A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

Can anyone explain this? What’s the appeal to the Chinese audience that’s putting it so high up?

There could be lots if factors at play here. As mentioned in my previous post, it has a relatively small amount of votes since it's still in limited release. If it is a wide release, it's likely the average will go lower with scores from more casual cinema goers who didn't actively seek it out. 

Another aspect could be fans of the movie giving high ratings to try and encourage a wider release. This is just speculation but it's not unheard of. 

Thirdly, I guess the people who saw it may just really like the movie lol. 

It's too bad Bohemian Rhapsody has less than 6% of shows. I think it could have had a Green Book type run if it was wider. Even Green Book had 3x the showings when released, and it had HTTYD3 OW and Alita second weekend to compete with for screens.

There's also a local film called Song of Youth that also has a breakout worthy score (9.4) right now on Maoyan. Another one to watch maybe? 

7 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

There could be lots if factors at play here. As mentioned in my previous post, it has a relatively small amount of votes since it's still in limited release. If it is a wide release, it's likely the average will go lower with scores from more casual cinema goers who didn't actively seek it out. 

Another aspect could be fans of the movie giving high ratings to try and encourage a wider release. This is just speculation but it's not unheard of. 

Thirdly, I guess the people who saw it may just really like the movie lol. 

Bohemian Rhapsody does have 8.6 on Douban. I think among recent Hollywood films, only Green Book is higher at 8.9. The Maoyan score may be a little inflated right now, but it does seem to be a crowdpleasing film in general despite the censored cut removing key aspects of the film. 

8 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

No they didn't. That last scene was fucking great in theatre and when it come in the film.

Solid feel. This gonna breakout and China gonna start see Indian films other than those shitty social dramas.

I hope Indian romance films can be hit in China. I mean when I watched More than Blue, I was like:"This crap? Please look at our neighbor."

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I hope Indian romance films can be hit in China. I mean when I watched More than Blue, I was like:"This crap? Please look at our neighbor."

Yeah, I was thinking that notion in China for India would be like it's a bad place for women (Toilet, Pad Man, etc). I mean those are the films set in the absolute poor region of India. What about the normal India.

Aamir Khan films that have worked are either with student issue or social issues. May be if he do a romantic film that work but sadly the last one he did was a decade and half ago in 2006.

I was so rooting for Baahubali 2 to work there for a change, it didn't. Hopefully this do. 

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

15 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Is this the film that's supposed to go head-to-head with Shazam in China?

5 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

When does it go wide release? this weekend?

if BR's PTA remains high it'll ramp up in shows quickly and be wide by Thur.

It had the highest PTA today and has the highest PS PTA for tomorrow

it needs to bump 100% tomorrow and bump 20%+ on sunday

Sat PS at 3.86m.  I'd say 15m but 20m +100% possible with strong walkups

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

49 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

if BR's PTA remains high it'll ramp up in shows quickly and be wide by Thur.

It had the highest PTA today and has the highest PS PTA for tomorrow

it needs to bump 100% tomorrow and bump 20%+ on sunday

Sat PS at 3.86m.  I'd say 15m but 20m +100% possible with strong walkups

If the Maoyan rating is very high, surely there must be a later demand for a wider theater count for Bohemian Rhapsody, right?

With regards to the Shang-Chi discussion a few pages back, I'm guessing this casting wouldn't go well in China either.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

With regards to the Shang-Chi discussion a few pages back, I'm guessing this casting wouldn't go well in China either.

Yeah. This won't go well with China. Why can't they just cast a legit Chinese or Chinese-American actor? Yeun is Korean, and China/Korea relations is pretty much frosty at the moment.

10 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody does have 8.6 on Douban. I think among recent Hollywood films, only Green Book is higher at 8.9. The Maoyan score may be a little inflated right now, but it does seem to be a crowdpleasing film in general despite the censored cut removing key aspects of the film. 

Yes, I think so too. The cuts don't appear to have hurt it significantly review wise. However I am hesitant to make a judgement on the reception until more reviews come in from a (possible) wider release.

9 hours ago, KP1025 said:

I find it pretty funny that a 2016 Dutch movie about a killer lion is in the Top 3. 

Wow didn’t know it was that old lol. The poster does look pretty cool and eye catching. 

I don't think casting Chinese actor or american-chinese is the best for the film. Chinese audience are very sensitive about Chinese roles in Hollywood films. If those roles do not live up to what Chinese expect(even if their description is accurate), this film and the Marvel Studios can get those labels like "discriminatory" or "anti-China".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1