A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

20 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Nope. Around 40 mill~ish yuan IMO

Considering Lego Batman's lifetime gross of $6.1 million in China, I suppose this is an improvement. 😂  Lego Movie 2 has grossed lower than Lego Batman pretty much everywhere else. 

obviously the non asians(also asian american) don't understand value of casting proper asians with nationality because they see asians such as white/black american way where colors are most important while in asia, it's not at all.

they think all asians are all same and should play any asians. lol

also hope they don't do silly color bridge hair piece on asian character because of their dated oriental fantasy.

I really wish they hire more asians staffs, especiall local china industry people in to the production.

otherwise it has high chance of orientalism, racism issues. Asian Americans ≠ Asians

btw, Mike Moh who played bruce lee on new tarantino film could be nice contender.

he's korean american but he(and people of "Moh" in korea ) is chinesse descendant.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

obviously the non asians(also asian american) don't understand value of casting proper asians with nationality because they see asians such as white/black american way where colors are most important while in asia, it's not at all.

they think all asians are all same and should play any asians. lol

also hope they don't do silly color bridge hair piece on asian character because of their dated oriental fantasy.

I really wish they hire more asians staffs, especiall local china industry people in to the production.

otherwise it has high chance of orientalism, racism issues. Asian Americans ≠ Asians

btw, Mike Moh who played bruce lee on new tarantino film could be nice contender.

he's korean american but he(and people of "Moh" in korea ) is chinesse descendant.

I am fully aware of how much importance bloodline and heritage is in Asia, I just disagree with involving that into movie casting.

For example, you just talked about how not all Asians are the same and then you suggest a Korean American, but in your opinion he's ok because his "people" are of Chinese descent. It all becomes a very twisted and messy way to define who is acceptable for who can be considered for roles. 

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I hope Disney at least for that movie looks at what China wants too not just America. I'm not exactly optimistic about that happening but I'd love to be proven wrong 

I don't really know how anyone can define what Chinese people want from an adaptation of an American comic that never had any impact in China.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Considering Lego Batman's lifetime gross of $6.1 million in China, I suppose this is an improvement. 😂  Lego Movie 2 has grossed lower than Lego Batman pretty much everywhere else. 

Yep. Could also be 30 mill if reviews are poor and saturday does`ent pop

2 minutes ago, firedeep said:

I think even 400m is uncertain given it is literally a typical Hollywood PG13 comedy with too many American gags, little action, DC brand attached though.

Didn't think it should have trouble beating ITSV which broke out mostly in the US. Spiderman is more recognisable but that one was also an animation rendered in a novel way and not an easy sell. Shazam seems easier to sell than ITSV at least imo.

14 minutes ago, a2k said:

Didn't think it should have trouble beating ITSV which broke out mostly in the US. Spiderman is more recognisable but that one was also an animation rendered in a novel way and not an easy sell. Shazam seems easier to sell than ITSV at least imo.

Curious why you'd think that? I think ITSV is/was a much easier sell than Shazam in China.

Spiderman ITSV is so easy to market, recognisable name, brand and image, high quality animation that is perfect for taking kids to and was also popular with older fans of the character. 

Shazam is starting from zero in China with no real mainstream knowledge of the character or exactly who the movie is for.