A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

52 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I don't think casting Chinese actor or american-chinese is the best for the film. Chinese audience are very sensitive about Chinese roles in Hollywood films. If those roles do not live up to what Chinese expect(even if their description is accurate), this film and the Marvel Studios can get those labels like "discriminatory" or "anti-China".

You have a great point here. I didn't think of that. If this is the case, then might as well go for Yeun then. He's pretty popular right now and has a built-in fan base. The fan response on Twitter to his rumored casting has been 90-ish % positive anyway. Very little complaint.

But the bad part is, Korea/China relationship is pretty bad right now. Maybe China will come to like Korea again in 2021? Who knows. Ugh. So it's like a lose-lose situation with China then.

Edited by UserHN

4 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

I don't think casting Chinese actor or american-chinese is the best for the film. Chinese audience are very sensitive about Chinese roles in Hollywood films. If those roles do not live up to what Chinese expect(even if their description is accurate), this film and the Marvel Studios can get those labels like "discriminatory" or "anti-China".

Yikes I never even thought of that. Is it better to play it safe with someone like Yeun then? 

10 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

If the Maoyan rating is very high, surely there must be a later demand for a wider theater count for Bohemian Rhapsody, right?

Its not like Domestic where they get more theaters the following Friday.

A high PTA will get it more shows daily.  Dangal started with 13% of shows, was at 21% on thursday and 30% by its second sunday. Its a steady daily ramp up.

It didnt get more shows today because holdovers usually bump bigger than new releases. It will start gaining tomorrow.

BR's rev % is 9.6, its show % is 5.4.  1.8 ratio.. all other movies are 1.2 or less. Most are less than 1

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Yikes I never even thought of that. Is it better to play it safe with someone like Yeun then? 

I don’t think it’s safe at all.

the name Shang Chi is one of the most Chinese names I have ever heard in my life, lol. Is Disney going to change the name?

And I am not sure how Disney is going to pull it off as my understanding is that Shang Chi is born in Hunan, skilled in Wushu and Kung Fu. Character is based on Bruce Lee and most villains are Chinese..

its almost like Disney casting a Japanese or Korean for Mulan, a little more extreme because Mulan is a real historical character. 

I genuinely still don’t see it happening. I think they will cast someone with Chinese descent.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

the name Shang Chi is one of the most Chinese names I have ever heard in my life, lol. Is Disney going to change the name?

And I am not sure how Disney is going to pull it off as my understanding is that story revolves around Chinatown, is based on Bruce Lee and most villains are Chinese..

can i ask why we talking about it like its confirmed ? 

13 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

No they didn't. That last scene was fucking great in theatre and when it come in the film.

Solid feel. This gonna breakout and China gonna start see Indian films other than those shitty social dramas.

I’m sorry what? If you are talking about Dangal, Secret Superstar, Hindi Medium, etc. then those movies are better than 99% of the crap that bollywood puts out. 

If you are talking about Mr. (I cant sell a movie nowadays unless I pander to nationalists or exploit social issues) Akshay Kumar movies like Toilet man and Pad man then I agree. 

6 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

And I am not sure how Disney is going to pull it off as my understanding is that story revolves around Chinatown, is based on Bruce Lee and most villains are Chinese..

They can always change the origin story (which could be criticized for its stereotypes), but the character's comic history is undeniably Chinese. 

The general plot holds that Shang-Chi was born in Hunan Province in communist China. His father, a powerful mastermind set on global domination, has him raised in a compound where he is trained in martial arts until he is ready to go out into the world to do his father’s bidding. He soon meets his father’s arch-nemesis (and the enemy of Fu Manchu, Sir Denis Nayland Smith), who causes Shang-Chi to question who his father really is. Ultimately, Shang-Chi devotes his life to stopping his father and fighting crime, and does, at some point, also become an Avenger.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Haha. Edited my previous post.

trust me - if it is confirmed, I think the tone of the Chinese audiences will be very different. 

its also one reason that i dont believe that he will ,bc the hero is suppose to be chinese why cast korean even if he is a good actor it would like saying we will cast someone white for black panther that doesnt make sense you make this film for chinese kids etc like what you did for captain marvel,black panther etc and while maybe they wont seem to care i do that they would want to make some pretty good money in china however he could be among the cast just not the hero and the funny thing is that in the same article they were saying that Mike Moh  could playing him both rumors yet in this tweet they talking about one lol both could be in the movie hell why they assume that

Edited by john2000

5 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

They can always change the origin story (which could be criticized for its stereotypes), but the character's comic history is undeniably Chinese. 

