A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

20 minutes ago, a2k said:

doesn't matter at this point but CM's maoyan dropped to 8.7/10

Dropped to 8.7 several days ago, didn’t mention since it’s already pretty  clear approximately how the legs are going to be. I assume it will stay here, firmly middle-low tier for recent MCU.

20 minutes ago, a2k said:

they are projecting 994 ($148) finish.

Isn’t this adding like ¥60 after a roughly ¥200 week two? Seems pretty unprecedented, and CM is no longer in freefall. Honestly can’t figure out how it could miss the billion mark from here.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Dropped to 8.7 several days ago, didn’t mention since it’s already pretty  clear approximately how the legs are going to be. I assume it will stay here, firmly middle-low tier for recent MCU.

Isn’t this adding like ¥60 after a roughly ¥200 week two? Seems pretty unprecedented, and CM is no longer in freefall. Honestly can’t figure out how it could miss the billion mark from here.

yeah i think they are under-projecting and feel $155 will happen but this weekend let's see the hold and if there was any trailer effect

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Xiaoshu said:

I wish Wu Jing gets the role, he is a great actor n bigest now. Don't know if he can speak English though.

He cannot speak english and is too old for the role as well.

Not forgetting his recent box office hits, including wandering earth - has China nationalistics messages in them. Tough for him to break that mold IMO.

6 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Asian Actor Donnie Yen (who was in Rogue One and going to be in Mulan) for a big role in Marvel's Shang Chi. Hearsay its the role of the main villain.

What a waste if that's true. If he was 10 years younger, he could be Shang Chi himself.

Thats Hollywood casting big Asian stars in a nutshell nowadays sadly...

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Wu Jing already was in MCU. Search Iron Man 3 & his name.

2 hours ago, Xiaoshu said:

I wish Wu Jing gets the role, he is a great actor n bigest now. Don't know if he can speak English though.

Oh dear.....

8 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Hearing a lot of whispers that Disney has called their favourite Asian Actor Donnie Yen (who was in Rogue One and going to be in Mulan) for a big role in Marvel's Shang Chi. Hearsay its the role of the main villain.

What a waste if that's true. If he was 10 years younger, he could be Shang Chi himself.

NOT a waste. Villains often steal the show. Loki, Thanos, Killmonger, the Joker (TDK), Darth Vader, Darth Maul. And Donnie Yen has expressed his wish to play a villian for years even before Ip Man. Not to forget his breakthrough roles were playing villains in the classic New Dragon Gate Inn (1992 , 新龙门客栈, released as Dragon Inn in North America), and Once Upon a Time in China II (1992).

He may get more recognition in Hollywood playing the main villain in an MCU movie than a supporting member in a Star War Anthology film.

Edited by justvision
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, justvision said:

NOT a waste. Villains often steal the show. Loki, Thanos, Killmonger, the Joker (TDK), Darth Vader, Darth Maul. And Donnie Yen has expressed his wish to play a villian for years even before Ip Man. Not to forget his breakthrough roles were playing villains in the classic New Dragon Gate Inn (1992 , 新龙门客栈, released as Dragon Inn in North America), and Once Upon a Time in China II (1992).

He may get more recognition in Hollywood playing the main villain in an MCU movie than a supporting member in a Star War Anthology film.

This is true as well. He always seem to do extremely well playing the villain, maybe because his martial arts skill just seems so overpowering and make him seem like a real threat in those movies.

However in recent years, even roles where he is so called the villain (eg xXx 3 or Chasing the Dragon), the roles themselves just did not feel very villainous.

And on Rogue One, I thought he easily stole the show and didn’t feel like a supporting member. In fact pretty sure in a recent poll on Star Wars website voting for favourite Rogue One character, he won in the poll.

Back to this particular role, my understanding is that he is such a big name and Disney has so much faith in him that Disney doesn’t call him for auditions, and will directly call him to offer the role to him. That is what happened in Rogue One and Mulan, directors call him directly to express sincerity. 

Doubt he will take it though. He turned down William Dafoe’s role in Aquaman; hearsay Zack Snyder called him directly for that prior to filming of Justice League as Vulko is supposed to have a cameo in Justice League. Not sure how a villain role in Shang Chi will appeal to him.

20 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Lol. If Disney wants it to flop in China then cast Henry Golding.

First Chinese superhero and Disney to cast a British/Malaysian? Not all Asians are the same..

And while i like him, he doesn't seem to have any legit martial arts background...

Don't think Disney is so silly....

It depends how they modernise the story.  I believe the original story was that Shang Chi was half white American, do you think they are only going to cast half Chinese, half White American actors lol. They may modernise it without any reference to a specific country. Most of the news stories focus on first Asian superhero, not first Chinese. 

As for martial arts ability, that's movie magic after all. He could be trained and guided on set. The amount of actors used in fights in the MCU that don't have a fighting background shows it hasn't stopped them before.

27 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

It depends how they modernise the story.  I believe the original story was that Shang Chi was half white American, do you think they are only going to cast half Chinese, half White American actors lol. They may modernise it without any reference to a specific country. Most of the news stories focus on first Asian superhero, not first Chinese. 

