A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

After reading a whole lot of reviews on both Maoyan and Douban, i can see that the ending wasn't the factor. Many are upset about it but still rate 3-4 star. The 1 or half star ratings are mad about Hollywood movies in general, some include economic recessions, woman organization sth, US-China trade war. "Why are pp still watching mindless English movies like this" they said.

The 5-star ratings are over the moon about it. Most common phrases are "The storyline compact", "egg wonderful", "movie good-looking", "effect is very good" and some praises about unexpected plot and villains. In short, they're similar to the rest of the world.

I wonder if WOM is actually good but the score is low, will the gross be affected a lot? Is there any precedence of this situation?

Troll ?

Edited by fabiopazzo2

5 minutes ago, Agafin said:

It's really weird how this movie seems to be having less walk-ups than FF8. Does anyone think the earlier start of presales had an impact?

Yeah perhaps the great WoM from every other region around the world led to more presales than usually. Let's remember that no other comic book film has done what Infinity War has so far. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Agafin said:

It's really weird how this movie seems to be having less walk-ups than FF8. Does anyone think the earlier start of presales had an impact?

I think it is expected. It is much easier for GA to understand FF8 than IW which has like a hundred superheroes.

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

F8 is just a regular action movie. This one is plotty as hell. 

Agree, though I assume there should be a lot of 'just wanna see Thanos induced walkups from those who haven't been following the plot much.

1 minute ago, Fake said:

It's too early for a meltdown.

Let's wait till Saturday at least. Saturday almost always brings good tiding for MU.

imo it's too late for a meltdown - as in a minimum $180-190 ow annulled the need of all meltdowns a few days back. it's gonna be a fantastic ow no matter what.

3 minutes ago, Fake said:

It's too early for a meltdown.

Let's wait till Saturday at least. Saturday almost always brings good tiding for MU.

There's no genuine meltdown yet. There's just one commenter "melting down" and he seems like a troll to me. He said that even if IW does $200M+ OW, it is still underwhelming just because it can't surpass FF8. He may be a DC diehard. I mean, no other superhero movies from other studios is doing this kind of numbers, yet he still has the nerve to call IW's performance underwhelming.

F8                                 IW

11AM  196,79                205.6

12PM  211,61                216.5

1PM    229,42                230.54                 

2PM    245,36                245.47      

3PM    265,07                259.5

4PM    281,55                273.5

5PM    298,69

6PM    315,63

7PM    333,23

8PM    341,96

Im hoping for a 50% bump in run rate after 6pm.  FF8 couldnt do it but most films bump 100%. It hasn't mirrored FF8 in the last 2 days, maybe it wont here.

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

There's no genuine meltdown yet. There's just one commenter "melting down" and he seems like a troll to me. He said that even if IW does $200M+ OW, it is still underwhelming just because it can't surpass FF8. He may be a DC diehard. I mean, no other superhero movies from other studios is doing this kind of numbers, yet he still has the nerve to call IW's performance underwhelming.

You're being a little harsh to that guy, let me give you a little perspective.

I've been reading these threads for the last week and people have like Potus have been writing long posts (he must be right!) saying 230m opening weekend is the floor. Now you're telling him he was dumb for believing that in the first place, but for someone trying to guage it's performance from the posts in here rather than their knowledge of Chinese box office it did seem as though people in here were expecting 400m+ was a given.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're being a little harsh to that guy, let me give you a little perspective.

I've been reading these threads for the last week and people have like Potus have been writing long posts (he must be right!) saying 230m opening weekend is the floor. Now you're telling him he was dumb for believing that in the first place, but for someone trying to guage it's performance from the posts in here rather than their knowledge of Chinese box office it did seem as though people in here were expecting 400m+ was a given.

Well yeah it might be, but the problem is what do you do? Not trust Potus? You can ask everyone who's been active in the China thread the last 1-2 years. He's very good at projecting what a movie will do based on presales. He normaly does a very good job at this. And everybody can be 'wrong' sometimes, I think he earned his mis. That said it's still way to early to tell if it won't hit his low end target. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Yes, If you look back at AoU on this thread.

Tues  Big OD  "Its going to do 300m!"

Wed  Huge drop, "Its tanking, only $200m"

Sat    Huge bump,  "$300m back on"

Mon   Big drop,  "Its a weekend movie, eh, will probably finish at $250m"

F8                                 IW

11AM  196,79                205.6

12PM  211,61                216.5

1PM    229,42                230.54                 

2PM    245,36                245.47      Oh, a bright spot. IW almost matched this hour, maybe it pulls ahead next hour

3PM    265,07                

4PM    281,55

5PM    298,69

6PM    315,63

7PM    333,23

8PM    341,96

FF8's hourly did not increase during primetime due to sellouts, a lot sales in the morning might have been PS for the evening.  With a weaker morning and more shows available perhaps IW could show a stronger evening.  Also TA's plays weaker during school hours than FF's

FF8 did almost 20M for 2-3PM (sort of an aberration) because subsequently  it only did 16.5-17.5 per hour. So it will be tough for IW to match that, and may fall behind for a while, but if IW keeps improving like the current rate, it may start pulling in 18M per hour and catch up to FF8.

• Like 1