Yes, Marvel has shown it is willing to completely change backstories of major characters from the comics,  I don't see why they would hesitate to do so for this character if needed. As you say, a lot of the story needs to be reworked to remove stereotypes anyway. It could easily be an Asian American story with no reference to a specific country if necessary. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

Yes, Marvel has shown it is willing to completely change backstories of major characters from the comics,  I don't see why they would hesitate to do so for this character if needed. As you say, a lot of the story needs to be reworked to remove stereotypes anyway. It could easily be an Asian American story with no reference to a specific country if necessary. 

Are you a Chinese? Or Asian? Or Asian American? Or a minority in certain country?

Just curious because I cannot get your point of view at all. I am a Chinese and there are so many characters that Marvel can modernise and they choose to modernise a character that finally can represent us? Haha. And risk angering one of the biggest country with box office reciept?

what I am saying is your argument of modernisation just sounds like a easy way out for Disney/Marvel. Why couldn’t they modernise black panther and make him NOT African American? 

Modernising a character doesn’t mean changing his race or origin...  and it is not just an Asian American story. The character’s name/ “powers”(traditional Chinese martial arts) / villains...  it is a very fine line to thread here for Marvel.

One wrong step I really think will make many people upset, why take that risk?

i genuinely don’t see it happening.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Are you a Chinese? Or Asian? Or Asian American? Or a minority in certain country?

Just curious because I cannot get your point of view at all. I am a Chinese and there are so many characters that Marvel can modernise and they choose to modernise a character that finally can represent us? Haha. And risk angering one of the biggest country with box office reciept?

what I am saying is your argument of modernisation just sounds like a easy way out for Disney/Marvel. Why couldn’t they modernise black panther and make him NOT African American? 

Modernising a character doesn’t mean changing his race or origin...  and it is not just an Asian American story. The character’s name/ “powers”(traditional Chinese martial arts) / villains...  it is a very fine line to thread here for Marvel.

agreed you make this movie for this reason ,change his race wouldnt make sense and the movie wouldnt do what it is supposed to do represent chinsese people

Edited by john2000
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Are you a Chinese?

sorry because I cannot get your point of view at all. I am a Chinese and there are so many characters that Marvel can modernise and they chose to modernise a character that finally can represent us? Haha.

That's a really big topic and worthy of a different discussion but I don't agree that Chinese people are waiting on an American company and American created character to represent them. Chinese cinema is getting better and better, it can and should make it's own heroes. Not rely on stories told from the West. 

Specifically about Shang Chi, he is originally half white American. So would you want a mixed race actor to represent Chinese people or are willing to change and ignore that because that is ok? We cannot be insistent on one part of the character and ignore another to suit a discussion.

Also, if you go the route you suggest, where do you draw the line? For example, is it ok to have an American or British actor with one Chinese parent or is it only for totally Chinese actors? How about if they are from Singapore or Malaysia with Chinese ancestry but spent no time in China or with Chinese people, is that acceptable in your opinion? Don't you see how this becomes almost farcical? 

Black Panther wasn't only casting African Americans. It cast Black actors from different countries and different origins. They put on African accents but they were not African. They portrayed being from an African country but none of them grew up in Africa afaik. Now this is different because Wakanda is a fictional country and Shang Chi has a Chinese father in the comics, but I still think they can be flexible with the story if necessary. 

I only suggest modernising it to remove references to him being Chinese because of the argument that it would be offensive to have him played by an actor without Chinese blood. I would much prefer to keep the Chinese elements and have the best actor for the role portray him.

Think about if this becomes the norm and you are an actor from a small Asian country or a descendant from that country, how difficult it would be for you to get cast or amount of roles you would be blocked from because you weren't fortunate enough to be born with the right blood.

