than SMH and it seems to be even more frontloaded so can't tell.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Could Amazing China become a problem for Panther and Tombraider this weekend.. PS and WOM looks great in the coming days

For some reason that movie has very high Pre sales each day but the multi off of that PS is almost inexistant. Today for example it had more than double the PS of Black Panther and yet ended far behind it barely increasing from its PS. It's like its only doing business via pre sales. I'm sure the same will happen today as well. 

Edited by ZeeSoh

6 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

For some reason that movie has very high Pre sales each day but the multi is off of that PS is almost inexistant. Today for example it had more than double the PS of Black Panther and yet ended far behind it barely increasing from its PS. It's like its only doing business via pre sales. I'm sure the same will happen today as well. 

Perhaps because the government is buying tickets and nobody else. 

6 hours ago, Hades said:

Yeah BP 2 will drop hard in China, but it won't be as bad as The Last Jedi. Star Wars is a lost cause in China. I wonder what Marvel will do to combat the BP 2 drop in China.

BP is going to be in Avengers 3 and 4 which will give a huge boost to the character 

6 hours ago, Hades said:

Yeah BP 2 will drop hard in China, but it won't be as bad as The Last Jedi. Star Wars is a lost cause in China. I wonder what Marvel will do to combat the BP 2 drop in China.

Disney is probably less worried about one of their 50 superheroes than the future of the entire Star Wars franchise in the #1 market.

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Disney is probably less worried about one of their 50 superheroes than the future of the entire Star Wars franchise in the #1 market.

I think any chance of saving Star Wars in China is pretty much gone anyway. The only possible way I could see that changing a bit, would be if the Johnson or Benioff/Weiss series go into an unexpected direction that appeals to Chinese audiences and they keep the fact that it is Star Wars rather low-key. Though I have no idea how that could possible be done.

51 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I think any chance of saving Star Wars in China is pretty much gone anyway. The only possible way I could see that changing a bit, would be if the Johnson or Benioff/Weiss series go into an unexpected direction that appeals to Chinese audiences and they keep the fact that it is Star Wars rather low-key. Though I have no idea how that could possible be done.

Well for a start maybe China will enjoy Ranger Solo more than TLJ. It is supposed to be funnier and more action-packed, not unlike GOTG.

(It would also help my bold $1B prediction)

5 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Star Wars really doesn't need China to be very profitable anyway, they probably don't care much.

As long as they have animated movies and Marvel and live action movies they'll be fine in this market.

Sure, they're not huge in China but at least they're profitable with a growth potential on the long run.

What Disney should do is developing new brands/franchises in China by opening Chinese studios, employing Chinese talents, buying Chinese firms..If they want to have a huge breakthrough someday it's likely to be the only way.

And thankfully China is far from being the only growing market...countriesl ike Mexico and Brazil could be very profitable on the long run, Disney is doing very, very well there. Indonesia also has a real potential.

Edited by Fullbuster

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Star Wars really doesn't need China to be very profitable anyway, they probably don't care much.

As long as they have animated movies and Marvel and live action movies they'll be fine on this market.

Sure, they're not huge in China but at least they're profitable with a growth potential on the long run.

What Disney should do is developing new brands/franchises in China by opening Chinese studios, employing Chinese talents, buying Chinese firms..If they want to have a huge breakthrough someday it's likely to be the only way.

And thankfully China is far from being the only growing market...countriesl ike Mexico and Brazil could be very profitable on the long run, Disney is doing very, very well there. Indonesia also has a real potential.

Imagine if a film could unlock the full potential of all markets, hily crap it would make so much money.

Can't think of films to come that could manage it, not of the top of my head atleast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Imagine if a film could unlock the full potential of all markets, hily crap it would make so much money.

Can't think of films to come that could manage it, not of the top of my head atleast.

Too many different cultures and situations would make this incredibly difficult..the level of development also leads to different tastes and expectations for a  movie, some of these markets have a strong local movie markets..etc..

I don't see this happening.

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Too many different cultures and situations would make this incredibly difficult..the level of development also leads to different tastes and expectations for a  movie, some of these markets have a strong local movie markets..etc..

It would have to an universal appeal, perhaps a story grounded by human emotions... perhaps the main theme could be something like family.

Visually lets make ot a spectacle, so much so it takes everyones breath away.

Add in some action for the lads and a bit of romance for the gals.

We'll have ourselves a winner.

Can't think if any films that will do this though...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

India has so much potential (second only to China for OS market size by revenue), but Hollywood films have great difficulty breaking out. Apparently, over 85% of India's box office is from local movies like you mention.

• Like 1