A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Releasing Bumblebee only a year after The Last Knight was a mistake.  I've said it before and I'll say it again they should have waited five years.

You can't really blame them, tho. I mean, 2018 was a lot better for Paramount than even they probably expected, given AQP and Fallout and by that point, this was well into production. But aside from MI, which, the most recent two installments aside, hasn't been a franchise that releases movies very frequently, they don't really have cash cow franchises, so maybe their rationale is better to have a movie that does 400-500 million WW on a 100 million budget every couple of years, than wait for 5 years and have nothing coming in.

Perhaps they should have pushed the release back, but then the question would have been when to release it? Christmas at least gave them the chance for legs...

A predicament for Paramount, but maybe this will build goodwill for the future installments in a lot of markets, at least. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Post Fox takeover, 65% could become the norm, given the market-share, with higher spikes for their huge movies.

I think the theater owners will cave to Disney's demands. Disney is the only studio which is very vocal against cutting the theatrical window. The theater owners praise that stance so I think that is reason enough for them to cave. Although they can really do little against a studio with 35 to 40% market share post-Fox takeover.

30 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

You can't really blame them, tho. I mean, 2018 was a lot better for Paramount than even they probably expected, given AQP and Fallout and by that point, this was well into production. But aside from MI, which, the most recent two installments aside, hasn't been a franchise that releases movies very frequently, they don't really have cash cow franchises, so maybe their rationale is better to have a movie that does 400-500 million WW on a 100 million budget every couple of years, than wait for 5 years and have nothing coming in.

Perhaps they should have pushed the release back, but then the question would have been when to release it? Christmas at least gave them the chance for legs...

A predicament for Paramount, but maybe this will build goodwill for the future installments in a lot of markets, at least. 

I didn't think about it from the stand point of them not having many franchises. You make a good point there. Still they didn't give people a chance to get over the recent failures. Of course audiences weren't going to be clamoring for Bumblebee. Bay's Transformers made them a ton of money but his reign lasted 2 movies too long. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I didn't think about it from the stand point of them not having many franchises. You make a good point there. Still they didn't give people a chance to get over the recent failures. Of course audiences weren't going to be clamoring for Bumblebee. Bay's Transformers made them a ton of money but his reign lasted 2 movies too long. 

Yeah. As I said, a bit of a predicament. But at least it seems to be well-received. And the goodwill might build after its theatrical window, so that the next installment increases properly. If that happens, then the relatively small investment for this will definitely have been worth it. Final judgement will have to be reserved until the next movie, imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Releasing Bumblebee only a year after The Last Knight was a mistake.  I've said it before and I'll say it again they should have waited five years.

In Hindsight that the Last Knight was the end of that main batch I think you are making sense.

But early 2016 when it was decided, that was supposed to be a spin off running concurrently to the Bay style main series, like Rogue-One for Star Wars and in that context, and in the context of not building expectation among hte audience of an actual classic Transformer movie and going after mostly a different audience, having it that close was not a bad idea.

• Like 1

Disney Pos 2020=  no more Avengers,  no Star wars (at least not main franchise), no more live action remakes from Disney classics (only Little Mermaid), Disney will have a big decline.

Avatar is the only big franchise they got from Fox, I do not believe X-men will be big, X-men is a tired franchise.

Edited by Lucasmessi12
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Disney Pos 2020=  no more Avengers,  no Star wars (at least not main franchise), no more live action remakes from Disney classics (only Little Mermaid), Disney will have a big decline.

Avatar is the only big franchise they got from Fox, I do not believe X-men will be big, X-men is a tired franchise.

There will be more avengers and more star wars lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

:wintf:

They'll most likely end up with three MCU movies in 2020 alone. And I'm willing to bet that a completely rebooted MCU X-Men movie opens to 150 million, possibly 200. Hell, they could start slowly introducing characters - Storm in BP2, reboot FF and sprinkle some bits on the X-Men there and so on and so forth, an AVX movie would open to IW numbers.

I would personally want them to keep the X-Men semi-detached for starters (whether that's parallel universe and then cross them into the main one, or whatever), but they will be integrated into the MCU somehow. Once done, I think you'll be surprised - the X-Men movies have not gotten anywhere near their ceilings, and you are underestimating their potential as part of the MCU.

• Thanks 1

New Wolverine is going to be a big deal. Whoever they get has big shoes to fill. Or maybe they won't use the character for the time being and focus on developing underused characters such as Storm who should have been front and center already. Retire Jean, retire Mystique, Magneto, they've been overused and overstayed their welcome. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

New Wolverine is going to be a big deal. Whoever they get has big shoes to fill. Or maybe they won't use the character for the time being and focus on developing underused characters such as Storm who should have been front and center already. Retire Jean, retire Mystique, Magneto, they've been overused and overstayed their welcome. 

Yeah storm has been incredibly underrated.

Imagine a big budget Storm movie which centre's around her growing up etc.. it could be like Aquaman with insane visuals oh lord give me it. 

Would do amazing in China also XD

Edited by Wotad

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:    

You could at at least pretend to be talking about how X-men MCU movies would fare *in China.*            

I wonder how long a Long Day’s Journey into Night will keep the record for lowest multi from OD. Not hard to imagine a long, long, time, since it was kind of the perfect storm.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:    

You could at at least pretend to be talking about how X-men MCU movies would fare *in China.*            

I wonder how long a Long Day’s Journey into Night will keep the record for lowest multi from OD. Not hard to imagine a long, long, time, since it was kind of the perfect storm.

and to make $40m total with less than $100k on its opening and only weekend

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

:wintf:

They'll most likely end up with three MCU movies in 2020 alone. And I'm willing to bet that a completely rebooted MCU X-Men movie opens to 150 million, possibly 200. Hell, they could start slowly introducing characters - Storm in BP2, reboot FF and sprinkle some bits on the X-Men there and so on and so forth, an AVX movie would open to IW numbers.

I would personally want them to keep the X-Men semi-detached for starters (whether that's parallel universe and then cross them into the main one, or whatever), but they will be integrated into the MCU somehow. Once done, I think you'll be surprised - the X-Men movies have not gotten anywhere near their ceilings, and you are underestimating their potential as part of the MCU.

I believe more in F4,  but let's go back to "China BO thread".

BBee PS heading to 26-27m. probably a 90m OD, 290m/$42m OW

They gave it 51% of shows, about the same as Aq and Vm which opened 2 and 3 times larger. I thought they would give it just 40% like FB2.

Aq and SV losing 2/3s of their shows to 5.4% and 3.4%.  PS look small and a drop happening but their shows were listed late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2