You may say that's an extreme example but that is the road you are going down if we start insisting on segregating actors like this.  That's already been the case for Asian Americans and other minorities in Hollywood with so many lead roles taken by White actors/actresses and now we are starting to section off these other roles too? 

Hollywood is doing more and more to be diverse and more colour blind, although it has a long way to go, but I feel this kind of talk is a backwards step. 

As I said before, it's such a dangerous path to go down for acting and casting of roles imo and risks opening up a bigger can of worms in the future, creating more division than anything positive. 

18 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

That's a really big topic and worthy of a different discussion but I don't agree that Chinese people are waiting on an American company and American created character to represent them. Chinese cinema is getting better and better, it can and should make it's own heroes. Not rely on stories told from the West. 

Specifically about Shang Chi, he is originally half white American. So would you want a mixed race actor to represent Chinese people or are willing to change and ignore that because that is ok? We cannot be insistent on one part of the character and ignore another to suit a discussion.

Also, if you go the route you suggest, where do you draw the line? For example, is it ok to have an American or British actor with one Chinese parent or is it only for totally Chinese actors? How about if they are from Singapore or Malaysia with Chinese ancestry but spent no time in China or with Chinese people, is that acceptable in your opinion? Don't you see how this becomes almost farcical? 

Black Panther wasn't only casting African Americans. It cast Black actors from different countries and different origins. They put on African accents but they were not African. They portrayed being from an African country but none of them grew up in Africa afaik. Now this is different because Wakanda is a fictional country and Shang Chi has a Chinese father in the comics, but I still think they can be flexible with the story if necessary. 

I only suggest modernising it to remove references to him being Chinese because of the argument that it would be offensive to have him played by an actor without Chinese blood. I would much prefer to keep the Chinese elements and have the best actor for the role portray him.

Think about if this becomes the norm and you are an actor from a small Asian country or a descendant from that country, how difficult it would be for you to get cast or amount of roles you would be blocked from because you weren't fortunate enough to be born with the right blood.

You may say that's an extreme example but that is the road you are going down if we start insisting on segregating actors like this.  That's already been the case for Asian Americans and other minorities in Hollywood with so many lead roles taken by White actors/actresses and now we are starting to section off these other roles too? 

Hollywood is doing more and more to be diverse and more colour blind, although it has a long way to go, but I feel this kind of talk is a backwards step. 

As I said before, it's such a dangerous path to go down for acting and casting of roles imo and risks opening up a bigger can of worms in the future, creating more division than anything positive. 

Issue here is that casting someone with non-chinese heritage maybe make people feel that Disney thinks all Asians are the same, as long as they appear yellow. Which seems like what you are thinking.

Once again, not sure about your background or your social circle, but from what I am seeing on my side of the world and social media, the dream/fan casting here is someone with Chinese heritage.

Honestly.. re-read what you are saying.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

cough... cough. 

Haha. Exactly. Good example of what happens due as a result of wrong casting. While the original Iron Fist isn’t Chinese - many was hoping that Marvel could cast someone that enhance the diversity of his superheroes.

See what happened to the show.. 

In fact audiences dislike this so much that Iron Fist pretty much dragged the defenders down (despite the rest of them being at least decent)

I just want to add so it's clear for everyone Hollywood isn't 'fair' for almost any none English country in the world.

First off in their own country they under repressing their minority populations.

Secondly way too little of African actors from their different countries even if movies are based in specific parts of Africa. They also don't do their justice to their nationalities. 

Also a lot of stereotype casting going on.

If we go to Asian countries you see exactly the same thing happening so I get why you are upset, it's not particularly fun and is sometimes annoying.

But don't think it's only nonwhite people who get this treatment, people in Europe are also under represented in movies about Europe they use the same broad brush. Then we have Russians who like Muslim people get the extra label in Hollywood movies to play 'the bad guys' so yeah Hollywood is very unjust in a lot of regards.

And yeah I do want to add I know that even between Australia, UK, Canada, US they 'miss play' each other in movies. And I will add as a Belgian I don't really mind Belgian roles being played by other nationalities but not everyone is ok with that and that is also important to be aware of.