A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Spiderman Homecoming got a $70m OW and ended up at $118m total because China has crazy drops.

Good? It's ok.

It's very good for a solo character's first film. Spider-Man and Iron Man were already very popular in China before Homecoming. Of course poor WoM might prevent Black Panther 2 from doing well in China but that's an issue for later.

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It's very good for a solo character's first film. Spider-Man and Iron Man were already very popular in China before Homecoming. Of course poor WoM might prevent Black Panther 2 from doing well in China but that's an issue for later.

It sounds like the hype from America gathered some interest in China, leaving them somewhat confused.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YLF said:

Is that good for China?

A 25% increase on Saturday is somewhat low. JL for example managed a 40% increase if I am not wrong. But given its rating and how it performed yesterday there were concerns it might not increase at all or even fall today. So relatively its a good increase

As for the OW if it hits 65, it will be higher than JL (by nearly 14 million), Thor Ragnarok (by 10 million) and I think Guardians 2 as well. Only Spiderman amongst SH movies last year would have had a bigger opening at nearly 70 milliom. So yeah a 65 million opening would be good gor China. However considering how big the PS were and many were thinking 80-90 2 days back, then its a bit disappointing. Legs are a concern as well at this point. Spidey had the shortest legs last year of all sH movies at about 1.65 if I am not wrong. If BP manages the same legs then it will get to about 105-107 which would still be great all things considered. That would be higher than JL and just below Ragnarok and higher than what people thought BP would do In China before everyone got caught in the hype

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It seems that American films are losing their luster in China. What was the last Hollywood film to genuinely break out in China? 

Are they really? Nearly every SH movie made 100 last year (barring WW I think which got very close) and BP is gonna do the same. I dont see any movie that underperformed as per expectations except perhaps TLJ. 

As for your question I would say it was Coco that last broke out which was not a long time back

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It seems that American films are losing their luster in China. What was the last Hollywood film to genuinely break out in China? 

During last 3-4 years, EVERY SH film (MCU, DCU, X-Men) makes between 600 and 800 million Yuan (about 95-125 million dollar), excepting Avengers films, which are able to round 200-230 million dollar. BP result is not excellent, not bad. It is standard.

Relative to HLW films, China loves other franchises like Transformers or Furious. Last year TF5 did 235 million and F8 over 400. And that is right that Pacific Rim 2 (or Bumblebee) because its similarities with TF could make big numbers, although not 500m-big like recent local blockbusters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

Coco?or fast and furious 8?The highest inported film this year is not a Hollywood film.Secret superstar did great.

18 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

Coco?or fast and furious 8?The highest inported film this year is not a Hollywood film.Secret superstar did great.

Right. Several Bollywood movies broke out in China. Some Japanese and Korean movies also did quite well there. China has more receptive to foreign productions than many think, showing that their taste is not dictated by Hollywood or local productions only. Not surprising considering that with 1.3b people, a large proportion of which rapidly becoming middle class and urbanised, even small subsets of people with a variety of tastes/liking will translate into a substantial market for movies of various genres/origins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Are they really? Nearly every SH movie made 100 last year (barring WW I think which got very close) and BP is gonna do the same. I dont see any movie that underperformed as per expectations except perhaps TLJ. 

But CBO keeps increasing, a genuine "breakout" for an American movie is probably around $300M+ now so it is a good question.

I hope we won't have to wait for Avatar 2. :jeb!:

• Haha 1

There is some nice performer in China, Zootopia,

Hacksaw Ridge, The Revenant, a Dog Purpose, Coco, Resident Evil The Final Chapter,etc... but in term of Transformer 4/Fast 7 level break out ?

In 2014 biggest movie in China was Hollywood with Transformer 4, in 2015 was also hollywood with Fast 7. in 2016 the biggest hollywood movie Zootopia was less than 50% the biggest Chinesse movie Mermaid, in 2017 Fast 8 was less than 50% of Wolf Warrior 2. And I guess in 2018 no American movies will beat Monster Hunt 2 and that movie will maybe not end in the top 3.

Hollywood movie do very well and growth overall (even gained market share over Chinese release last year I think), but the competition from local movie for the biggest phenomenon do seem to have got stronger, separating itself with what American movies can do there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

There is some nice performer in China, Zootopia,

Hacksaw Ridge, The Revenant, a Dog Purpose, Coco, Resident Evil The Final Chapter,etc... but in term of Transformer 4/Fast 7 level break out ?

In 2014 biggest movie in China was Hollywood with Transformer 4, in 2015 was also hollywood with Fast 7. in 2016 the biggest hollywood movie Zootopia was less than 50% the biggest Chinesse movie Mermaid, in 2017 Fast 8 was less than 50% of Wolf Warrior 2. And I guess in 2018 no American movies will beat Monster Hunt 2 and that movie will maybe not end in the top 3.

Hollywood movie do very well and growth overall (even gained market share over Chinese release last year I think), but the competition from local movie for the biggest phenomenon do seem to have got stronger, separating itself with what American movies can do there. 

Was there ever a time Hollywood performed better than the local market in China, seems like Chinese films have always performed better.