As for martial arts ability, that's movie magic after all. He could be trained and guided on set. The amount of actors used in fights in the MCU that don't have a fighting background shows it hasn't stopped them before.

Lol. Once again, this is only possible if they want to forgo the box office earnings from China.

how many good Asian actors are there with strong martial arts background and good English? I can list a dozen, and Henry Isn’t one of them. 

Disney really isn’t so silly - what a wasted opportunity. Will only happen if Henry pays them to play the role, not the other way around. Lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Lol. Once again, this is only possible if they want to forgo the box office earnings from China.

how many good Asian actors are there with strong martial arts background and good English? I can list a dozen, and Henry Isn’t one of them. 

Disney really isn’t so silly - what a wasted opportunity. Will only happen if Henry pays them to play the role, not the other way around. Lol

Lol You didn't address my post at all. If they modernise the story and don't directly reference him being Chinese, just an Asian American who learns martial arts, why would that make it completely fail in China? 

And Hollywood isn't about just about what you can do, it's also about what's hot and popularity. Can you name a dozen Chinese heritage actors with the current momentum in Hollywood Golding has post CRA?  They will also be considering name value outside China as well. 

1 hour ago, RaidensSword said:

Lol You didn't address my post at all. If they modernise the story and don't directly reference him being Chinese, just an Asian American who learns martial arts, why would that make it completely fail in China? 

And Hollywood isn't about just about what you can do, it's also about what's hot and popularity. Can you name a dozen Chinese heritage actors with the current momentum in Hollywood Golding has post CRA?  They will also be considering name value outside China as well. 

Eh. I can see you like him a lot.

But Shang Chi itself is a chinese name... his villains/dad has chinese heritage. Changing that will spark rage across Chinese everywhere.

Hearsay Yoson An, Daniel Wu and Ludi Lin are in talks. 3 of them have chinese descent. Not sure where u plugged out Henry's name from.

Once again, not all Asians are the same. For example you think Marvel will cast a Jap actor for the role of Shang Chi? 

Anyway i haven't see much momentum for him since CRA? That film flopped in China. Don't let your love for an actor cloud your judgement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Eh. I can see you like him a lot.

But Shang Chi itself is a chinese name... his villains/dad has chinese heritage. Changing that will spark rage across Chinese everywhere.

Hearsay Yoson An, Daniel Wu and Ludi Lin are in talks. 3 of them have chinese descent. Not sure where u plugged out Henry's name from.

Once again, not all Asians are the same. For example you think Marvel will cast a Jap actor for the role of Shang Chi? 

Anyway i haven't see much momentum for him since CRA? That film flopped in China. Don't let your love for an actor cloud your judgement.

I said momentum in Hollywood (and America) since that's where Disney is based, because CRA was a hit there. I'm well aware of CRA's performance in China.

However, this is not about any love for Golding, he was merely a suggestion. This is about my own belief that we shouldn't be casting actors based on bloodlines which I believe leads us down the wrong path. 

Asians have hardly been given many starring roles in Hollywood movies as it is. Now we are starting to get more diverse roles for Asian actors in Hollywood movies and we are already putting barriers up about who can get what role based on their blood line or where there parents are from. 

To keep this on topic and related to Chinese box office (although I'm more than happy to continue in a relevant Shang Chi thread), Japan and China have a much more complex history and relationship but I still believe they could cast an Asian actor with different heritage to only Chinese and it still be a success in China. 

I don't see it causing a rage or China wide boycott that you seem to insinuate. Most of the audience in China or other countries won't care or even look into where the actor's parents are from, apart from some online social media commentators. Shang Chi is not Captain China after all. The key is Marvel's marketing focus and whether it is a good movie that will determine it's box office in China imo. 

On 3/20/2019 at 5:01 AM, Thanos Legion said:

China. Happens all the time. They move on quickly.  

On 3/20/2019 at 5:06 AM, a2k said:

yeah i think they are under-projecting and feel $155 will happen but this weekend let's see the hold and if there was any trailer effect

Maoyan projecting 1b now.  That's about right.  With MTB taking a lot of screens and several releases tomorrow, CM's shows are dropping from 20% to 7% and Friday BO will not bump. Just a 35m w/e and 50m week incoming.  Not much competition next weekend and should leg out 25m more 1b -1.010b.

XR just dropped to 6.68.  Mojo will have it at $150m if it reaches Y1002m but $149m would be the real number.

Lego 2 and BR both opening small tomorrow with just 7% of shows.  They will need a high rating to get anywhere. For now both look to be under $7m OW

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 11:35 AM, TigerPaw said:

Lol. If Disney wants it to flop in China then cast Henry Golding.

First Chinese superhero and Disney to cast a British/Malaysian? Not all Asians are the same..

And while i like him, he doesn't seem to have any legit martial arts background...

Don't think Disney is so silly....

I think Disney will have to go half Chinese or full Chinese,

seems mean to say that, but Golding does not seem Chinese/East Asian enough.

• Thanks 1